ch-scene - stuff to do, week of September 13, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of September 13, 2008
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 13:02:07 -0400

Saturday, September 13
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Razpa (http://www.myspace.com/razpamusic)
CCB Plaza (aka The Bull's Balls), Durham

Durham Parks & Rec have been going all-out this year with their series of afternoon rockshows on the plaza downtown. This one brings together the uber-anthemic fists-in-the-air rocknroll of Red Collar with the Latin-meets-indie rock of Chapel Hill's Razpa. The show will start at 5:30 or pretty darn close thereafter, so don't be tardy.

Saturday, September 13
Dead to Society (http://www.myspace.com/deadtosociety101)
The Homewreckers (http://www.myspace.com/jackandjillhomewrecker)
The Aints (http://www.myspace.com/latterdayaints)
Marvell Building, Durham

This is an early (7:00) all-ages punkrock show. The Homewreckers are beginning to build something of a buzz around Durham.

Saturday, September 13
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Saturday, September 13
Twilighter (http://twilighter.net/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Twilighter seem equally influenced by daily life in rural Orange & Chatham, and the Velvet Underground.

Saturday, September 13
The Moaners (http://www.themoaners.com/)
Filthybird (http://www.myspace.com/filthybird)
The Alcazar Hotel (http://www.myspace.com/thealcazarhotel)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Filthybird make great swirling stormclouds of sound, driven by frontwoman Renee Mendoza's piano & otherworldly vocals. Their "Southern Skies" was in my top-10 albums of 2007.

Sunday, September 14
The Ex-Monkeys (http://www.myspace.com/theexmonkeys)
Polynya (http://www.myspace.com/polynyapolynya)
Pour House, Raleigh

Polynya are happy to wear their influences (Cure, Stereolab) on their poofy sleeves. Ex-Monkeys are 2/3rds of the late-90s trip-hop band Friend Side Monkey, and as of now, at least, it's safe to say that they've picked up more or less where FSM left off. Too soon to know what the future holds.

This show is free, but the hat that's passed will be donated to the Cy Rawls Benevolence Fund.

Sunday, September 14
T.K. Webb (http://www.nypress.com/15/23/music/musicreviews2.cfm)
Witchcraft (http://witchcrafthome.com/)
Graveyard (http://www.myspace.com/graveyardsongs)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, September 15
Black Skies (http://blackskies.us/)
Howl (http://www.myspace.com/howlheavymetal)
Aquila (http://www.myspace.com/beyondvega)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Tuesday, September 16
DJ Nasty Boots
Tussle (http://www.tussle.org)
Black Congo (http://www.myspace.com/blackcongonc)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, September 16
The Karloffs
Virgo 9 (http://www.myspace.com/thevirgonine)
Joe Buck (http://www.myspace.com/joebuckyourselfmotherfucker)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, September 16
Micah Blue Smaldone (http://www.micahbluesmaldone.com/)
Death Vessel (http://www.myspace.com/deathvessel)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, September 17
Left Outlet (http://www.myspace.com/leftoutlet)
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
Secada (http://myspace.com/realsecada)
Marvell Building, Durham

Pink Flag are the new all-woman punkrock band with Betsy Shane (Lam! Lam!, Teh Vodak).

Wednesday, September 17
Joe Romeo & the Orange County Volunteers (http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic)
Soft Company (http://www.myspace.com/softcompany)
Brothers & Sisters (http://www.myspace.com/brothersandsistersmusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Joe Romeo & his Orange County Volunteers make country-rock in the fine tradition of cracked country raconteurs like Loudon Wainwright. Soft Company are a strange multi-tentacled pop entity, with a manic energy, and a loose relationship to the groove.

Wednesday, September 17
Phon
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/)
Extra Life (http://www.myspace.com/extralifetheband)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, September 18
Roxcetera (http://www.myspace.com/roxcetera)
CCB Plaza (aka The Bull's Balls), Durham

I'm guessing this is a reschedule of the Roxcetera show that got rained out earlier this summer. There were some other womam-led bands on the bill then, but the website just says "and Guests" now, so perhaps not everyone was able to reschedule.

No matter. Roxcetera alone are worth yr notice: they're a resurrection of the crazy all-woman metal band Roxxotica, augmented by some new members and a few years during which the prime movers have spent a lot of their spare time running Girls Rock NC. I'm guessing it was impossible for them *not* to be inspired by all the crazed energy coming off of roomfuls of 12-year-old girls with guitars.
http://girlsrocknc.blogspot.com/

Thursday, September 18
Laurie Anderson (http://www.laurieanderson.com/)
Page Auditorium, Durham

I've seen Laurie Anderson do music (both live & on film), and I've seen her do more-or-less spoken word, and while I enjoyed both, I'm happy to hear via David Menconi that this show is "one-third politics, one-third strange dreams and one-third just pure music."

http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/1215682.html

She goes on to say "It started with trying to describe what's going on in the U.S. through two filters -- love and war . . . Quite frankly, much of the thinking behind this is based on rage and astonishment at a lot of cultural developments."

Which is more or less where I'm at right now, so I can't wait.

Thursday, September 18
The Trousers
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Strange Faces (http://www.myspace.com/strangefacestheband)
The Young Sons (http://www.myspace.com/theyoungsons)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

This is another show under the SPARKcon umbrella.
http://www.sparkcon.com/

Thursday, September 18
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
Secret Message Machine (http://www.myspace.com/secretmessagemachine)
Summer Camp Casanova (http://www.myspace.com/summercampcasanova)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Thursday, September 18
Hiss Golden Messenger
Dame Satan (http://www.myspace.com/damesatan)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, September 18
The Infamous Sugar
Shake it Like a Caveman (http://www.shakeitlikeacaveman.com/)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

This evening marks the start of this year's SPARKcon, and this show is one of many this weekend that fall under the musicSPARK umbrella (SPARKcon itself is highly multimodal, with workshows & discussions during the day, and entertainment/events spanning all the creative arts, from visual to fashion to film to music).
http://www.sparkcon.com/

Both the Infamous Sugar and Shake it Like a Caveman are one- (or sometimes two-) man garage-rock/soul freakout bands.

Friday, September 19
Dom Casual (http://www.myspace.com/domcasual)
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
Pizza Palace, Durham

If you've been putting off making a trip to a show at the Pizza Palace, this one's the one to hit. I can't think of a better venue for Dom Casual's weird narrative surf-garage, and Killer Filler's instrumental take on the same, than a giant geodesic dome redolent with the smells of pizza & beer.

Friday, September 19
Wreckless Eric (http://www.myspace.com/wrecklesseric)
Amy Rigby (http://www.myspace.com/amyrigby07)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Briefly: Wreckless Eric was part of the original Stiff Records roster, but he left the label in 1980 and has recorded sporadically ever since, releasing stuff himself or on small labels. Amy Rigby moved to NYC in '76, and though she was around for the whole CBGB scene, she didn't start making records until the mid-late '80s. Her solo career took off in the '90s, after her divorce from dBs drummer Will Rigby, with her album "Diary of a Mod Housewife."

Nowadays she lives in France with Wreckless Eric, whom she married earlier this year; they just released an album called "Wreckless Eric & Amy Rigby".

Friday, September 19
Kenny Roby (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Terry Anderson (http://www.terryandersonrocks.com/)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

This is another SPARKcon related show. It's part of their storySPARK series, which I assume means Kenny & Terry will be talking about the stories behind their songs. I can't imagine they'd go without playing a few, however.
http://www.sparkcon.com/

Saturday, September 20
The Showteens (http://www.myspace.com/theshowteens)
Aminal Music (http://www.myspace.com/theaminalmusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, September 20
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Gaslight Anthem (http://www.myspace.com/thegaslightanthem)
American Steel (http://www.myspace.com/amsteel)
Polar Bear Club (http://www.myspace.com/polarbearclub)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, September 20
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, September 21
Sawteeth McTweedy and the Particles (http://www.myspace.com/sawteethmctweedy)
Scientific Superstar (http://www.myspace.com/scientificsuperstar)
Batata Doce (http://www.myspace.com/batatadoce)
Gary Eddy (http://www.myspace.com/garyeddyonline)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Monday, September 22
Western Civ. (http://westerncivrock.com)
Throw Me the Statue (http://www.myspace.com/throwmethestatue)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, September 23
Regina Hexaphone (http://www.reginahexaphone.com)
Band of Annuals (http://www.bandofannuals.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, September 23
Rahim (http://www.rahimrahim.org/)
Win Win Winter (http://www.myspace.com/winwinwinter)
Reservoir, Carrboro

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of September 13, 2008, grady, 09/13/2008