ch-scene - ibiblio listserv check redux

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: mc^2 <thebackyardbbq AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: ibiblio listserv check redux
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 04:19:12 -0800 (PST)

Really, there's nothing to see here, but if you
actually clicked on this to read it, may as well give
ya something, so here ya go:

This yahoo address had no problems receiving amch
posts until 2/15 (that's the date of the last amch
message delivered to this email addie).

For another ibiblio listserv to which I'm subscribed,
I switched over to a gmail addie I specifically
created for that listserv. There were still some
minor problems the first 2 or 3 days, then it seemed
like all was back to normal. Round about 2/18,
however, the gmail account was no longer receiving
messages from *that* listserv.

In no instance does there seem to have been a problem
with receipt/acceptance of messages sent to the
listservs (they all post, within a second or two, at
the most). The problem is delivering the accepted
post back to my email, whether it is my own post or
someone else's. Several domains are not being
delivered, and while one gmail or yahoo or unc.edu
addie may get delivered, another does not.

For the more troublesome listserv (i.e., not amch, to
this point), I set my prefs to receive confirmation
emails, when I switched to the gmail account. As of
now, I get the confirmation email, straight away...
the delivery of the posted message, however, is *not*
a happening thing. At all.

Since I've not received *any* listserv messages from
amch since 2/15 (even though I am supposed to be
getting them, non-digest format), I'm not expecting to
see delivery of this post to my inbox. I'll shout
back if it does deliver. In the meantime, fyi for
whoever may care, when I first checked back on the
8th, amch was operating perfectly as expected:
acceptance of the message and subsequent return
delivery of the message happened as I'd normally
expect, so at that point I assumed it was just a
problem with the other listserv. Since that time,
additional problems across ibiblio subscriptions--not
just for me, but for others--indicates it's more an
ibiblio issue than one of some specific listserv.

Something is definitely wrong.

It is above and beyond "switching" from yahoo to
google, since I did that for a different listserv, and
the problem still presents. Nevermind Google has a
disturbing tendency towards a flip attitude re:
invasion of privacy. Old news:
http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-9776759-46.html
http://www.privacyinternational.org/article.shtml?cmd[347]=x-347-553961

FWIW I've noticed my googly myspace friends often seem
to be the ones who get "hacked" and end up sending
those informative myspace bulletins about breasts,
penii, and awesome ring tones...

Anyways, after so many years of virtually unfailing
perfection from ibiblio, I'm a tad cranky about how
long it's taking to get this resolved. Hard to
imagine how things could be so perfect for so long and
now so not perfect... but that's just a spoiled brat
mentality, and I know it.

Here's my prayer to the cybergods to bestow on the
ibiblio apostles the kung fu necessary to overcome
whatever evils there are lurking in the stream.

Love,

E.

*You're not on Planet Mars BBS anymore, Heisenberg.*

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs