ch-scene - Taproot Radio News #130

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Calvin Powers" <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Taproot Radio News #130
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 10:38:47 -0400

Taproot Radio News #130
Rotation #130 - October 15, 2007
read: http://www.taprootradio.com
listen: http://www.live365.com/stations/taprootradio

Howdy,

My name is Calvin and I like country music. There. I said it. Plain and
simple. No sense in trying to hide behind trendy alt. prefixes. No sense in
hiding behind "outlaw country". I'm just going to go on record as being a
country music fan. The band that gave me the courage to admit it is The Two
Dollar Pistols <http://www.twodollarpistols.com/>. Their latest CD, Here
Tomorrow, Gone Today, has everything that used to make country music
meaningful and soulful before it got air-brushed into self parody. John
Howie Jr's lyrics push all the right buttons and when his voice his plunges
to Junior Brown depths of bass you can't help but get the religion. There's
so many good tracks on this CD it's hard to pick favorites but if pressed
I'd choose "When It Was Over," "Stranger Things Have Happened," "Tortured
Mind," "Here Tomorrow Gone Today," "I Don't Know You (But I Don't Like
You)," "Were You Pushed (Or Did You Fall)."

Speaking of getting religion, I bet Malcolm
Holcombe<http://www.malcolmholcombe.com/>could start his own cult in
the North Carolina mountains. The man sounds
like someone who's had a vision and his songs feel like gospel. His latest 5
songEP , Wager, take his voice even more over the edge than Not Forgotten.
And yes, the songs sound like they come from deep Appalachia, but they are
so grounded in human experience that you can relate to them no matter where
you are from. Another good trait for a cult leader. Every single song on
theEP deserves air play but the stand out track is "I Feel Like A Train."

Speaking of the North Carolina Mountains, and aren't I just full of stupid
segues this week, I had the chance to hear Chris
Rosser<http://www.chrisrosser.com/>at a house concert last weekend.
He's based out of a small town near
Asheville and spent years mastering various folk music instruments. And then
he developed a fascination with Asian/Indian music and began studying
instruments like theDotar. The result is an amazing fusion of both music
traditions. And you might think that it's nothing but schtick novelty. But
no way. It's an honest sincere melding of Appalachian folk and Indian music,
which he dubs "Indo-billy." His signature tune in this style is "Black
Mountain Ragha " which, alas, does not seem to be available on CD. But I
have added several tracks from his latest CD, Hidden Everywhere to rotation
this week.

North Carolina continues to suffer its worst drought in decades. Folks are
starting to get worried. In an attempt to work a little rain dance mojo on
the area, my live show on WCOM this week is going to completely dedicated to
songs about drought and rain. This theme gives me the chance to perform one
of my favorite radio parlor tricks. I'm going to play four covers of "You
Don't Miss Your Water," one in each of the genres featured on taproot radio.
The original is done as a soul tune by William Bell. The country version is
covered by TheByrds. The rock version was done just a few years ago my Chris
Stamey. And the blues version is done by John Lee Hooker. So tune in to the
web cast on Monday at 9pm Eastern at WCOM <http://communityradio.coop/>. The
full play list for the Drought and Rain show is
online<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/10/drought-and-rain.html>at
the web site.

As always, this week's full rotation is online at the Taproot Radio web
site.

Dig Deep,
Calvin
Video "Mama Told Me
So<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/10/mama-told-me-so-by-malcolm-holcombe.html>"
by Malcolm Holcombe Calendar: Oct 16: Cat Power @ The Cat's Cradle
Oct 16: red elvises @ The Pour House
Oct 17: Billy Joe Shaver @ The Hideaway
Oct 19: Deadstring Brothers @ The Hideaway
Oct 20: Mary Gautheir @ The Cat's Cradle
Oct 21: Po' Girl @ The Hideaway

For more upcoming shows, visit the Taproot Music
Calendar<http://calvin.powers.googlepages.com/taprootcalendar>
.
Recent Adds Loving You / Paolo Nutini / These Streets / 4:01
New Shoes / Paolo Nutini / These Streets / 3:22

Broken Wing / Chris Rosser / Hidden Everywhere / 4:24
Favorite Part / Chris Rosser / Hidden Everywhere / 3:46
Natural Wonder / Chris Rosser / Hidden Everywhere / 3:08

When It Was Over / Two Dollar Pistols / Here Tomorrow Gone Today / 3:28
Stranger Things Have Happened / Two Dollar Pistols / Here Tomorrow Gone
Today / 2:56
Tortured Mind / Two Dollar Pistols / Here Tomorrow Gone Today / 3:53
Here Tomorrow Gone Today / Two Dollar Pistols / Here Tomorrow Gone Today /
3:28
I Don't Know You (But I Don't Like You) / Two Dollar Pistols / Here Tomorrow
Gone Today / 3:02
Were You Pushed (Or Did You Fall) / Two Dollar Pistols / Here Tomorrow Gone
Today / 2:48

That Texas Girl / James Power / Real, Real Man / 2:14
Cold, Cold War / James Power / Real, Real Man / 2:36

I Feel Like A Train / Malcolm Holcombe / Wager / 3:11
Back To Hell In A Greyhound / Malcolm Holcombe / Wager / 2:43
High Rollin' Gambler / Malcolm Holcombe / Wager / 2:43
Backin' Up On Peggy / Malcolm Holcombe / Wager / 3:17
Evelyn / Malcolm Holcombe / Wager / 3:18 This Week's Focus Tracks: I Feel
Like A Train / Malcolm Holcombe / Wager / 3:11
When It Was Over / Two Dollar Pistols / Here Tomorrow Gone Today / 3:28
Broken Wing / Chris Rosser / Hidden Everywhere / 4:24
Loving You / Paolo Nutini / These Streets / 4:01
Black Water Child / Fionn Regan / The End Of History / 3:00
Jealousy / Bettye LaVette / The Scene Of The Crime / 5:36
Double Line / Heavy Trash / Going Way Out / 3:03
Fool For A Lonesome Train / Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals / Lifeline /
3:30
Get Away Blues / Peter Case / Let Us Now Praise Sleepy John / 2:50
Up In Indiana / Lyle Lovett & His Large Band / It's Not Big It's Large /
4:36
Thanks A Lot / Eilen Jewell / Letters From Sinners & Strangers / 2:49
Pretty Disaster / Dead Rock West / Honey And Salt / 3:39
No More Love-Liz Melendez / King Mojo Allstars / Allstars, Vol. 3 / 3:26
Gypsy / Jim Armstrong / Mudtown / 3:28
Block Of Wood / Carbon Leaf / Love, Loss, Hope, Repeat / 4:04
Lean Out Yr Window / John Doe / A Year In The Wilderness / 2:31
Runaway Boys / Brian Setzer And The Nashvillains / Red Hot & Live! / 4:16
Pretty Girl From Chile / The Avett Brothers / Emotionalism / 5:43
Home Of The Blues / Hacienda Brothers / Music For Ranch & Town / 2:50
Come On And Gettit / Marion Black / Eccentric Soul: The Prix Label / 2:16
Nine Pound Hammer / Scott Beson / Old Town School Of Folk Music Songbook
Volume Two & Three (Disc 2) / 1:45
Untitled / Georgie Buck / Elizabeth Cotten / Shake Sugaree / 3:01
Don't Think I Love You Anymore / Shoestring Strap / Mudgrass / 5:20
The Sun Also Sets / Ryan Adams / Easy Tiger / 4:12
Flavor Of The Tongue / The Gourds / Noble Creatures / 4:14
Look Out Dog, Slow Down Train / The Hackensaw Boys / Look Out / 3:16
There's A Whisper / The Bourbon Dynasty / The Bourbon Dynasty / 3:12
You'll Remember / Patty Griffin / Children Running Through / 2:08
War / Mofro / Country Ghetto / 3:28
Green Apples / Po' Girl / Home To You / 5:16
Days Gone By / The Silos / Come On Like The Fast Lane / 3:26

DJ/Promo Tracks: That Texas Girl / James Power / Real, Real Man / 2:14
Who / The Starline Rhythm Boys / Red's Place / 3:31
I'm Paying Now / John Lilly / Haunted Honky Tonk / 3:31
Five More Minutes Alone (Time Bomb) / Benji Cossa / Between The Blue And The
Green / 2:29
Dream Away The Blues / Greg Trooper / Make It Through This World / 4:09
Who'll Stop The Rain / Creedence Clearwater Revival / Chronicle, Vol. 1 /
2:29
A Satisfied Mind / The International Submarine Band / Safe At Home / 2:31
High Head Blues / The Black Crowes / Amorica. / 4:02
Will The Circle Be Unbroken / Willie Nelson / Willie And Family Live - # 2 /
2:10
Jet Pilot / Son Volt / Okemah And The Melody Of Riot / 3:13

--
"These are hard times for dreamers." -- from Amelie

  • Taproot Radio News #130, Calvin Powers, 10/13/2007