ch-scene - Taproot Radio News #131

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Calvin Powers" <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Taproot Radio News #131
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 21:54:43 -0400

Rotation #131 - October 22, 2007
read: http://www.taprootradio.com
listen: http://www.live365.com/stations/taprootradio

Howdy,

Talk about firing on all cylinders, the Deadstring Brothers (and sister)
flat out rawk half a dozen different ways on their new CD, Silver Mountain.
Naysayers shake their hands and label them Rolling Stones rip-offs. But if
they are derivative it's from the entire southern music arcana including the
blues, soul, and swamp rock traditions. So I'd rather think of them as
distilling all that is good and righteous in southern music, which is
amusing given the fact that they are (I think) based Detroit. Go figure.

Good Lord it's a banner week for local music here in Raleigh, NC, where
Barney Fife goes to party. The Hideaway scores a double hitter with Malcolm
Holcombe and The Hacienda Brothers on Two consecutive nights. And Bobby Bare
Jr. and Lucero are visiting us right here in the Paris of the Piedmont with
a show at The Cat's Cradle on the 29th.

This week's happy surprise in the mail was Sol Creech's latest effort
Volume: Blues. Reminds me a lot of Jon Spencer Blues Explosion with more
emphasis on the Urban attitude mixed in with the old school blues riffs. A
very good CD for, uh, what's the word? Chillin'?

As always, this week's full rotation is online
<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/10/taproot-radio-news-131.html>at the
Taproot Radio web site.

Dig Deep,
Calvin
Video"Sacred
Heart<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/10/sacred-heart-by-deadstring-brothers.html>"
by The Deadstring Brothers
Calendar: Thu Oct 25: Malcolm Holcombe @ The Hideaway!!!!!!
Fri Oct 26: Hacienda Brothers @ The Hideaway!!!!
Fri Oct 26: Steep Canyon Rangers @ The Hideaway
Mon Oct 29: Bobby Bare Jr. w/ Lucero @ The Cat's Cradle

For more upcoming shows, visit the Taproot Music
Calendar<http://calvin.powers.googlepages.com/taprootcalendar>
.
Recent Adds (Pardon Me) I've Got Someone To Kill / T.Tex Edwards & Out On
Parole / Pardon Me, I've Got Someone To Kill / 2:40
You Ain't Never Gonna' Live To Love Saturday Again / T.Tex Edwards & Out On
Parole / Pardon Me, I've Got Someone To Kill / 2:18
The Cold Hard Facts Of Life / T.Tex Edwards & Out On Parole / Pardon Me,
I've Got Someone To Kill / 3:08

Silver or Gold / Will Hoge / Draw The Curtains / 4:27
Sex, Lies and Money / Will Hoge / Draw The Curtains / 3:14
Midnight Parade / Will Hoge / Draw The Curtains / 3:38
Washed by the Water / Will Hoge / Draw The Curtains / 5:08

Ain't No Hidin' Love / Deadstring Brothers / Silver Mountain / 4:10
Heavy Load / Deadstring Brothers / Silver Mountain / 3:29
If You Want Me To / Deadstring Brothers / Silver Mountain / 4:33
Silver Mountain / Deadstring Brothers / Silver Mountain / 5:09
Some Kind Of User / Deadstring Brothers / Silver Mountain / 4:18
You Look Like The Devil / Deadstring Brothers / Silver Mountain / 3:33
Slow Down / Deadstring Brothers / Silver Mountain / 4:23
Rollin' Blues / Deadstring Brothers / Silver Mountain / 3:43

Prison Blues / Sol / Volume: Blue / 3:23
Gotta Have Rain / Sol / Volume: Blue / 4:39
Off The Blues / Sol / Volume: Blue / 3:16

This Week's Focus Tracks: Ain't No Hidin' Love / Deadstring Brothers /
Silver Mountain / 4:10
Prison Blues / Sol / Volume: Blue / 3:23
Silver or Gold / Will Hoge / Draw The Curtains / 4:27
Back To Hell In A Greyhound / Malcolm Holcombe / Wager / 2:43
Stranger Things Have Happened / Two Dollar Pistols / Here Tomorrow Gone
Today / 2:56
Favorite Part / Chris Rosser / Hidden Everywhere / 3:46
New Shoes / Paolo Nutini / These Streets / 3:22
The End Of History / Fionn Regan / The End Of History / 4:39
You Dont Know Me At All / Bettye LaVette / The Scene Of The Crime / 3:58
Needed You Tonight / Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals / Lifeline / 2:46
Kissy Baby / Heavy Trash / Going Way Out / 3:23
Drugs & Alcohol (Bullet Holes) / Brian Setzer / 13 [Bonus Track] / 4:57
I'm Gonna Change My Ways / Peter Case / Let Us Now Praise Sleepy John / 3:25
The Alley Song / Lyle Lovett & His Large Band / It's Not Big It's Large /
3:12
Heartache Boulevard / Eilen Jewell / Letters From Sinners & Strangers / 2:41

Burning House Of Love / Dead Rock West / Honey And Salt / 4:01
Life Is Just A Circle / Omar and The Howlers / Muddy Springs Road / 3:27
Pretty Girl From Chile / The Avett Brothers / Emotionalism / 5:43
Gone / Hacienda Brothers / Music For Ranch & Town / 7:09
Rolling In My Sweet Baby's Arms (Rollin' In My Sweet Baby's Arms) / Steve
Levitt / Old Town School Of Folk Music Songbook Volume Two & Three (Disc 2)
/ 3:25
Last Fair Deal Gone Down / Crooked Still / Hop High / 4:29
Mama, Nobody's Here But The Baby / Elizabeth Cotten / Shake Sugaree / 1:37
Wang Dang Doodle / Howlin' Wolf / From Clarksdale to Cleveland Vol.1 The
Roadhouse / 2:19
Pearls On A String / Ryan Adams / Easy Tiger / 2:26
Dr. Spivey / The Gourds / Noble Creatures / 3:51
I Don't Ever Give Up / Patty Griffin / Children Running Through / 4:01
What Light / Wilco / Sky Blue Sky / 3:36
River Rouge / The Javelinas / Dirtbath / 2:52
Tobacco Road / Southern Culture On The Skids / Countrypolitan Favorites /
3:49
Stay On The Ride / Patty Griffin / Children Running Through / 5:18

DJ/Promo Tracks: (Pardon Me) I've Got Someone To Kill / T.Tex Edwards & Out
On Parole / Pardon Me, I've Got Someone To Kill / 2:40
Pave My Grave / John Lilly / Haunted Honky Tonk / 2:55
Play The Bay / Benji Cossa / Between The Blue And The Green / 2:32
Coming Home / Louie Zagoras / Twenty Fingers / 4:10
Goin' Goin' Gone / Old 97's / Wreck Your Life / 3:54
I Got You (Radio Edit) / The Bluerunners / Honey Slides / 4:58
Heartaches, Heartaches / O.V . Wright / The Soul Of O.V. Wright / 2:56
Jesus Tambourne / Keny Roby / Carolina Roadkill: NC Alt-Country #2 / 2:46
Rabbit / Ray Wylie Hubbard / Snake Farm / 3:14
Down Home Girl / Nic Armstrong & The Thieves / New Music From New West /
4:03

--
"These are hard times for dreamers." -- from Amelie

  • Taproot Radio News #131, Calvin Powers, 10/22/2007