ch-scene - Re: stuff to do, week of June 7, 2008-- Sat 6/14 at The Station/Southern Rail

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: The Pneurotics <pneurotics AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: stuff to do, week of June 7, 2008-- Sat 6/14 at The Station/Southern Rail
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 08:40:43 -0700 (PDT)

This Saturday, June 14, 10pm FREE! The Pneurotics and The Proclivities

Free show at "The Station" at Southern Rail in Carrboro, the new train
restaurant right next to Weaver Street Market. The Pneurotics and The
Proclivities will be playing their own brands of rock/folk/twang/pop. Both
bands have recently released new records, and we'll have copies of the CD's
there. And t-shirts.

The Station is a newer venue, and Southern Rail has great food, and a
fantastic outdoor patio. Their beer garden is quaint, a nice place to sit on
a cool evening (what's that?). The Station is a really cool room in the
front of Southern Rail with a wall of posters from old shows-- some classic
Ron Liberti's, with current bands, and bands of the past. The actual
physical bar was brought from DC and is reputed to have hosted such famous
writers as Hemingway and Twain.

Should be fun, great music, great atmosphere.

Mimi (pneurotics)
www.myspace.com/pneurotics
www.myspace.com/theproclivities

grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote:
It's gonna be 101 degrees today. That means it'll be 147 degrees inside
BCHQ. Luckily 2-piece bands don't throw off as much heat as the older
4-piece models do.

Saturday, June 7
Duo-Fest (http://www.myspace.com/durhamduofest)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Duo-Fest is back, and scarier than ever. 18 local/NC-based duos, trading
off between two stages to provide you a full 10 hours of unstoppable
two-person rock entertainment. OK, it's actually stoppable midway
through for vegan potluck dinner, but that's the only break you'll get:

3:00 - 2013 Wolves (back)
3:30 - Horned Goat Cookie Party (front)
4:00 - All Your Science (back)
4:30 - Manblossom (front)
5:00 - Resist Not! (back)
5:30 - Sawteeth McTweedy (front)
6:00 - The Scientific Superstar (back)
6:30 - Speedsquare (front)
7:00 ***DINNER BREAK!***
8:00 - Fortress of Swatches (back)
8:30 - Beloved Binge (front)
9:00 - The Saint Peter Pocket Veto (back)
9:30 - The Whole World Laughing (front)
10:00 - Sequoia (back)
10:30 - Spacelab (front)
11:00 - Apis Bull (back)
11:30 - Jews & Catholics (front)
12:00 - Opening Flower Happy Bird (back)
12:30 - Curtains of Night (front)

Saturday, June 7
Malt Swagger
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Hundred Air (http://www.myspace.com/hundredair)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Ultra-rare show for Durham's shimmery instrumental mega-group Malt
Swagger, who're all either old, or employed at Piedmont, or both, and
are thus generally otherwise occupied on a Saturday night.

Saturday, June 7
The Travesties
The Dirt
Reservoir, Carrboro

This is the debut show for The Travesties, who are:

Viva Cohen
Tim Ristau
Dave Perry
Doug White
Chuck Garrison

For those of you not keeping score at home, that's 3/5ths of the
original Jett Rink, plus one of the greatest rock drummers in the
southeast. And a guy named Doug who is really tall & was in My Dear Ella.

Sunday, June 8
Secret Boyfriend (http://www.myspace.com/scrtboyfriend)
Stress Ape (http://www.myspace.com/stressape)
Al Burian (http://www.alburian.com/)
y2kbunker (http://www.myspace.com/y2kbunker)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Sunday, June 8
Jew(s) & Catholic(s) (http://www.myspace.com/jewsandcatholics)
Rat Jackson (http://www.myspace.com/ratjacksonmusic)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Jew(s) and Catholic(s) are from Winston-Salem, and they're electric
guitar, upright bass, and presequenced drums.

Sunday, June 8
Richard Bacchus & the Luckiest Girls
(http://www.myspace.com/richardbacchus)
The Hot Pursuit
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Tuesday, June 10
Birds of Avalon (http://www.myspace.com/birdsofavalon)
Mudhoney (http://www.subpop.com/artists/mudhoney)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

I still haven't heard the new Mudhoney album, but people keep saying
it's great, so much so that I'm almost inclined to believe them.

Tuesday, June 10
Barghest (http://www.myspace.com/jesseainslie)
Swan Quarter (http://www.myspace.com/swanquarter)
Tim and the 23s
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, June 10
Private Radio
Double Down, Raleigh

Wednesday, June 11
Boyzone (http://www.myspace.com/boyszone)
Ear Pwr (http://www.myspace.com/earpwr)
Chaos Character
Domm
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, June 11
Transportation (http://www.myspace.com/transportation)
Howlin' Rain (http://www.birdmanrecords.com/howlinrain/index.html)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Transportation are essentially two bands: the Wings-influenced
piano-driven band of a lot of their recorded material, and the heavy
gtr/bass/drums power-trio they've always been live. No definite word yet
as to the balance of power on their long-delayed upcoming album.

Wednesday, June 11
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Endless Mike and the Beagle Club (http://www.myspace.com/beagleclub)
Hell, Chapel Hill

Two of the highest-energy bands in Durham (seriously: the phone rings
every time we play 'em on the radio), along with more evidence that all
the good band names are officially taken.

Thursday, June 12
The Private Sea (http://www.myspace.com/theprivatesea)
Me and the Trees
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, June 12
The Proclivities (http://www.myspace.com/theproclivities)
Civil Twilight
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Thursday, June 12
Shake it Like a Caveman (http://www.shakeitlikeacaveman.com/)
Double Down, Raleigh

Smoky Mountain gtr/drums electric blooz with testifying vox.

Friday, June 13
Accelerators
The Buzzkills
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

The Accelerators were putting NC on the map back in the early 80s, but
as was the case for so many of their peers, the brass ring proved
ultimately elusive. Frontman Gerald Duncan never packed it in, though.
He just switched over to the lifetime plan, playing shows whenever he
feels like it, and releasing a record every decade or so.

Friday, June 13
Jule Brown (http://www.julebrown.org)
Paul Thorn (http://paulthorn.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, June 13
Dom Casual (http://www.myspace.com/domcasual)
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
Weisstronauts (http://www.weissy.com/weisstronauts/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for the excellent new CD by local
surf/lounge/garage instrumental mavens Killer Filler, who feature
ex-SCOTS keyboardist Crispy Bess on organ, and Lud guitarist Bryon
Settle on guitar.

Friday, June 13
Twilighter (http://twilighter.net/)
The Vinyl Strangers (http://myspace.com/Thevinylstrangers)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, June 13
Clang Quartet (http://www.myspace.com/clangquartet)
Boyzone (http://www.myspace.com/boyszone)
Yellow Crystal Star (http://www.myspace.com/yellowcrystalstar)
Dickhearse a Discourse on Dickhorse
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, June 13
Goner (http://www.gonertheband.com/)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

CD-release party for the new Goner CD, "Rock 'n' Roll Always Forgets."
Scott Phillips is one of the great unheralded chroniclers of dying
dreams & postcollegiate capitulation.

Saturday, June 14
Shake it Like a Caveman (http://www.shakeitlikeacaveman.com/)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Sometimes a duo, sometimes a one-man-band, always gtr/drums dirty
electric blooz uplift from the mountains. Karen Mann has video & more
info for you:
http://mannsworld.blogspot.com/2008/04/unexpected-gems-in-unexpected-places.html

Saturday, June 14
Hazerai (http://www.myspace.com/hazerai)
Grappling Hook (http://www.myspace.com/torchmaraudersgrapplinghook)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

If you like loud frantic music, but you're sick of all the post-hardcore
posturing, then this is the show for you. Hazerai are fast and screamy,
but they're more paranoia than pose. The Grappling Hook are just plain
fucking nuts: gtr/bass doubleneck, organ/synth, crackerjack drummer, and
the Torch Marauder out front belting out semi-operatic spacerock epics
about conquistadors and shit.

Saturday, June 14
Dawn Chorus (http://www.myspace.com/dawnchorus)
Shearwater (http://jound.com/shearwater/main.html)
Wembley (http://www.myspace.com/wembleystadium)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Local 506 owner Glenn Boothe lists Wembley as one of his favorite
current local bands, and given frontman Neven Carswell's resume (Regina
Hexaphone, ex-Laramie UK), it's easy to see why.

Sunday, June 15
Firewater (http://www.myspace.com/realfirewater)
Bear in Heaven (http://www.myspace.com/bearinheaven)
Local 506, Chapel Hill