ch-scene - stuff to do, week of July 20, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of July 20, 2008
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 10:54:14 -0400

Cy Rawls had better hurry up and get well soon, because I don't know what I'm going to do without him emailing me corrections and random anecdotes about the time he drove to Chicago to see some band that the rest of us have only seen at the Cradle . . .

Sunday, July 20
Adam Arcuragi (http://www.adamarcuragi.net/)
The XYZ Affair (http://www.myspace.com/thexyzaffair)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, July 21
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Ear Pwr (http://www.myspace.com/earpwr)
Rongorongo
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Monday, July 21
The Ex-Monkeys (http://www.myspace.com/theexmonkeys)
Bear Colony (http://www.myspace.com/thebearcolony)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The Ex-Monkeys are Ian Shannon & Eddy Winstead, aka 2/3rds of the late-90s electronic band Friend Side Monkey. After a decade or so in the woodshed, Ian & Eddy re-emerged earlier this year with an album of downtempo techno/trip-hop that, well, sounds a whole lot like Friend Side Monkey did.

FSM's local claim to fame was always that they could pull it off live, so I'm glad to see Ex-Monkeys taking a shot at that same distinction.

Monday, July 21
Man Will Destroy Himself
Infernal Stronghold
Hip Cops
Nothing Is Over
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Tuesday, July 22
Pacific Before Tiger
Olafur Arnalds
Gross Ghost
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, July 22
The Homewreckers (http://www.myspace.com/jackandjillhomewrecker)
Pink Flag (http://www.myspace.com/pinkflagnc)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Pink Flag are a brand-new all-woman 3-piece with Betsy Shane (Lam! Lam!) on guitar & vocals, and that's all I know about them.

Tuesday, July 22
Rat Jackson (http://www.myspace.com/ratjacksonmusic)
Tooth (http://www.myspace.com/toothrocks)
Tournament (http://www.myspace.com/tournamenttournament)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tooth are the best metal band in the Triangle, hands down. Rat Jackson are working more of the snotty garage-rock angle.

Tuesday, July 22
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
Bloodcow (http://www.myspace.com/bloodcow1)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Wednesday, July 23
Delay (http://www.myspace.com/delay)
Resist Not (http://myspace.com/resistnot)
Annabel (http://www.myspace.com/annabelrock)
Friendly Fire (http://www.myspace.com/friendlyfireva)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Wednesday, July 23
Lam! Lam! (http://www.myspace.com/lamlamband)
The New South Tour (http://profile.myspace.com/newsouthtour)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Lam! Lam! is Betsy Shane, her guitar & her iPod, rocking out the punk/riot/dance jamz. This is part of some amorphous weeklong thing called FemmeFest, but near as I can tell, "New South Tour" is three boys from Virginia.

Wednesday, July 23
Vagabond
Headline (http://www.myspace.com/theheadlinenc)
Old Folks (http://www.myspace.com/oldfolksband)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, July 25
The Strugglers (http://www.thestrugglers.org/)
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Citified (http://www.citifiedband.org/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The shoegaze/dreampop of Gray Young & Citified meet the mournful country-soul brilliance of Randy Bickford's Strugglers.

Friday, July 25
New Artica (http://www.myspace.com/newartica)
Run Dan Run (http://www.myspace.com/rundanrun)
Easy Company (http://www.myspace.com/easycompanync)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, July 25
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
The Heavy Pets (http://www.myspace.com/theheavypetsraleighnc)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

The Loners are, of course, Raleigh's finest gtr/drums garage-stomp rockband. The Heavy Pets are the current southern-rock project of Art Jackson (ex-Mercury Birds, ex-All Night).

Saturday, July 26
Dr. Powerful (http://drpowerful.googlepages.com)
Fortress of Swatches (http://www.purevolume.com/fortressofswatches)
Cinemasophia (http://www.myspace.com/cinemasophia)
Ugh, God (http://www.myspace.com/ughgod)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

The only ones I know about are Dr. Powerful, and all I really know about them is that they're a sort of indie/spacerock band from Sanford. Oh, and their drummer Eddie Watkins was the original Polvo drummer.

Saturday, July 26
Beloved Binge (http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge)
Light Pollution (http://www.myspace.com/lightpollution)
Saint Peter Pocket Veto (http://www.myspace.com/thesaintpeterpocketveto)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

The countdown is on: Beloved Binge managed to buy themselves a VW Vanagon Westfalia, so all the pieces are falling into place for their year-long tour starting this fall. See 'em while you can, because you know you're gonna miss their off-kilter gtr/drums call-and-response artrock.

Saturday, July 26
Veronique Diabolique (http://www.veroniquediabolique.com/)
Simple (http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecomsimple)
Fan Tan (http://www.myspace.com/fantanrock)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

In the 15+ years that I've lived here, I've seen plenty of bands move to town en masse: Tangeena Barren, Transportation, Gerty, Fin Fang Foom, Beloved Binge, Western Civ . . .

Now I'm sitting here wracking my brains, trying to think of even *one* band who moved away together, and maybe it's just my nature (out of sight, out of mind . . .) but I can't think of any.

Fan-Tan come pretty close, though. They weren't a band when they lived here, but all four of 'em (Kuki Kooks, Sandee Kooks, Ryan Dunlap, Mike Walters) are from Chapel Hill, played in tons of bands (Jett Rink, Fashion Design, North Elementary), and moved to NY at about the same time. First thing to do in any new city: find yr fellow ex-pats & form a band?

Saturday, July 26
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
Bastard Sword
Reservoir, Carrboro

Is it unusual for dudes as scruffy as Transportation's Robbie & Stevie to sing so sweetly together? Around here it is, anyway. The music runs the gamut of '70s-influenced styles, from Queen to Wings to (on record, at least) a bit of Billy Joel piano, but the harmonies are the constant Z-factor.

Sunday, July 27
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Embarrassing Fruits are an indie-rock trio from Chapel Hill. Frontman Joe Norkus is a member of the original Trekky Records stable, dating back to his high-school band days in Straight No Chaser & Westfalia. While at UNC-G he was a member of warbly indie-rockers Mortar & Pestle. Embarrassing Fruits are more straight-ahead '90s-style Chapel Hill indie-rock; they have a new EP due out in August.

Get a [live] preview at 4:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, July 27
Capitol City Five
Gospel Jubilators
Sarah P. Duke Gardens, Durham

Duke Performances' Music in the Garden series continues with a couple of Triangle-area black a-capella gospel acts. The combined ages of the gentlemen in these two groups looks to be about 600 years, and I'd lay odds that most of them have been singing since they were old enough to walk.

Rick Cornell wrote an article about the Capitol City Five for the Indy earlier this year.

The show starts at 7:00 and if it rains, which it often does, there'll be a big ol' tent to sit under.

Monday, July 28
Ours (http://www.myspace.com/oursmusic)
God or Julie (http://www.myspace.com/godorjulie)
Plain Jane Automobile (http://www.myspace.com/plainjaneautomobile)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

In case you were on the fence about this Monday-night show of out-of-town bands I've never heard of: it's a non-smoking show. So at least you won't have to undress on the porch, shower before bed, or go to work Tuesday feeling like a TB patient.

Tuesday, July 29
Stella By Starlight (http://www.myspace.com/stellabystarlightband)
Pictures in Braille
April Covers
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, July 29
Valient Thorr (http://www.valientthorr.com/)
Early Man (http://www.earlymanarmy.com)
Monotonix (http://www.monotonix.com/)
H.O.W.
Volume 11 Tavern, Raleigh

Valient Thorr's first local show since Valient Himself donated a kidney to his ailing father a few months ago (He took a few weeks to recuperate and then headed out on a European tour).

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------