ch-scene - Shows This Week (*Sons, The Hem of His Garment) + More

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Jenks Miller" <horsebacknoise AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Shows This Week (*Sons, The Hem of His Garment) + More
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 17:01:53 -0400

*Wednesday, July 9th @ Local 506*
**Sons* plays with *Imaad Wasif*. For those unfamiliar, **Sons* is a local
psych-rock act formed a couple years ago when Scott Endres (of Kimchee
Records' *Suntan*) moved from Boston to Chapel Hill. Originally, the band
was a five-piece with three guitar players and an immense wall-of-sound
quality. I replaced Jon, the original drummer, for a couple shows when he
moved back to Arkansas, but then that whole lineup disintegrated when more
folks moved away and/or started other projects. Scott spent some time
revamping his sound and wrote an entirely new set of songs. Then, as recent
as couple months ago, we started playing out again as a power-trio (Scott,
Adam Kish of Hazerai and Auxes on bass, and me). The band sounds a lot
different now ... Now I tell people that we sound like Lungfish covering
Spacemen 3, and that's not too far off I guess. Less bombastic, but more
restraint than before, cleaner, more mystical.

*Imaad Wasif and Two Part Beast* plays a sort of sprawling, Neil
Young-in-a-wind-tunnel kind of psych-Americana. Wasif's bio is pretty
impressive; here is what Allmusic says about him: "The Vancouver-born
singer/guitarist Imaad Wasif, who has lived in California and India, has
been a member of the bands *Lowercase*, *Alaska!*, and Lou Barlow's *New
Folk Implosion*. In 2006 he released his solo record, Imaad Wasif, and
joined *Yeah Yeah Yeahs* as a guitarist for their tour of the same year."
I'm really digging the songs on his myspace page.

Here's what the Independent wrote about this show (and don't ask me about
the punctuation discrepancies in our band name, because I never figured that
part out): "Strange Hexes, the second album from Los Angeles guitarist *Imaad
Wasif* under his own name and the first with a rhythm section he's calling
*Two
Part Beast*, builds colossal guitar walls around a solid indie rock
fortress. The guitar playing comes in long, winding, thick black lines, like
Neil Young howling past midnight with certain members of Pavement. The
nocturnal atmosphere fits, too, as Strange Hexes explores the manic
tendencies of someone in love, allowing Wasif's words of carnal pleasure and
mortal doom to pour from between the rhythms as if they were thoughts from a
madman's diary. Alternately plagued and charged by his paramour, Wasif
wrings his feelings free with his amplifier and his microphone, and he
manages both exceptionally well. Chapel Hill psych syndicate and punctuation
rebels *SONS** opens at *LOCAL 506. $8/ 9:30 p.m*."

*Friday, July 11th @ Nightlight*
*The Hem of His Garment* plays with *Judge Schreber's Avian Choir* and
*Bicameral
Mind*. This is a special show for a couple of reasons. First of all, *The
Hem* hasn't played together in a long time because we've all been busy with
tons of other shit. In fact, we'll probably be short a few members for this
show, because I think Grayson (Currin, of various musical writings and *Burly
Time Records*) will still be on a trip to the west coast, and Dave Cantwell
is otherwise occupied as well. But because this group doesn't have a set
membership (or even songs, for that matter), the number of people who show
up to play really only effects overall volume rather than quality. So it
will be good, even if it's just Aaron and David and Lincoln and Kerry
Cantwell and me droning out. Maybe we will be able to convince Bryce Eiman
and Shaun Sandor of *Bicameral Mind* to play with us.

Secondly, this show debuts Crowmeat Bob's latest colossal musical
undertaking, which he has called *Judge Schreber's Avian Choir*. The piece
they are performing, titled "Molt," has been described to me (in somewhat
hazy terms) as a doom-metal symphony with strings. This sounds really,
really awesome to me. Unfortunately, Crowmeat is sitting out *The
Hem's*performance on Friday, presumably because he does not want to
use up all his
killer riffs at once, or blow audience members' minds before they can hear
this new avian doom-choir thing. PS - I caught Crowmeat's avant-jazz combo
*Savage Knights* for the first time in maybe a year the other night at the
Silver Apples show and was floored. If you haven't seen the latest line-up,
check them out!!!

Here is a description of the show that I wrote for The Nightlight's website
and listserv:

*Judge Schreber's Avian Choir (Performing "Molt")* - Crowmeat Bob's latest
impossibly-ambitious musical endeavor involves a string ensemble playing
doom metal. This show marks the premier of this new group. The bird theme
seems pretty strong this time around; I, for one, am fascinated.

*Bicameral Mind* - Collaboration between Bryce Clayton Eiman and Shaun
Sandor of the 919Noise collective. They sound like "the television in an
abandoned factory, some radio at the bottom of the sea." The pedigrees of
these two accomplished collaborators make this project an essential facet of
our noise community.

*The Hem of His Garment* - Low-frequency drone collective that performs with
as few as 3, and as many as 16, musicians on guitars, bass, synths, horns,
etc.

*Coming Up: Caltrop CD-Release Party, Friday, July 18 @ Local 506*
I am pleased to relay a message to all of you out there who are following
the Triangle's increasingly-kickass metal scene. Psychedelic proto-doom
behemoths *Caltrop* are throwing a CD Release party for their debut
full-length (titled *World Class*) next *Friday, July 18th* at the *Local
506*. Heather and I have been losing our minds over this record here
at *Holidays
for Quince* headquarters, because it is sooooooo badass and really captures
how genuine these guys are, both on and off the stage. Those of us who
heard *Caltrop's* self-released EP from a couple years ago sort of knew what
to expect from their full-length: serpentine, dynamic riffs, complex
arrangements, and a jaw-dropping performance from virtuoso drummer John
Crouch. The full-length delivers all of these things, of course, but also
demonstrates a profound progression into uncharted territory: melodic, sung
vocals (even vocal harmonies!) and piano interludes now adorn Caltrop's
bottom-heavy sound, highlighting what is a seriously uplifting attitude from
these guys. The record is a tour-de-force, and I have no doubt that it will
eventually be considered among the best heavy records to come out of North
Carolina.

*The Curtains of Night*, another uber-heavy combo that *Holidays for
Quince*is proud to associate with, plays with
*Caltrop* on the *18th*. John Crouch is currently busy mastering
*TCoN's*full-length, which is a tense and tightly-wound record that
effectively
reconciles hypnotic doom-metal and minimal punk-rock fury. Brilliant
production from Nick Petersen preserves the band's raw power while mixing in
fuzzy sonic textures from more blown-out sound sources. The final product
promises to be an impossibly dense, half-hour slab of slow-crawl, southern
doom.

Juan Huevos' electro punx* Diamond Studs* round out a night of local music
that is not to be missed.

More info about HFQ bands (including *Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies*,
*In the Year of the Pig,* *Un Deux Trois, Mako Sica***, *Mount Moriah*, and
yours truly) at www.holidaysforquince.com or www.myspace.com/hfqrecords

--
Jenks Miller
www.myspace.com/horsebacknoise