ch-scene - Stuff to do, week of August 23, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, week of August 23, 2008
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 12:03:10 -0400

Don't forget, as well, about the "secondhand freespace" panel discussion series at Local 506, kicking off this Wednesday the 27th with a discussion about booking.

Saturday, August 23
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

It says on the calendar that this is a Maple Stave CD-release show, but I swear it's only been maybe a year since the last Maple Stave EP, and I kinda thought they were on the 3-year plan. EP or not, these are three of the best bands in Durham, and all three are totally in their element onstage.

Saturday, August 23
Arrogance (http://www.arrogance.us/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is billed as "an evening with," complete with both an acoustic and an electric set.

Saturday, August 23
Lam! Lam! (http://www.myspace.com/lamlamband)
Sawteeth McTweedy and the Particles (http://www.myspace.com/sawteethmctweedy)
The Bicycats (http://www.myspace.com/thebicycats)
James Joyce, Durham

Oh Lam! Lam!, we hardly knew ye! Some people start one-woman bands because they can't stand playing with anybody else, and some people start one-woman bands because they don't happen to have anybody else to play with. I guess Betsy Shane falls into the latter camp, because nowadays she's got at least two other bands, Pink Flag and Teh Vodak, and thus she's closing the door on Lam! Lam! . . . so this is yr chance to witness her Rrriott Madddonnnaa moves.

Saturday, August 23
Clang Quartet (http://www.myspace.com/clangquartet)
Inspector 22
Crowmeat Bob
Secret Boyfriend (http://www.myspace.com/scrtboyfriend)
USA Baby
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

For some of you, your list of "things I didn't know about Cy Rawls" probably includes "used to book Nightlight." The thing I admire most about Cy is his fearlessness, coupled with his willingness to try just about any-damn-thing, at least once, and often more.

So it's entirely fitting that this lineup of like-minded souls is assembled as a benefit for our man Cy.

Saturday, August 23
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/)
Hate Prose (http://www.myspace.com/hateprose)
Night of the Wolf (http://www.myspace.com/nightofthewolfmusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, August 23
Love As Laughter
Oxford Collapse (http://www.oxfordcollapse.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, August 23
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies (http://www.myspace.com/violetvectorandthelovelylovelies)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

This is a benefit for Cy Rawls, with the Badfingery Britrock of the Magic Babies and the wall-o-girl-group sound of Violet Vector & the Lovely Lovelies.

Monday, August 25
A/V Geeks (http://www.avgeeks.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The name of this show is "S is for Sissies," and it's also a benefit for Cy Rawls.

Monday, August 25
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
The Howlies (http://www.myspace.com/thehowlies)
The Barberries (http://www.myspace.com/thebarberries)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Tuesday, August 26
The Howlies (http://www.myspace.com/thehowlies)
Giant Tigers (http://www.myspace.com/gianttigers)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, August 26
Bolth (http://www.myspace.com/bolth)
Hell, Chapel Hill

Left-wing Indianapolis hardcore.

Wednesday, August 27
Grass Widow (http://www.myspace.com/grasswidow)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

It says on the website that this is Grass Widow's final show.

Thursday, August 28
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Thursday, August 28
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
Rosewood Thieves
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, August 28
The Dutchess and the Duke (http://www.myspace.com/thedutchessandtheduke)
James Jackson Toth (http://www.myspace.com/jamesjacksontoth)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, August 28
Dirty Johnny and the Make-Believes (http://futureperfectmedia.com/dirtyjohnny.htm)
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.myspace.com/thedirtylittleheaters)
Sticks and Stones
Reservoir, Carrboro

The word on the street (oh, OK, on Facebook) is that the Dirty Little Heaters have been recording, so you may as well begin bracing yourself now.

Thursday, August 28
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Monsonia (http://www.monsonia.com)
Grappling Hook (http://www.myspace.com/torchmaraudersgrapplinghook)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Monsonia are finally formally releasing their first full-length, Growler, which is a tight Shellacky ball of rhythm & vitriol. And bless 'em, they're driving direct to the heart of Raleigh with a pair of Durham's favorite, and most esoteric, bands.

Cantwell Gomez & Jordan you know about by now. They love you, but they're entirely disinterested in your opinion of their band.

The Grappling Hook are a massive fantasy/space-metal juggernaut; humor, yes, but not irony.

Thursday, August 28
Blood Red River (http://www.myspace.com/bloodredriver)
Slugnut (http://www.slugnut.com)
Agent Orange (http://www.myspace.com/agentorange)
No Revolution (http://www.myspace.com/norevolutionband)
Volume 11 Tavern, Raleigh

Friday, August 29
Starmount (http://www.myspace.com/starmountmusic)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Friday, August 29
Superchunk (http://www.superchunk.com)
The Rosebuds (http://www.therosebuds.com/)
Birds of Avalon (http://www.myspace.com/birdsofavalon)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

If you didn't already know Cy, you might still be flummoxed by all the attention being paid, and all the benefits being thrown for him. The thing about Cy, though, is that the dude knows *everybody*, so of course you already understand why every great show by every great band you haven't seen in months/years is a Cy benefit.

Friday, August 29
Rat Jackson (http://www.myspace.com/ratjacksonmusic)
Pinche Gringo (http://www.myspace.com/pinchegringoband)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Pinche Gringo is what happens when Todd from the Gondoliers lights out for Mexico to become a one-man garage-rock sensation.

Friday, August 29
Ear Pwr (http://www.myspace.com/earpwr)
Adventure (http://www.myspace.com/adventuresound)
Rongorongo
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, August 29
Dirty Johnny and the Make-Believes (http://futureperfectmedia.com/dirtyjohnny.htm)
Sir Arthur and His Royal Knights (http://mannsworld.blogspot.com/2007/08/sir-arthur-his-royal-knights.html)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, August 30
Puritan Rodeo (http://www.thepuritanrodeoshow.blogspot.com/)
Filthybird (http://www.myspace.com/filthybird)
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
The Proclivities (http://www.myspace.com/theproclivities)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Rare weekend installment of the Cradle's Club Is Open free-local-music series. Greensboro's Filthybird put out one of 2007's best albums, "Southern Skies," so don't manage to miss 'em.

Saturday, August 30
Zuexeus (http://zuexeus.com/html/newz.html)
Monsonia (http://www.monsonia.com)
Donny Hue and the Colors (http://saucerecords.com/donny_hue.htm)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Fresh off their Slims CD-release, wherein they introduced Late Night Raleigh to some of Durham's finest, Monsonia bring the party to Chapel Hill. This time they mix it up even further, bringing you, from outer space, Zuexeus (a.k.a. former Wilmington punkrock kingpin Chris Murray), and from Brooklyn, Donny Hue & the Colors.

Saturday, August 30
Western Civ. (http://westerncivrock.com)
Instant Jones (http://www.myspace.com/instantjonesrocks)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Saturday, August 30
Joe Romeo & the Orange County Volunteers (http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sunday, August 31
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

It has been far too long since Durham's Midtown Dickens have graced us with their presence. Since their last visit, they've added a member *and* learned how to play not just their own instruments, but many many others as well. 4:00 p.m, 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, August 31
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls (http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
The I Don't Cares
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, August 31
Polynya (http://www.myspace.com/polynyapolynya)
Summerbirds in the Cellar (http://www.summerbirds.com/)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Tuesday, September 2
The Winter Sounds (http://www.thewintersounds.com)
Soft Company (http://www.myspace.com/softcompany)
Chops
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Soft Company are one of my favorite local bands -- with current/former members of all my other favorite local bands, including Piedmont Charisma, Hotel Motel, Le Weekend, and Erie Choir, it'd be hard for 'em not to be -- and if you like the idea of early Roxy Music melodic chaos wedded with pianist Erin Riding's weirdo lyrical sensibilities, they may be yours as well.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------