ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, this weekend (August 15/16, 2008)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "martin hall" <mdhall005 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, this weekend (August 15/16, 2008)
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 15:38:43 -0400

Grady may still have plans to list these two events, but I thought I would
throw them out there just in case:

FRIDAY - AUGUST 15th
ROBERT POLLARD ART EXHIBITION
Merge Records Corporate Headquarters - 409 E Chapel Hill St, Durham NC
6pm

I'm assuming this is part of Durham's Third Friday Art Walk (officially, or
unofficially), and I strongly recommend both.
I went by earlier today to check out Pollard's collages and artwork and it
was pretty impressive stuff. The man himself will be there to play host and
perhaps revel you with tales of rock n roll debauchery (who knows?).
Unfortunately I have to work and will miss the official event.

SATURDAY - AUGUST 16th
PIEDMONT BIO-FUELS/GIRLS ROCK NC BENEFIT
Piedmont Bio-Fuels - PIttsboro, NC (directions:
http://biofuels.coop/industrial-directions/)

Doors/Gates Open at 4:30pm; bands start at 5:00pm (unfortunately I am not
priviy to the exact order of the bands).
$5 suggested donation.

Featuring performances by: ROXCETERA, ABOVE GRAVITY, VELVET, MIDTOWN
DICKENS.

Also performing will be three bands that emerged from the Womens Rock
Retreat (Girls Rock Camp for Grownups) earlier this month:
Side Effects; Rhythm Sects; and Cleavage & The Booby Traps.

Should be fun for the whole family. Feel free to bring your own picnic,
blanket, lawn chairs and drinks.

-5er

*AUGUST 16*
Piedmont Biofuels in Pittsboro will host a band showcase from 4-7pm
featuring music from Midtown Dickens, Velvet, bands from the Women's Rock
Retreat Weekend (Side Effects, Rhythm Sects, Cleavage and the Booby Traps),
and Roxcetera (featuring all three GRNC directors!) to benefit GRNC
scholarships and programming. (Flyer attached)

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 12:59 PM, grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote:

> I'm typing this in the middle of Union Square Park. Free public wi-fi is
> just so damn civilized . . .
>
> Friday, August 8
> Sarah Lee Guthrie and Johnny Irion (http://www.sarahleeandjohnny.com)
> Jeff Crawford
> Cat's Cradle, Carrboro
>

> Friday, August 8
> Pylon (http://www.myspace.com/wearepylon)
> Gravel Truck (http://www.myspace.com/mitcheasterband)
> The Werehouse, Winston-Salem
>
> Gravel Truck is billed as "Mitch Easter playing songs of his beloved
> '80s band Let's Active with a special line-up of musicians." Which, by
> the end of it, was basically the description of Let's Active itself, so
> there you go.
>
> Adding to your South '80s deja vu: Pylon, who drew raves when they
> played the Local 506 on their last reunion tour thingy.
>
> This is all peripherally connected to a Winston-Salem film festival
> called Revolve. http://www.revolvefestival.com/
>

> Friday, August 8
> The Travesties
> Lemming Malloy (http://www.myspace.com/lemmingmalloymusic)
> Weatherkings (http://www.myspace.com/weatherkingsband)
> Local 506, Chapel Hill
>
> Where to begin? The Travesties feature Viva, Dave & Tim from [the
> original] Jett Rink, plus Chuck Garrison on drums and Doug White on
> keys. They're a little more laid-back than Jett Rink were, and Veev does
> a bit more singing & a bit less frantic yelling & leaping around.
>
> Weatherkings is the latest outfit to feature ex-Fake Swedish guitarist
> Eric Haugen.
>
> And Lemming Malloy? Well, several of them are veterans of the
> now-defunct sci-fi nerd-rock band Eyes To Space, and the songs on their
> MySpace sounded kinda similar to their old band. Main difference, near
> as I can tell, is that they've traded in their matching jumpsuits for,
> ahem, "stea****k" kit. RIYL superfluous goggles.
>

> Friday, August 8
> Whale Watchers
> Starmount (http://www.myspace.com/starmountmusic)
> Slim's Downtown, Raleigh
>

> Saturday, August 9
> Eberhardt (http://www.myspace.com/eberhardtnc)
> Gemini Wolf (http://www.myspace.com/geminiwolf)
> Bull City Headquarters, Durham
>

> Saturday, August 9
> I Was Totally Destroying It
> (http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
> Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band (http://www.conoroberst.com/)
> Evangelicals (http://www.myspace.com/evangelicals)
> Cat's Cradle, Carrboro
>

> Sunday, August 10
> Like Hell I Will
> Tubers (http://www.myspace.com/tubers)
> Alligator (http://www.myspace.com/alligatorsucks)
> Bull City Headquarters, Durham
>

> Sunday, August 10
> The Moaners (http://www.themoaners.com/)
> Sixgun Lullaby (http://www.myspace.com/roboticconcubine)
> The Cave, Chapel Hill
>

> Sunday, August 10
> [...]

  • Re: stuff to do, this weekend (August 15/16, 2008), martin hall, 08/15/2008