ch-scene - Taproot Radio News #134

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Calvin Powers" <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Taproot Radio News #134
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 08:45:04 -0500

Rotation #134 - November 12, 2007
read: http://www.taprootradio.com
listen: http://www.live365.com/stations/taprootradio

Howdy,

Recently a friend was giving me a hard time about not playing more James
"Godfather of Soul" Brown on Taproot Radio. If I claim that Taproot Radio is
a soul station how can I not include him? And it's true I rarely play any
James Brown. On Fourth Of July, I'll play "America Is My Home," which is not
at all one of his better songs but it's one of my favorite patriotic songs.
And in occasional moments of weakness I'll play "Good Foot." But I shy away
from James Brown because all his hits have been so overplayed they come
across as filler rather than meat. I told my buddy that if I played James
Brown it would need to be some of his earlier work that captures James
Brown's raw energy and that wasn't so overplayed. And by coincidence, within
a few days after that Mark Johnson pointed me to James Brown's Pure Dynamite
album which he'd seen referenced on a blog. It's a live recording from 1963
at the Baltimore Royal Theater. It has a bootleg feel to it. You can hear
people in the audience talking and giving commentary here and there. But it
brings back the James Brown that we like to remember. Thanks Mark!

>From the ouch-my-head-hurts department, I received in the mail this week a
CD called Wolfgang's Big Night Out by The Brian Setzer Orchestra. As long
time Taproot Radio listeners know, I've been on a Brian Setzer kick the past
few months so I was happy about getting the CD because it's clearly a
novelty CD. Brian Setzer has taken excerpts from famous classical works such
as Betthoven's Symphony #5, Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik," Strauss'
"Blue Danube" and many others and served them up as Big Band tunes. Yes. You
read that right. As Big Band, i.e. like straight out of the 1940s. It's
sooooo wrong and so goood. And I have to say that I don't consider this CD a
novelty CD after all because almost every track stands on its own. Even if
you didn't recgnize the classical work being referenced, the tune would
still stand on it's own. Just goes to show you what a master musician Brian
Setzer is.

If I had to pick a personal theme song, Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Bad
Moon Rising" would be in the short list of candidates. So when I heard that
John Fogerty's latest CD, Revival, was a return to his CCR roots I was
anxious and nervous to hear it. Afraid I'd be disappointed. I wasn't. This
CD feels very good. It gets a little bit self-referential on "Creedence
Song" and there's some political snarkiness I could have done without. But
by far most of the tracks could sit on the same CD as "Proud Mary" and not
seem the least bit out of place. I liked "Creedence Song", "Don't You Wish
It Were True," and "River Is Waiting." But the knock out tracks are "Natural
Thing" and "It Ain't Right."

As always, the full rotation is
online<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/11/taproot-radio-news-134.html>at
the Taproot Radio web site.

Dig Deep,
Calvin
Video "Girl In The Check Out
Line<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/11/girl-in-check-out-line-by-bourbon.html>"
by The Bourbon Dynasty

Recent Adds These Foolish Things / James Brown / Pure Dynamite! / 3:02
Signed, Sealed & Delivered / James Brown / Pure Dynamite! / 2:56
Like A Baby / James Brown / Pure Dynamite! / 2:47
I'll Never Let You Go / James Brown / Pure Dynamite! / 2:16
Please Please Please / James Brown / Pure Dynamite! / 3:56
Oh Baby Don't You Weep / James Brown / Pure Dynamite! / 5:58

Take The 5th / The Brian Setzer Orchestra / Wolfgang's Big Night Out / 4:25
One More Night With You / The Brian Setzer Orchestra / Wolfgang's Big Night
Out / 3:38
Wolfgang's Big Night Out / The Brian Setzer Orchestra / Wolfgang's Big Night
Out / 2:50
Honey Man / The Brian Setzer Orchestra / Wolfgang's Big Night Out / 2:48
Yes We Can Can / The Brian Setzer Orchestra / Wolfgang's Big Night Out /
2:52
Sabre Dance / The Brian Setzer Orchestra / Wolfgang's Big Night Out / 3:01

Don't You Wish It Was True / John Fogerty / Revival / 4:11
Gunslinger / John Fogerty / Revival / 3:32
Creedence Song / John Fogerty / Revival / 3:49
River Is Waiting / John Fogerty / Revival / 3:23
Summer Of Love / John Fogerty / Revival / 3:20
Natural Thing / John Fogerty / Revival / 4:01
It Ain't Right / John Fogerty / Revival / 1:50
Longshot / John Fogerty / Revival / 3:38
This Week's Focus Tracks: These Foolish Things / James Brown / Pure
Dynamite! / 3:02
Take The 5th / The Brian Setzer Orchestra / Wolfgang's Big Night Out / 4:25
Natural Thing / John Fogerty / Revival / 4:01
Brand New Kind Of Actress / Jason Isbel / Sirens Of The Ditch / 5:35
High Horse / Javelinas / Seven Sisters / 3:18
Bread And Water / Ryan Bingham / Mescalito / 4:09
Be Easy / Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings / 100 Days, 100 Nights / 3:04
Silver Mountain / Deadstring Brothers / Silver Mountain / 5:09
Busy Not Cryin' / Robbie Fulks / Revenge / 3:16
La Hiedra Venenosa (Poison Ivy) / Los Straitjackets / Rock en EspaƱol Vol.
One / 3:12
Washed by the Water / Will Hoge / Draw The Curtains / 5:08
I Feel Like A Train / Malcolm Holcombe / Wager / 3:11
Were You Pushed (Or Did You Fall) / Two Dollar Pistols / Here Tomorrow Gone
Today / 2:48
Before The Money Came (The Battle Of Bettye LaVette) / Bettye LaVette / The
Scene Of The Crime / 4:30
Heart Of Matters / Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals / Lifeline / 4:31
She Baby / Heavy Trash / Going Way Out / 2:58
Underneath The Stars / Peter Case / Let Us Now Praise Sleepy John / 3:51
Make It Happy / Lyle Lovett & His Large Band / It's Not Big It's Large /
4:38
If You Catch Me Stealing / Eilen Jewell / Letters From Sinners & Strangers /
4:09
Don't Worry About Me / Dead Rock West / Honey And Salt / 3:11
Love Loss Hope Repeat / Carbon Leaf / Love, Loss, Hope, Repeat / 4:19
Unforgiven / John Doe / A Year In The Wilderness / 3:00
The Weight Of Lies / The Avett Brothers / Emotionalism / 4:30
Mister Kidneys / OFS Unlimited / Eccentric Soul: The Prix Label / 2:05
Trouble In Mind / Lost Bayou Rambler / Old Town School Of Folk Music
Songbook Volume Two & Three (Disc 2) / 2:42
The House Is A Rockin' / Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble / From
Clarksdale to Cleveland Vol.1 The Roadhouse / 2:18
Steeple Full Of Swallows / The Gourds / Noble Creatures / 3:52
Girl In The Checkout Line / The Bourbon Dynasty / The Bourbon Dynasty / 3:18
Getting Ready / Patty Griffin / Children Running Through / 3:16
I Love You So Much It Hurts / Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard & Ray Price /
Last Of The Breed [Disc 2] / 3:10

DJ/Promo Tracks: Nascar / Powersolo / It's Raceday ...And Your Pussy Is
GUT!!! / 1:34
By The Touch Of Her Hand / Robin & Linda Williams / Radio Songs / 3:29
Naissance / The Zoo Human Project / Naissance / 2:40
Time We Got Together / The Hickups / The Hickups / 3:02
The Gravedigger / The Bluerunners / Honey Slides / 6:58
Going To The Country / Steve Miller Band / Number 5 / 3:48
Broken Hearts And Auto Parts / Kevn Kinney / Broken Hearts And Auto Parts /
5:17
This Old World Is Going Down / Modulations / Eccentric Soul: Good God! A
Gospel Funk Hymnal / 3:40
Empty Bed Blues / Bessie Smith / Members Edition / 6:18
Muddy Bottom / David Childers / Blessed In An Unusual Way / 2:52

--
"These are hard times for dreamers." -- from Amelie

--
"These are hard times for dreamers." -- from Amelie

  • Taproot Radio News #134, Calvin Powers, 11/10/2007