ch-scene - The Gates of Beauty is playing on Friday, August 22

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Anne Gomez <annemgomez AT hotmail.com>
  • To: altmusic chapelhill <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: The Gates of Beauty is playing on Friday, August 22
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 16:10:11 -0400

Friday, August 22 at BCHQ (723 N. Mangum St., Durham), 9 p.m.: The Debacle
(aka The Scott Waite Debacle)CairoThe Gates of BeautyClawform The Gates of
Beauty is me on bass, Wendy Spitzer (Lemming Malloy, Felix Obelix) on bass
and Shannon Morrow (Scene of the Crime Rovers, Mahasamatman) on drums and
occasional keyboard. We all 'sing,' sometimes simultaneously. We would like
to think we sound something like the Ruins and the Slits having a drunken tea
party, but that might be setting the bar a little too high. The Debacle is a
punk/prog trio headed by Seattle import Scott Waite [Rob and Eleni of Beloved
Binge have been on a mission to move their friends here from Seattle after
Beloved Binge relocated here a few years ago; they were successful with
Scott, to our benefit]. The Debacle is definitely a 'punk rock' band, but
it's got a King Crimson/Return to Forever/Mahavishnu Orchestra vibe going on
that will satisfy your hidden love of jazz fusion. And I kinda hear a little
Steely Dan in there too. How can you go wrong? Cairo is a band containing
another of Rob and Eleni's recent transplants from Seattle. I don't know
what Cairo sounds like, but I'm hoping for some mixture of Beloved Binge and
The Debacle, with a little Mudhoney and Stone Temple Pilots thrown in for
good measure. I hear Eleni might be playing drums. Clawform is Colin Booy's
solo metal banjo project - not to be missed. And maybe, if we're lucky,
he'll wear his hot pants. In fact, I'm making a special request. NOTE: The
order of bands is as above, with Clawform playing first, and Gates of Beauty
second. So get there early! Some other things I'm doing: 8/15 (today):
Durham Third Fridays Celebration w/Scene of the Crime Rovers (7 pm) - Scrap
Exchange.8/17: Cy Rawls Benefit Show: Fin Fang Foom, Double Negative,
Polvo, Cantwell Gomez and Jordan, and Magic Babies (7:30 pm) - Cat's
Cradle.8/23: Maple Stave CD Release Show w/Cantwell Gomez and Jordan and Red
Collar - BCHQ.8/28: Monsonia CD Release Show w/Cantwell Gomez and Jordan and
The Grappling Hook - Slim's.8/29: Paperhand Puppet Intervention w/Scene of
the Crime Rovers - Forest Theatre, UNC Campus.8/30: Paperhand Puppet
Intervention w/Triangle Soundpainting Orchestra - Forest Theatre, UNC Campus.
If you've gotten this far, thanks for reading! See you soon,Anne Gomez

P.S. Sorry if you've gotten more than one email about this show.

Be the filmmaker you always wanted to be—learn how to burn a DVD with
Windows®.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/108588797/direct/01/