ch-scene - TG "Part Two, The Endless Not"

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: DJ Golf <djgolf AT mindspring.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: TG "Part Two, The Endless Not"
  • Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 13:16:22 -0700

Finally got around to picking up the new Throbbing Gristle cd (yes,
there's a new Throbbing Gristle cd - "Part Two, The Endless Not,
recorded 2004-2005 and released earlier this year) and it's pretty
amazingly good on first listen. I must admit I had low expectations,
but was pleasantly surprised. Very subtle/complex songs &
arrangements, of course better recording technology than the old stuff
& hence crystal clear sound, and some downright soulful vocals from
Genesis P-Orridge. TG almost seems to have been influenced in turn by
the current NWOANB (New Wave Of American Noise Bands) who of course
were influenced by them - several pieces from "Endless Not" feature
zombie-stomp percussion tracks right out of the Wolf Eyes catalog (and
Wolf Eyes, of course, pulled those same rhythms off "Heathen Earth"
and "Thee Psychick Sacrifice", so it's all full circle.)

BTW, I googled for some reviews and learned that Lady Jaye Breyer P-
Orridge (member of Psychic TV and partner of Genesis) died earlier
this month at age 38, from a heart defect exposed by her recent bout
with stomach cancer. There's a memorial page on MySpace for those
interested.

  • TG "Part Two, The Endless Not", DJ Golf, 11/03/2007