ch-scene - Stuff to do, Week of January 18, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, Week of January 18, 2008
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:59:29 -0500

Friday, January 18
Django Haskins (http://www.djangohaskins.com/)
Sweater Weather (http://www.sweater-weather.com)
Resist Not (http://myspace.com/resistnot)
Phil Cook
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

It's a combination art-opening, benefit & show. Details:

No One Piece: Books of words, wood-stain, photos & floss by Catherine Edgerton / Decoupage cigar boxes by Michelle Preslik
Jan 18-Feb 15

Opening Reception:
Friday, Jan 18th 7-11pm
Donations accepted

All proceeds go to Safe Passage, whose mission is to empower the poorest, at-risk children of families working in the community of the Guatemala City garbage dump, by creating opportunities and fostering dignity through the power of education. This date marks the one-year anniversary of the untimely death of Hanley Denning, the visionary founder of Safe Passage.

Evening includes hors d'oeuvres; a presentation by Cassie Hoffman about Safe Passage; and music by Phil Cook (Megafaun), Django Haskins (Old Ceremony), Resist Not and Sweater Weather.

Friday, January 18
Alias Smith & Jones (http://www.myspace.com/aliassmithandjonesband)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Alias Smith & Jones includes a couple of ex-members of the great star-crossed 90s Raleigh band Vanilla Trainwreck.

Friday, January 18
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Glass Witch (http://www.myspace.com/glasswitch)
The Scott Waite Debacle (http://myspace.com/scottwaiteisbenevolent)
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
Swan Quarter (http://www.myspace.com/swanquarter)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, January 18
Minnie Skirt and the Bootlegs (http://www.myspace.com/minnieskirtandthebootlegs)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

This is connected in some capacity to the big annual scooter rally. Minnie Skirt & the Bootlegs are a multi-member Stax/Volt style soul revue with horns.

Friday, January 18
Patty Hurst Shifter (http://www.pattyhurstshifter.com)
The Modern Skirts (http://www.modernskirts.com/)
Pour House, Raleigh

Friday, January 18
Opening Flower Happy Bird (http://www.myspace.com/openingflowerhappybird)
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
Drug Rug (http://www.myspace.com/drugrugdude)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Opening Flower Happy Bird somehow wound up with two CDs on the WXDU year-end top-local-releases list. Indeed, their morose-but-catchy blip-pop is hard to resist.

Friday, January 18
Tiger Thief (http://www.tigerthief.com/)
The Love Language (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
The Booze (http://www.myspace.com/thebooze)
Downtown Event Center, Raleigh

Friday, January 18
The Gondoliers (http://www.myspace.com/comeseethegondoliers)
Hell, Chapel Hill

Gondoliers are about the best thing around when it comes to straight-up rawass 60s-style garage-rock.

Friday, January 18
Watershed
Monty Warren
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, January 19
Cuntry Kings (http://www.geocities.com/nc_kings/)
The Old Ceremony (http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
Old 86 (http://www.myspace.com/86music)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a "Rock for Roe" benefit/celebration.

Saturday, January 19
Eberhardt (http://www.myspace.com/eberhardtnc)
The Nothing Noise (http://www.myspace.com/thenothingnoise)
Harmute (http://www.myspace.com/harmute)
Israel Darling (http://www.myspace.com/israeldarling)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, January 19
Straight 8s (http://www.straight8s.com)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Saturday, January 19
Stratocruiser (http://www.stratocruisermusic.com/)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, January 20
Bringerer (http://www.myspace.com/bringerer)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Bringerer = 2 ex-members of Zen Frisbee, plus Ron Liberti (ex-Pipe, ex-Ghost of Rock) & a drummer named Bart. Their first CD, with a slightly different lineup, sounded like Cheap Trick meets early solo Brian Eno meets recreational drugs. I haven't heard their new stuff yet, but this show is in advance of an imminent CD-release shindig, so all will become clearer soon enough.

5:00 p.m. (last week at this time! henceforth at 4:00 p.m.!) 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, January 20
The Scene of the Crime Rovers (http://www.myspace.com/sceneofthecrimerovers)
Michael Zerang (http://www.michaelzerang.com)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

This is the rare indoor, non-marching show for the Scene of the Crime Rovers. The occasion is this visit to the Triangle by Chicago-based percussionist Michael Zerang. A quick blurb:

"Percussionist, improvisor and composer Michael Zerang was born in 1958 in Chicago, Illinois. He has co-founded and performed with the musical groups Liof Munimula, The Neutrino Orchestra, Trio Troppo, The Wonderfuls, The Blue Angels, Sam Pappas' Tumbling Strains, Frozen Lucy, The Quirt Quintet, Musica Menta, The Vandermark Quartet, Dream Cheese, The Sputter Ensemble, In Zenith, and Broken Wire. In addition to these ensembles, Zerang currently performs with many innovative musicians including AACM co-founder Fred Anderson, Mats Gustafsson, Raymond Strid, Sten Sandell, Don Meckley, Jaap Blonk, Daniel Scanlan, Peter Brötzmann, Kent Kessler, Barre Phillips, Jim Baker, Hamid Drake, Ken Vandermark, Luc Hautkamp, and Fred Lonberg-Holm. He has recorded for Okka Disc, boxMEDIA, Kontrans, Southport, Quinnah, Eighth Day Music, Garlic, and Platypus, labels as well as many others."

Sunday, January 20
Noncanon (http://www.myspace.com/noncanon)
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Future Islands are a kind of unsettling synth-pop band from the Greenville area. Noncanon are also unsettling, but more in the "uncanny/unearthly" sense. They're one of my favorite bands in state, in fact.

Sunday, January 20
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.thedirtylittleheaters.com)
Those Darlins (http://www.myspace.com/darlins)
Reservoir, Carrboro

The new 3-piece Dirty Little Heaters will take your head clean off. If you don't have a "bands to watch in 2008" list yet, grab a post-it & write their name at the top of it.

Monday, January 21
Flicker (http://www.chapel-hill.nc.us/flicker)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Flicker is the long-running local periodic short-film showcase. There are generally 90 minutes' worth of short films (<20 minutes), plus raffles & cookies. Cookies!

Monday, January 21
To the Republic
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is one of Local 506's regular "Free for All" free shows.

Monday, January 21
Tooth
Lex Vegas (http://myspace.com/lexvegas)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Lex Vegas are from Harrisonburg, and that's all I know about 'em. Tooth are from Durham, and their debut EP "Animality" easily made it onto my top-20 of 2007.

Tuesday, January 22
Salt to Bitters (http://www.myspace.com/salttobitters)
The Howlies (http://www.myspace.com/thehowlies)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, January 22
Adam and the Weatherfords (http://www.myspace.com/adamandtheweatherfords)
International Grapevine (http://www.myspace.com/theinternationalgrapevine)
Justin and the Cosmics
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, January 23
Boyzone (http://www.myspace.com/boyszone)
Six Organs of Admittance (http://www.sixorgansofadmittance.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, January 24
Brother Henry (http://www.myspace.com/brotherhenry)
Max Indian (http://www.myspace.com/maxindian)
Jeff Crawford
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, January 25
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Calabi Yau (http://www.calabiyau.org)
All the Saints
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

All-too-rare visit by Charlotte spazz/freakout band Calabi Yau, (and it's a strange anti-coincidence that Asheville-based kindred spirits Ahleuchatistas are playing tonight as well, but way over in Raleigh at Slim's). If you like your power-trio "rock" to involve lots of scribble-scrabbly noises & some high-pitched mumbling, you've come to the right place. Factor in the mighty Cantwell Gomez & Jordan (all of the above, plus punkrock) and you've got the Show of the Week!

Friday, January 25
Jen Richelson (http://www.myspace.com/jenrichelson)
Prabir and the Substitutes (http://www.prabirandthesubstitutes.com/)
Simple (http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwmyspacecomsimple)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, January 25
Ahleuchatistas (http://www.ahleuchatistas.com/go.php)
Grass Widow (http://www.myspace.com/grasswidow)
Sir Arthur and His Royal Knights (http://mannsworld.blogspot.com/2007/08/sir-arthur-his-royal-knights.html)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Asheville's Ahleuchatistas attack their gtrs/basses/drums with the fervor & discipline of dead-serious improv-jazzmen. Seriously wiggy.

Sir Arthur & his Royal Knights are also seriously wiggy, but more in the "I can't believe they're wearing velvet smoking jackets" kind of way.

Saturday, January 26
Warm in the Wake (http://www.warminthewake.com/)
Luego (http://luegomusic.com/)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Saturday, January 26
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
I Was Totally Destroying It (http://www.reverbnation.com/iwastotallydestroyingit)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Red Collar and I Was Totally Destroying It are all about the anthemic sing-along choruses and high-energy jumping-around antics. Megafaun are all about the burly beards & the equal doses of oldtime/bluegrass and outer-space hiss-and-fuzz. What do they all have in common? Durham.

Saturday, January 26
Fin Fang Foom (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/finfangfoom.html)
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is quite honestly way too much volume to fit inside the Cave. Best vantage point may very well be the sidewalk up at street-level. Fin Fang Foom bring layers & precision & half-buried emotion to their sturm-und-drang. Caltrop's layers are more like a thick smoky haze, but there's so much thunder underneath you don't need to see 'em to know they're there.

Saturday, January 26
I, Crime (http://www.icrime.us/)
Ill Eagle
Weather Machine
Jon Mackey
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Ill Eagle as in the occasional Al Burian (Milemarker) solo project, not the Cleveland rapper.

Sunday, January 27
Kimya Dawson (http://www.kimyadawson.com/)
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Angelo Spencer (http://www.myspace.com/angelospencer)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Everybody loved Kimya Dawson's music on the Juno soundtrack (OK, well, the big hit is actually a Moldy Peaches song, of which Kimya was half, but the other original music is all Kimya). I mean everybody: my clean-cut and non-indie-rockin' coworker came in last week ranting about how he'd been dragged to Juno and loved it, & the music especially.

But just how much of everybody actually stuck around through the closing credits to catch Ms. Dawson's name? I guess we'll find out at this show. If BCHQ is full of 875 people, there's some justice in the world after all.

Sunday, January 27
Ships
The Nothing Noise (http://www.myspace.com/thenothingnoise)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a 506 Free For All show.

Monday, January 28
Fujiyama Roll (http://www.myspace.com/fujiyamaroll)
Triple Overhead Cam (http://www.myspace.com/3ohc)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a 506 Free For All.

Tuesday, January 29
Super Furry Animals (http://www.superfurry.com/)
The Fiery Furnaces (http://thefieryfurnaces.com/)
Holy Fuck (http://dependentmusic.com/a_holyfuck.htm)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, January 29
Asylum Street Spankers (http://www.asylumstreetspankers.com/)
Berkeley Cafe, Raleigh

The Asylum Street Spankers are oldtime/gypsy-style buskers from Austin. Their gimmick is/was that even at club shows, they play sans PA. My friends who love them *really* love them.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to do, Week of January 18, 2008, grady, 01/18/2008