ch-scene - [Internationalist] "Beautiful Tendons": local poet Jeffery Beam, Wed 10/28, 7 PM

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] "Beautiful Tendons": local poet Jeffery Beam, Wed 10/28, 7 PM
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 17:26:35 -0400

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919.942.1740
Open 11 AM to 8 PM, Mon-Sat; 12 to 6 PM Sun
www.internationalistbooks.org

IN THIS EMAIL:
1) Greetings and updates from the Internationalist!
2) Poetry reading Wed, 10/29: Jeffery Beam, "Beautiful Tendons"!
3) New "Women of Color Writers" section!
4) more upcoming events at the store!

1) GREETINGS AND UPDATES!

Dear friends and supporters,

Greetings from the Internationalist! As the weather gets chilly we're
buckling down in preparation for our holiday season. As everyone
knows, the economy?s heading downhill, thanks to the disastrous
economic policies prioritizing corporate profits over the well-being
of people and ecosystems around the world; here at the store we?re
feeling the pinch, too. But in spite of it all, we?re still alive and
kicking, and providing space for Chapel Hill?s progressive and radical
community to get informed, connected, and active!

We?ve just had our annual member meeting, at which we screened a film
about Internationalist founder Bob Sheldon and discussed the state of
the store over the last year, as well as potential plans to move to a
new location. Over the next month we?ve got some exciting events,
from Buy Nothing Day to poetry, film, and music. We?ve also got some
great newly arrived new and used books in stock, including a brand new
section focusing on women of color writers. We?ll be closing early on
Halloween in anticipation of the Franklin Street celebration, but
apart from that we?ll be here during our regular hours for whenever
you need something to read or a place to hang out and connect with
other activists. Keep your eyes peeled for celebratory events as the
last days of the Bush regime dwindle away. But remember, no matter
who becomes the next president, we need strong social movements to
struggle for justice ? and we?re here to support your efforts.

Keep loving and keep fighting,
Nick Shepard
Co-manager, Internationalist Books and Community Center

2) JEFFERY BEAM READS FROM "BEAUTIFUL TENDONS: UNCOLLECTED QUEER
POEMS, 1969-2007"

On Wednesday, October 29th at 7 PM, renowned poet and Hillsborough
resident Jeffery Beam will bring his latest collection of riveting,
passionate poems to Internationalist Books! The Beautiful Tendons:
Uncollected Queer Poems 1969-2007 brings together more than three
decades of lyrical, metaphysical Gay poetry from native North
Carolinian Jeffery Beam. The vast majority of these poems are
unpublished in any of his previously published books, but were
originally published in many of the most important gay magazines &
anthologies of the latter half of the 20th century.

3) NEW "WOMEN OF COLOR WRITERS" SECTION!

We've got a brand new section at the Internationalist focusing on
authors and writers who are women of color. Challenge yourself to
understand perspectives informed by intersecting oppressions
articulated by brilliant writers who live in the crosshairs of racism
and sexism. You'll find exciting titles of multicultural feminist and
womanist anthologies, African-American women's fiction, diverse
selections of poetry, drama, history, and a lot more, at affordable
prices. If you like Zora Neale Hurston, June Jordan, bell hooks,
Arundhati Roy, and other similar writers, stop by this month to check
out our new display!

4) MORE UPCOMING EVENTS!

All events take place at the Internationalist (405 W. Franklin St.)
unless otherwise noted.

WED 11/19, 7 PM: FILM SCREENING + DISCUSSION WITH FILMMAKERS: "TROUBLE
IN THE WATER"
A young African-American man deals with racial alienation from within
his own community in this powerful short film that has been named an
official selection for both the Eugene International Film Festival and
the San Diego Black Film Festival, among others. "Trouble In The
Water" deals with complex subjects like self-mockery and racial
identity in a sensitive and localized manner, but still forces viewers
to think about the issue on a larger scale. The film has been aired
locally on PBS' Carolina Visions and Time-Warner's Second Cinema. Now
Internationalist Books & Community Center is not only pleased to
present the film, but to also have a Q&A session afterwards with
creators Jim McQuaid and Roger Edwards. Come out for an insightful
discussion on a challenging topic that does not get the regular
attention that it deserves.

TUES, 11/25, 6 PM: POLITICAL PRISON LETTER WRITING NIGHT
Join us at the Internationalist to support political prisoners froma
variety of radical struggles including black freedom, earth and animal
liberation, and other social movements. Info and addresses will be
available and snacks, envelopes, and stamps provided.

FRI, 11/28: BUY NOTHING DAY!
The yearly protest of consumerism, inspired by Adbusters magazine,
will feature a day of sharing skills and resources. We'll be open for
our regular hours, but no money will be exchanged. Help oppose the
brutally exploitative and wasteful consumer economy by boycotting the
biggest shopping day of the year and forging connections with other
like-minded people! More details to come soon.

ONGOING EVENTS:

RADICAL MENTAL HEALTH COLLECTIVE
Join us every Sunday at 6 PM for the weekly meeting of the Radical
Mental Health Collective, Sundays at 6pm. This group provides
discussion and support for people around mental health issues, based
on a model developed by the Icarus Project (theicarusproject.net). For
more information, please email rileysparkles AT gmail.com.

INTERNATIONALIST PRISON BOOKS COLLECTIVE
The Internationalist sponsors a program that sends free books and
literature to people incarcerated in Mississippi and Alabama. Since
2006 the Books to Prisoners collective has mailed educational
materials to thousands of prisoners, building solidarity with networks
of activists inside and out of prison agitating for justice and
alternatives to the prison system, while meeting a direct and urgent
need. There are many ways to get involved:

-Come fill requests at the weekly book-wrapping, which takes place
every Sunday from 1-4 PM at 218 N. Graham St. in Chapel Hill.

-DONATE books by dropping them off at the Internationalist!
Particularly in demand are dictionaries, thesauruses, African-American
history, culture, and fiction, self-help, Spanish language,
GED/education, and more (paperbacks only).

For more information, check out www.prisonbooks.info.

NEW LOCAL SKILLSHARE / FREE SKOOL!

Do you like to make stuff, learn things, and teach others? A local
Skillshare/DIY/Art Collective, Free Skool, Radical Event Bulletin, and
Space/Material/Tool Share is being formed. This is a way for local
creative types to find each other to make and do stuff together. There
are a lot of innovative, skilled, and imaginative people in this area.
Let's pool our knowledge, skills, and resources to exponentialize our
creative input and output. So if you want to make masks or soap or
vegan liqueurs or a rope ladder or a mud oven or collaged formal wear
or tamales or hula hoops or pretty much anything else, or find others
to play soccer or practice tai chi with, or host a workshop on blowing
glass or screen-printing, or organize a potluck or salon, or just put
out an idea to the community; check this thing out. This is a way to
get your desires out of your head and into the awareness of lots of
other like-minded local people. Let's get together for the artistic
and practical. This is completely non-commercial and local. The
website is http://people.tribe.net/papokha. (Please email
papokha AT gmail.com to make postings or with any questions.)

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: