ch-scene - stuff to do, week of March 14, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of March 14, 2008
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 18:32:31 -0400

Tift Merritt is at the Carolina Theatre next Saturday, if'n anybody's interested. Otherwise:

Friday, March 14
Table (http://www.myspace.com/table)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Friday, March 14
Hobex (http://www.hobex.com)
Lynn Blakey
Great Big Gone (http://www.greatbiggone.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a benefit for the Woods Charter School.

Friday, March 14
Skeptic Tank
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
Sea Cow
Marla Vickers
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

This is a benefit for a Broad St. employee whose house burned, injuring her husband in the process.

Friday, March 14
Citified (http://www.citifiedband.org/)
Noncanon (http://www.myspace.com/noncanon)
Tin Star
The Garage, Winston-Salem

In case you missed Citified during their recent Triangle jaunt (or if you're gonna be passing through Winston-Salem anyway . . . hey, it could happen!) here's another chance to see 'em, along with freaked-out blooz-droners Noncanon.

Friday, March 14
Fan-Tan (http://www.myspace.com/fantanrock)
The Love Language (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, March 14
Joe Romeo & the Orange County Volunteers (http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 15
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Woman
Fortress of Swatches (http://www.purevolume.com/fortressofswatches)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Cantwell Gomez & Jordan are teetering on the brink of a releasing a new CD (I believe it's due out April 5th), so expect new songs, I suppose, and some encouragement to check out the CD-release show in a few weeks.

Saturday, March 15
Olympic Ass Kicking Team (http://www.terryandersonrocks.com/)
The Ts (http://www.myspace.com/thettttt)
Pour House, Raleigh

Sunday, March 16
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Last time CGJ played on the radio for us, it was Halloween and they did an entire set of covers, in their own brilliantly screwy way. This time around, they're just a few weeks away from releasing a new CD (their first in what seems like eons, and is probably more like 2 years), so while there'll likely be a cover or two, you oughta also expect a sneak-preview of the New Stuff. 4:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, March 16
Flicker (http://www.chapel-hill.nc.us/flicker)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Flicker is the long-running short-film festival that turns the Cradle into a salon of the Super-8 cinematographic arts every 6-8 weeks. Plus cookies!

Sunday, March 16
Mr. Quintron (http://www.southern.com/southern/band/QTRON/)
The Black Lips (http://www.bomp.com/BlackLips.html)
Miss Pussycat (http://www.eccentricneworleans.com/mr__quintron.htm)
The Gondoliers (http://www.myspace.com/comeseethegondoliers)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Holy crap, what a show. Anytime New Orleans' own Mr. Quintron makes an appearance, you know you've been blessed. You get a freaky puppet show from Miss Pussycat *and* the spookiest organ-playing in the history of the North American continent, and that's a mighty long time.

Add in Atlanta's Black Lips *and* Chapel Hill's mighty Gondoliers, and you've got simply way too much entertainment for a Sunday night. There's probably a Blue Law against this show.

Monday, March 17
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Tilly and the Wall (http://www.tillyandthewall.com)
Capgun Coup (http://www.myspace.com/capguncoup)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, March 18
New Town Drunks (http://www.newtowndrunks.com/)
Paris Falls (http://www.myspace.com/parisfalls)
Geva Alon
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, March 18
Impossible Arms
Polynya (http://www.myspace.com/polynyapolynya)
Waumiss (http://www.myspace.com/waumiss)
Hell, Chapel Hill

Impossible Arms is the new thing from Mike Meyerson (Mowing Lawns). Waumiss is the new thing from Clarque & Caroline (Shallow Be Thy Name, plus Clarque is or has been in Kingsbury Manx, Chuck Chuck Goose & Goatthrower). Speaking of Goatthrower, Clarque says Waumiss will be covering one of their songs.

Polynya is the new/old thing featuring members of Fashion Design, Roxotica & many others.

Tuesday, March 18
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Holy Fuck (http://dependentmusic.com/a_holyfuck.htm)
A Place to Bury Strangers (http://www.myspace.com/aplacetoburystrangers)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, March 18
Dr. Powerful (http://drpowerful.googlepages.com)
Your Favorite Assassin (http://www.myspace.com/yourfavoriteassassin)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Wednesday, March 19
I Was Totally Destroying It (http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
Auxes (http://www.myspace.com/auxes)
Hull (http://www.myspace.com/hull)
Hell, Chapel Hill

Auxes are the new Chapel Hill supergroup fronted by ex-Milemarker guitarist Dave Laney, and featuring folks from Ben Davis & the Jetts & various other bands as well.

Wednesday, March 19
Your Favorite Assassin (http://www.myspace.com/yourfavoriteassassin)
Smooch & the Big Hug (http://www.myspace.com/smoochandthebighug)
Stuntditch (http://www.myspace.com/stuntditch)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, March 19
The Busy World (http://www.myspace.com/thebusyworld)
Le Loup (http://www.myspace.com/leloupmusic)
The Ruby Suns (http://www.myspace.com/ryanmcphunandtherubysuns)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, March 19
Western Civ. (http://westerncivrock.com)
Instant Jones (http://www.myspace.com/instantjonesrocks)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Thursday, March 20
Hege V (http://www.vivanashvegas.com/home.htm)
Hwyl (http://www.myspace.com/hwylmusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Hege V is the band fronted by George Hamilton V, son of George Hamilton IV (uh, duh), and nowadays a Nashville country artist in his own right. Back in the '80s he was a Chapel Hill cowpunker, and now & then he gets the old band back together & fires up the hearse for a quick tour of the local watering holes.

Thursday, March 20
Grappling Hook (http://www.myspace.com/torchmaraudersgrapplinghook)
Dub Trio (http://www.myspace.com/dubtrio)
Foreign Islands (http://www.myspace.com/foreignislands)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The Grappling Hook is the band fronted by the Artist Formerly Known As The Torch Marauder, and they get more epic every time I see 'em.

Thursday, March 20
The Men (http://www.myspace.com/themenproject1)
The Nothing Noise (http://www.myspace.com/thenothingnoise)
Icarus Himself (http://www.myspace.com/icarushimself)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, March 20
Whistlestop (http://www.myspace.com/whistlestop)
Tir Na Nog, Raleigh

Thursday, March 20
Pneurotics (http://www.myspace.com/pneurotics)
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
The Proclivities (http://www.myspace.com/theproclivities)
Pour House, Raleigh

Friday, March 21
snmnmnm (http://www.snmnmnm.com/)
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Terrordactyls (http://www.myspace.com/theterrordactyls)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

snmnmnm have a tuba; Midtown Dickens regularly sport trumpet & trombone. Will Terrordactyls rock the French Horn?

Friday, March 21
Monsonia (http://www.monsonia.com)
Lovecraft (http://www.myspace.com/lovecraftnc)
The Bronzed Chorus (http://www.myspace.com/thebronzedchorus)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

This is a debut party, I think, for the Charlotte-based Southeast-focused music magazine Shuffle (http://www.shufflezine.com). I say "I think" because originally Shuffle was supposed to have its first issue out last fall, and I don't get out & about enough to know definitely whether that actually happened. Anyhoo. It's published by Chuck Morrison, the man who runs MoRisen Records (home of the Sammies & a bunch of other Charlotte-area bands), and edited by a feller who's written for Paste, among others.

I was skimming the first issue & saw a ton of familiar names in the bylines: Grayson Currin, Fred Mills, Chris Parker, Bryan Reed. And needless to say, many of the featured bands would be familiar to regular readers of this list.

Friday, March 21
Acid Mothers Temple (http://www.acidmothers.com/)
Danava (http://www.myspace.com/danava)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, March 21
Patty Hurst Shifter (http://www.pattyhurstshifter.com)
The Young Antiques
Pour House, Raleigh

Friday, March 21
Lam! Lam! (http://www.myspace.com/lamlamband)
Samara Lubelski (http://www.samaralubelski.com)
Courtney Brown (http://www.myspace.com/courtneydbrown)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

The more I listen to the decidedly lo-fi demo from Lam! Lam!, the more I like it.

Friday, March 21
Deer Tick (http://www.myspace.com/deertick)
Teenage Prayers (http://www.teenageprayers.com/)
The Hymns (http://www.hymnsband.com)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, March 22
The Connells (http://www.theconnells.com/)
Crave
Pour House, Raleigh

Saturday, March 22
Bellafea (http://www.bellafea.com/)
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
I Was Totally Destroying It (http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
Jack Sprat Cafe, Chapel Hill

This is another night of the Shuffle Launch Party. Not a lot of ads in the first issue, which the publisher's note calls "intentional" and which I call fairly standard for first issues, cuz there aren't many folks willing to shell out for an ad in a rag nobody's ever seen. It's the number of ads in the *second* issue that you gotta watch for.

Saturday, March 22
The Houstons
Nicole Atkins & the Sea (http://www.myspace.com/nicoleatkins)
The Parlor Mob (http://www.myspace.com/theparlormob)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 22
Wolverines (http://www.wolverinesrock.com/)
Whitman
Rob the Killing Tree
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 22
Hard Lessons (http://www.thehardlessons.com/)
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
Freshkills
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, March 23
Auxiliary House (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/auxhouse.html)
Blitzen Trapper (http://www.blitzentrapper.net/)
Fleet Foxes (http://www.myspace.com/fleetfoxes)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Auxiliary House are the house band of Trekky Records, meaning they'll have anywhere from 6 to 20+ members, depending on who's around at that moment.

Monday, March 24
A Rooster for the Masses (http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses)
New Model Army (http://www.myspace.com/newmodelarmymyspace)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, March 25
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Goes Cube (http://www.myspace.com/goescube)
Hell, Chapel Hill

HNMTF are the Band To Watch for 2008, and I woulda told you that last year (I did, in fact), even before all the blogs caught on.

Tuesday, March 25
Crash (http://www.myspace.com/crashkills)
Bisc 1
Domer Beats