ch-scene - stuff to do, week of January 11, 2008

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of January 11, 2008
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 17:34:20 -0500

Friday, January 11
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.thedirtylittleheaters.com)
Fey (http://www.myspace.com/feymusic)
Virgo 9 (http://www.myspace.com/thevirgonine)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

If you haven't seen the new 3-piece Dirty Little Heaters yet, then you haven't seen 'em at all. Rectify that.

Friday, January 11
Kerbloki (http://www.kerbloki.com/)
Sexy Prime (http://sexyprime.com)
Minnie Skirt and the Bootlegs (http://www.myspace.com/minnieskirtandthebootlegs)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, January 11
Black Skies (http://blackskies.us/)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Howl (http://www.myspace.com/howlheavymetal)
St. Jude (http://www.myspace.com/saintjudegodfree)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Metal, of the heavy variety. Black Skies are Cradle doorman Kevin Clark's power-trio. Curtains of Night are a big hellacious wall-of-sludge gtr/drums duo. Howl are from Providence.

Saturday, January 12
Mark Kozelek (http://www.sunkilmoon.com/)
Josh Nowlan (http://www.citiesmusic.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Josh Nowlan is in the local band Cities. Mark Kozelek is [in] Sun Kil Moon and Red House Painters.

Saturday, January 12
The Great White Jenkins (http://www.tgwj.com/)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
Perry Wright
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Perry Wright fronts the Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers. Megafaun's 2007 CD Bury the Square is about to be properly-released by Table of the Elements imprint Radium, but you've got the handmade pleather cover on yours, so you're Aces, right?

Saturday, January 12
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
Monsonia (http://www.monsonia.com)
Caverns (http://www.myspace.com/caverns)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Maple Stave + Monsonia = more taut local mathy postpunk than you can handle, son.

Saturday, January 12
The Moaners (http://www.themoaners.com/)
Robo Sapien (http://www.gorobosapien.com/)
Miss Mary Wanna
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The Moaners were in fine form on New Years Eve. They still played 2 slow songs for every fast one, but the fast ones were so good I almost didn't mind.

Sunday, January 13
Worn in Red (http://www.myspace.com/worninred)
Hazerai (http://www.myspace.com/hazerai)
Brainworms (http://www.myspace.com/brainwormsrva)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Sunday, January 13
The Busy World (http://www.myspace.com/thebusyworld)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

For 2008, Local 506 have resurrected their periodic Free For All shows, which are, um, free. My reading of the Independent Weekly leads me to believe that they've got a smaller stage-mounted PA so they won't have to pay a soundman on these nights when they're not charging a cover. Most bands bring enough stage volume nowadays to only need vocal mics, at least in a room the size of 506, so unless the new PA is as pitifully underpowered as the BCHQ PA, this could be a plus.

Monday, January 14
A Contrail to Follow (http://www.myspace.com/acontrailtofollow)
Unit Shifters (http://www.myspace.com/unitshifters)
Wood Ear (http://www.myspace.com/woodear)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Tuesday, January 15
Ungdomskulen (http://www.myspace.com/ungdomskulen)
Godsister (http://www.myspace.com/motherfuckingodsister)
Bolmongani (http://www.myspace.com/bolmongani)
The Werehouse, Winston-Salem

Werehouse website says this starts at 8:00. Norwegian Freakout! plus a doubleshot of homegrown Winston-Salem psych.

Tuesday, January 15
Phillip Pledger (http://s.lolsh.info)
Airspace (http://www.myspace.com/airspacemusic)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is another Free For All show. I'm led to believe that Airspace are half-Irish, half-Carolinian. Huh?

Wednesday, January 16
The Rosebuds (http://www.therosebuds.com/)
Honored Guests (http://www.thehonoredguests.com/)
Lake Inferior (http://www.myspace.com/lakeinferiormusic)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Rosebud Ivan Howard & his pick-up rockband about brought down the house at the Trekky Xmas bash with their rendition of Wham's "Last Christmas." Real band + Ivan's own genius popsongs is even bettah.

Wednesday, January 16
In the Year of the Pig (http://www.southernloveprod.com/ityotp.htm)
The Curtains of Night (http://myspace.com/thecurtainsofnight)
Ungdomskulen (http://www.myspace.com/ungdomskulen)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Just in case you require some pummelling. Curtains of Night will gtr/drums sludgedrone you, In the Year of the Pig will freak you out with some combination of 2-string bass/drums/gtr/drums/bass/more drums or something similar, and Norwegians Ungdomskulen will mop up whatever little quivering blobs are left.

Thursday, January 17
The Soft Company (http://www.myspace.com/softcompany)
Yeasayer (http://www.myspace.com/yeasayer)
Mgmt (http://www.myspace.com/mgmt)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Members of Soft Company keep telling me there's no "The" in front of their name, but it's better with the "The," so I'm going to just leave that until they come around.

I downloaded a Yeasayer song from one MP3blog or another, part of someone's year-end top-whatever listing, and every time it comes up on shuffle my ears perk up, and I think "huh, what is this?" and then I look and say "oh yeah, it's that Yeasayer." Even though this has happened literally a half-dozen times and I still never remember who it is until I look, I still think that's some sort of recommendation.

Thursday, January 17
Butane Variations (http://butanevariations.com)
Doly Toro (http://dolytoro.net)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, January 18
Django Haskins (http://www.djangohaskins.com/)
Sweater Weather (http://www.sweater-weather.com)
Resist Not (http://myspace.com/resistnot)
Phil Cook
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

It's a combination art-opening, benefit & show. Details:

No One Piece: Books of words, wood-stain, photos & floss by Catherine Edgerton / Decoupage cigar boxes by Michelle Preslik
Jan 18-Feb 15

Opening Reception:
Friday, Jan 18th 7-11pm
Donations accepted

All proceeds go to Safe Passage, whose mission is to empower the poorest, at-risk children of families working in the community of the Guatemala City garbage dump, by creating opportunities and fostering dignity through the power of education. This date marks the one-year anniversary of the untimely death of Hanley Denning, the visionary founder of Safe Passage.

Evening includes hors d'oeuvres; a presentation by Cassie Hoffman about Safe Passage; and music by Phil Cook (Megafaun), Django Haskins (Old Ceremony), Resist Not and Sweater Weather.

Friday, January 18
Alias Smith & Jones (http://www.myspace.com/aliassmithandjonesband)
Sadlack's Heroes, Raleigh

Alias Smith & Jones includes a couple of ex-members of the great star-crossed 90s Raleigh band Vanilla Trainwreck.

Friday, January 18
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Glass Witch (http://www.myspace.com/glasswitch)
The Scott Waite Debacle (http://myspace.com/scottwaiteisbenevolent)
Lonnie Walker (http://www.myspace.com/lonniewalker)
Swan Quarter (http://www.myspace.com/swanquarter)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, January 18
Patty Hurst Shifter (http://www.pattyhurstshifter.com)
The Modern Skirts (http://www.modernskirts.com/)
Pour House, Raleigh

Friday, January 18
Opening Flower Happy Bird (http://www.myspace.com/openingflowerhappybird)
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruitsband)
Drug Rug (http://www.myspace.com/drugrugdude)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Opening Flower Happy Bird somehow wound up with two CDs on the WXDU year-end top-local-releases list. Indeed, their morose-but-catchy blip-pop is hard to resist.

Friday, January 18
Tiger Thief (http://www.tigerthief.com/)
The Love Language (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
The Booze (http://www.myspace.com/thebooze)
Downtown Event Center, Raleigh

Friday, January 18
The Gondoliers (http://www.myspace.com/comeseethegondoliers)
Hell, Chapel Hill

Gondoliers are about the best thing around when it comes to straight-up rawass 60s-style garage-rock.

Friday, January 18
Watershed
Monty Warren
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, January 19
Cuntry Kings (http://www.geocities.com/nc_kings/)
The Old Ceremony (http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
Old 86 (http://www.myspace.com/86music)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a "Rock for Roe" benefit/celebration.

Saturday, January 19
Eberhardt (http://www.myspace.com/eberhardtnc)
The Nothing Noise (http://www.myspace.com/thenothingnoise)
Harmute (http://www.myspace.com/harmute)
Israel Darling (http://www.myspace.com/israeldarling)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, January 19
Stratocruiser (http://www.stratocruisermusic.com/)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Sunday, January 20
Bringerer (http://www.myspace.com/bringerer)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Bringerer = 2 ex-members of Zen Frisbee, plus Ron Liberti (ex-Pipe, ex-Ghost of Rock) & a drummer named Bart. Their first CD, with a slightly different lineup, sounded like Cheap Trick meets early solo Brian Eno meets recreational drugs. I haven't heard their new stuff yet, but this show is in advance of an imminent CD-release shindig, so all will become clearer soon enough.

5:00 p.m. (last week at this time! henceforth at 4:00 p.m.!) 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, January 20
Noncanon (http://www.myspace.com/noncanon)
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Future Islands are a kind of unsettling synth-pop band from the Greenville area. Noncanon are also unsettling, but more in the "uncanny/unearthly" sense. They're one of my favorite bands in state, in fact.

Sunday, January 20
Dirty Little Heaters (http://www.thedirtylittleheaters.com)
Those Darlins (http://www.myspace.com/darlins)
Reservoir, Carrboro

The new 3-piece Dirty Little Heaters will take your head clean off. If you don't have a "bands to watch in 2008" list yet, grab a post-it & write their name at the top of it.

Monday, January 21
Flicker (http://www.chapel-hill.nc.us/flicker)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Flicker is the long-running local periodic short-film showcase. There are generally 90 minutes' worth of short films (<20 minutes), plus raffles & cookies. Cookies!

Monday, January 21
To the Republic
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is one of Local 506's regular "Free for All" free shows.

Monday, January 21
Tooth
Lex Vegas (http://myspace.com/lexvegas)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Lex Vegas are from Harrisonburg, and that's all I know about 'em. Tooth are from Durham, and their debut EP "Animality" easily made it onto my top-20 of 2007.

Tuesday, January 22
Salt to Bitters (http://www.myspace.com/salttobitters)
The Howlies (http://www.myspace.com/thehowlies)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, January 22
Adam and the Weatherfords (http://www.myspace.com/adamandtheweatherfords)
International Grapevine (http://www.myspace.com/theinternationalgrapevine)
Justin and the Cosmics
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • stuff to do, week of January 11, 2008, grady, 01/11/2008