ch-scene - stuff to do, week of May 10, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of May 10, 2008
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 12:09:32 -0400

Saturday, May 10
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Killer Filler is the knockout surf/instrumental combo fronted by former SCOTS keyboardist Crispy Bess, and featuring Bryon Settle (Lud, Pressure Boys, Trailer Bride, etc) on lead guitar.

Saturday, May 10
Polvo (http://www.southern.com/southern/band/POLVO/index.html)
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
Noncanon (http://www.myspace.com/noncanon)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

You either already have your ticket or you're SOL, so for those of you who're going: make sure you show up on time. These two openers are two of the best bands the region has to offer, so if you roll in late, you're just gonna tag yourself as one of those married-with-kids ex-scenesters who only goes to reunion shows to talk to their old friends they never see anymore.

Saturday, May 10
Bonde Do Role (http://www.myspace.com/bondedorole)
The Death Set (http://www.thedeathset.com)
Diamond Studs (http://www.myspace.com/juanhuevos)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, May 10
Thunderlip (http://www.thunderlip.com/)
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, May 11
Lam! Lam! (http://www.myspace.com/lamlamband)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Betsy-Shane felt all self-conscious about doing solo shows with just her guitar & her iPod, so she started doing elaborate dance routines & wearing fancy outfits & whatnot, none of which you'll be able to see over the radio, so just pull out that videotape you made when you were 13, the one with all the Madonna videos taped off of MTV, and play it on mute while you listen.

4:00 p.m. 88.7FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, May 11
Polynya (http://www.myspace.com/polynyapolynya)
Glissade (http://www.myspace.com/glissade)
If/When (http://www.myspace.com/ifwhen)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Shoegaze, in the form of Glissade, from the Triad, I believe. Plus our own Polynya, who aren't shoegaze but who *do* have a healthy appreciation of the Cure & Stereolab.

Monday, May 12
Flicker (http://www.chapel-hill.nc.us/flicker)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Flicker is the monthly-ish festival of short films that has been happening in Chapel Hill for over a decade now. Under 20 minutes apiece, all originating on film, the perfect way to balance your Luddite tendencies against your short attention span.

Monday, May 12
Government Warning (http://www.myspace.com/governmentwarningrva)
Invasion (http://www.myspace.com/invasionmusic)
Crossed Eyes (http://www.myspace.com/chriscarraway)
Under Pressure (http://www.myspace.com/underpressure)
Double Down, Raleigh

Hardcore. Invasion are apparently from Spain. Note that this was moved from BCHQ to the Double Down at Peace & Glenwood in Raleigh.

Monday, May 12
The Never (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/never.html)
Snowden (http://www.snowden.info/)
Colour Revolt (http://colourrevolt.calebplain.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, May 12
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
The Golden Boys (http://www.hookorcrook.com/Bands-GoldenBoys.htm)
Girls of the Gravitron (http://www.myspace.com/girlsofthegravitron)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The perfect Monday-night show at the Cave, as both the Spider Bags and all their fans are the sort of people for whom Monday night is every bit as good a night to drink as the other six nights. Better, even, because the bars aren't as crowded with amateurs.

Tuesday, May 13 - Wednesday, May 14
Drive-By Truckers (http://www.drivebytruckers.com/)
Dexateens (http://www.dexateens.net)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, May 13
Eberhardt (http://www.myspace.com/eberhardtnc)
Empty Orchestra
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, May 13
A Rooster for the Masses (http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses)
Strange Faces (http://www.myspace.com/strangefacestheband)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Spirit-of-'83 postpunk/dancepop from A Rooster For the Masses.

Tuesday, May 13
Neva Dinova (http://www.nevadinova.com/)
A is Jump (http://www.myspace.com/aisjump2)
Ladyhawk (http://www.myspace.com/ladyhawk)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, May 14
Dead to Society (http://www.myspace.com/deadtosociety101)
Spotlight Effect (http://myspace.com/spotlighteffect)
Marvell Building, Durham

Wednesday, May 14
Minipop (http://www.myspace.com/minipop)
Huguenots (http://www.myspace.com/thehuguenotsmusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, May 14
Thrones (http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/0011/music-driver.shtml)
In the Year of the Pig (http://www.southernloveprod.com/ityotp.htm)
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thrones is Joe Preston, who was in Melvins, and has also done time/sat in with some of the classic names in west-coast stoner drone: Earth, High on Fire, Sunn O))).

Caltrop & In the Year of the Pig come at things from opposite directions--meticulous massive filigreed riffage on the one hand, dual-drum/dual-bass freakout spazmoid sludge on the other--but they both manage to cut grooves so deep you'll be looking all Klingon in the morning.

Wednesday, May 14
Blood on the Wall (http://www.bloodonthewall.com)
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
Americans in France (http://www.myspace.com/americansinfrance)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, May 14
Frank Bang's Secret Stash (http://www.myspace.com/frankbang)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Thursday, May 15
Clang Quartet (http://www.myspace.com/clangquartet)
Boyzone (http://www.myspace.com/boyszone)
Indian Jewelry (http://www.myspace.com/indianjewelry)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Indian Jewelry may or may not be from Texas, and may or may not be part of the sprawling Swarm of Angels collective. The songs I just listened to on MySpace were pretty great in a wall-of-drone kinda way.

Anytime Clang Quartet are on the bill, you're guaranteed a mind-melting time anyway, so . . .

Thursday, May 15
The Cartridge Family (http://www.cartridge-family.com/)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Another local bands/local beers night, this time featuring one of my favorite Raleigh bands, the Cartridge Family. They live somewhere near the intersection of Blonde on Blonde and New York Dolls; they're so good you could bring yr clueless coworkers to this show (as long as you were willing to endure six months of workplace chatter about their new favorite band).

Thursday, May 15
The Nothing Noise (http://www.myspace.com/thenothingnoise)
Attached Hands (http://www.myspace.com/attachedhands)
Satellite
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, May 15
Mas y Mas
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Thursday, May 15
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Self-Evident
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Thursday, May 15
The Bronzed Chorus (http://www.myspace.com/thebronzedchorus)
Irata (http://myspace.com/iratalive)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Friday, May 16
Kenny Roby's Mercy Filter (http://www.kennyroby.com)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Friday, May 16
The Dead Science (http://www.thedeadscience.com/)
The Hem of His Garment (http://www.myspace.com/thehemofhisgarment)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

The Hem of His Garment are a collective of varied size & membership, united in the pursuit of transcendent volume.

Friday, May 16
Pox Family Singers (http://www.poxworldempire.com)
Sweater Weather (http://www.sweater-weather.com)
Nathan Oliver (http://www.nathan-oliver.com)
Dylan Gilbert
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

This is the annual Pin Projekt show, which is a fundraiser for the Troika Music Festival. Various local artists decorate/modify bowling pins, which are then auctioned off.

Friday, May 16
Jule Brown (http://www.julebrown.org)
Les Dudek (http://www.lesdudek.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, May 16
Joe Romeo & the Orange County Volunteers (http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic)
Scarlet Rider (http://www.myspace.com/thescarletrider)
Brendan Rice (http://www.myspace.com/brendanricemusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Joe Romeo & his Orange County Volunteers have a record mostly done, but there was apparently a little trouble with a label, or something that initially appeared to be a label but turned out not to be, so for now your best chance to hear it is to ask Joe when you see him at Weaver Street, or just go to the show.

Friday, May 16
The Cartridge Family (http://www.cartridge-family.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

In saying good things a moment ago about the Cartridge Family, I neglected to single out Greg Rice's electric piano as a high point, nor did I mention that I still haven't heard their second album, Shine Like a Bottle, because there's some sort of embargo on exporting it out of Wake County. Hopefully they can smuggle some over the line for this show.

Friday, May 16
The Bleeding Hearts (http://www.thebleedinghearts.net/home.html)
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
Sir Arthur and His Royal Knights (http://mannsworld.blogspot.com/2007/08/sir-arthur-his-royal-knights.html)
Pour House, Raleigh

This is a CD-release party for the Bleeding Hearts.

Friday, May 16
*SONS (http://www.myspace.com/sonsofthesun)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Friday, May 16
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Citified (http://www.citifiedband.org/)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Shoegaze/dreampop.

Saturday, May 17
All Your Science
Rachel Van Slyke (http://www.myspace.com/rachelvanslyke)
Fictional Detectives (http://www.myspace.com/fictionaldetectives)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

This show is at 3:00 p.m; BCHQ says "Benefit for the Durham Bike Co-op! Afternoon show followed by bike ride. Rachel is currently touring the country on her bike!!"

Saturday, May 17
The Delta Drift (http://deltadrift.com)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Saturday, May 17
S.C.O.T.S. (http://www.scots.com/)
Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies (http://www.myspace.com/violetvectorandthelovelylovelies)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

It's still more than a month until Summer, but this show feels like the official kickoff of the season. VVLL bring the breezy, bell-heavy girl-group pop, and SCOTS (of course) crank up the humidity with their swampy originals & choice covers.

Saturday, May 17
Velvet (http://www.velvetpop.com)
Midnite Sun (http://www.myspace.com/midnite_sun)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

Saturday, May 17
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
The Proclivities (http://www.myspace.com/theproclivities)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for the Pneurotics.

Saturday, May 17
Rahdunes (http://www.myspace.com/mindzoo666)
Jooklo Duo
Clearvoiant
Todos Somos Ninjas
Black Yeti
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, May 17
Jimmy & The Teasers (http://www.geocities.com/booze1031/teasers.html)
Table (http://www.myspace.com/table)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, May 17
Dexter Romweber and the New Romans (http://www.myspace.com/dexterromweber)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Dexter Romweber and the New Roman's are Dex's large band, generally featuring 2 drummers, 2 guitars, bass, keyboards, and a horn section. For Dexter, a man whose love of Louis Prima goes back to early childhood, the New Romans must be a chance to hear the songs onstage the way they sound in his head.

Sunday, May 18
Dexter Romweber (http://www.dexterromweber.com)
Billy Sugarfix (http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/billysugarfix.htm)
The Tremors (http://www.tremorsrockabilly.com/)
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is a Zombie Party (!), hosted by local cable-access Monster Creature Feature host Ormon Grimsby. Charlotte's Tremors were an obvious choice, as they routinely rock the monster/zombie makeup shtick already.

Sunday, May 18
Hundred Air (http://www.myspace.com/hundredair)
My Dad is Dead (http://mydadisdead.com)
Argyle Denial (http://www.myspace.com/argyledenial)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

If you google My Dad is Dead Cleveland, you get 1.1 million hits. If you google My Dad is Dead Carrboro, you only get 2300. Yet he lives in Carrboro, and has for most of this century.

He moved here for love, which may explain why all the songs on the last MDID album were so damn lovey-dovey and happy-sounding.

Argyle Denial are Cleveland-ites, and the song I heard on MySpace was a pretty freaking rippin' garage-surf rocker.

Hundred Air are the countryish mope-pop band of Adam Price, who was in the Comas & the Mayflies USA back in the '90s.

Sunday, May 18
Tooth (http://www.myspace.com/toothrocks)
Javelina (http://www.myspace.com/javelinaphiladelphia)
Horsefang (http://www.myspace.com/horsefang)
Hell, Chapel Hill

There is no better metal band in North Carolina than Tooth. Period. Full stop.

Monday, May 19
Dutchess Headbangerr (http://www.myspace.com/dutchessheadbangerr)
Yo Majesty (http://www.myspace.com/yomajesty4life)
Rosetta Stoned (http://www.myspace.com/rosettas)