ch-scene - Re: OT: Munsell Value / Paint

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Duncan Murrell <dvmurrell AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: OT: Munsell Value / Paint
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 14:34:05 -0400

Thanks! I think part of the problem has been that the people working in a few stores haven't known they should handle Munsell. We'll keep trying, but thanks for the info.

There's a pretty cool story behind this particular color. It was nearly lost after more than 100 years of painting and repainting this ceiling with all sorts of different colors. Some chemist who specializes in doing this sort of thing did an analysis on the various layers, found the original, and then was able to adjust that color to take into consideration age and the various forces that change color over time in particular paints with particular combinations of materials. Having made the adjustment, he came up with the Munsell number.