ch-scene - Re: article about Nightlight on Tiny Mix Tapes

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT gmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: article about Nightlight on Tiny Mix Tapes
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 15:02:14 -0800 (PST)

> Yeah, it's definitely an interesting read. I wasn't aware there was so much
> anti-Nightlight hate and vicious gossip, though. Is that exaggerated or was
> that stuff really a problem?

This is the first I'm hearing of this, but if the ownership transition
at Nightlight was anything like it was at Local 506, then I'm sure
that this is based in fact. Unfortunately, it is my opinion that
there are some people in this area that are less into constructive-
criticism, and more into destructive criticism (ie: talking shit about
you behind your back when you can't even defend yourself as opposed to
openly to your face so you might be able to do something about it or
at least explain why something is done a certain way.) And those
people also like to share their ill-will with as many ears that will
listen, as opposed to the only ears that matter!

This town is small, so stuff will usually trickle back to it's subject
- and it was so bad for me at one point that I was hesitant to visit
other nightspots because I didn't want to gladhand with people who I
knew were also stabbing me in my back. For example, one piece that
got back to me was how I was raising my drink prices on certain shows,
when, in fact, the opposite had happened. This was a practice used by
one bartender on one specific night before I owned 506 and when I
became aware of it, I made the person stop. A story such as that
could have been nipped in the bud with the source, instead of spread
all over town.

glenn