ch-scene - True Story during The Walkmen show at Carolina Theater

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Jeremy Blair" <jerblar AT gmail.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: True Story during The Walkmen show at Carolina Theater
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 10:46:07 -0400

I got a new mobile phone recently and this weekend I finally got around to
going through all the pictures I had taken on my old one, the vast majority
being concert pics. One in particular brought back a hilarious story that in
retrospect, is worth telling. As you may recall, The Walkmen came through
town earlier this year with Spoon and White Rabbits. The show was at the
Carolina Theater in Durham, a seated theater, which was different compared
to what we are accustomed to but a fun change of pace.

As the show went on I noticed that the guy sitting next to me seemed to be
arguing a bit with his girl friend. At one point I am pretty sure I heard
him say, "Well I'm not going anywhere so I guess that's that." Of course I
did my best to watch the show in front of me as opposed to the one
developing next to me even though the occasional f bomb going off signaled
high drama. I was clicking pictures of the show with my camera phone as I
always do and after one pic in particular the guy tapped me on the shoulder,
I turned to see his girl walking out of the isle and then he asked, "Can you
text me that picture you just took?". I said sure and set up the text and
let him punch in his number and then sent it. Curiosity had gotten the best
of me by then though so I asked him why he wanted the pic and he replied,
"Now I have a picture of the show at the exact moment that I broke up with
my finance."

He shared later that basically she decided after the first band that she
wanted to go home and apparently levied the ultimatum; leave or we're
breaking up. Home boy chose break up and stayed for the rest of the show. We
drank the rest of the night, talked music and had a blast. That guy is my
hero.

  • True Story during The Walkmen show at Carolina Theater, Jeremy Blair, 06/09/2008