ch-scene - Re: VisArt on Hillsborough Rd. Durham

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <nospam AT spacelabstudio.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: VisArt on Hillsborough Rd. Durham
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 11:23:29 +0100

Dang, I'm out of the country right now, but if anyone wants to snag anything for me out of the Italian section I'll pay you back when I get home (Dec 28th). At that price I'll take just about anything. Maybe just avoid films that obviously look really bad. If I end up with any repeats--presents!

rossi

grady wrote:
Yeah, I got a fairly new copy of Point Blank (Lee Marvin, Angie Dickinson), and the recently issued "first films of Sam Fuller" set from Criterion Eclipse. I decided to *not* browse through the entire store, because we've had mixed luck with VisArt DVDs from the Carrboro store, scratch-wise. I figured I'd stick to new releases.

This was also a good strategy as it prevented me from dropping $800 on used DVDs in one trip, which is likely what would've happened otherwise. I was there on the first day of the sale, though. Now it may be more picked-over, although one of the counter people said they'd be bringing more stuff in during the rest of the month, presumably all that stuff that's on the for-sale racks at the other stores.

I looked for the "Criterion Collection Section" but they'd either all been snapped up by employees, or more likely they were dispersed among the other stores, which is what they're doing with some of the rarer/more-interesting stuff. Looked for all the Prime Suspects but they were gone too.

When I checked out, the guy told me to keep my receipt, as there's a 30-day moneyback guarantee(!). You don't hear that very often at store-closing blowout sales.

Ross

DJ Golf wrote:
Y'all may be aware already, but VisArt Video is closing their store on
Hillsborough Road in Durham and they're selling all the DVD's for
$5.99. (Box sets over 300 total minutes are $14.99.) There's a fair
amount of stuff left, and more is supposed to come (although I think I
got the last copy of "Inland Empire.") New releases were pretty
picked-over, but they had tons of back catalogue plus a couple of
"Sopranos" and "Six Feet Under" sets.

Don't worry, the rest of their stores are staying open. This
particular one's lease was up for renewal and it's their lowest-volume
store, so they decided not to sign up for another 3 years.