ch-scene - [Internationalist] is excited about upcoming events!

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist] is excited about upcoming events!
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 13:43:51 -0400

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
www.internationalistbooks.org
919.942.1740

(The SURGE film festival has moved to Durham tonight.)

JONATHAN MESSINGER
Hiding Out
TUESDAY OCTOBER 16 @ 7pm
Join us for Jonathan Messinger's debut novel from Featherproof press.
Nothing is as it seems: A jilted lover dons robot armor to win back the
heart of an ex-girlfriend; an angel loots the home of a single father; a
teenager finds the key to everlasting life in a video game. In this
much-anticipated debut, one of Chicago's most exciting young writers has
crafted playful and empathic tales of misguided lonely hearts. Sparkling
with humor and showcasing an array of styles, Hiding Out features characters
dodging consequences while trying desperately to connect.

CHIP SMITH
The Cost of Privilege
WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 24 @ 7pm
The Cost of Privilege tears through the matrix of ?race relations? to
expose a power structure that has shaped all economic, political and
cultural life in the United States, since colonial settler days.
The visible half of that system is the systematic oppression,
super-exploitation and demonization of people of color by a white
capitalist elite. But the system also requires regular white folks
accepting it as normal and natural, even though they pay a terrible
cost for it. This white acquiescence is based on the systematic
awarding of white privileges, large and small, to everyday working
people who sometimes cling desperately to "whiteness" and often don?t
recognize the role their lives play in a much larger scheme.

KNIT KNIT
SUNDAY NOVEMBER 4 @ 2pm
Join us for a Knit Knit celebration! Sabrina Gschwandtner will be here
to discuss her book, KnitKnit, based on her wonderful zine.

CHOICE
THURSDAY NOVEMBER 29 @ 7pm at Open Eye Cafe
Join us for a panel of women authors who discuss reproductive rights
and their choices to become mothers, not mothers, or anywhere in
between. Panel participants to be announced, but will include authors
from the released book, "Choice" from MacAdam/Cage.

BUY NOTHING DAY
We need your suggestions and energy for our Buy Nothing Day event this
year, on Friday 23 November. Send ideas, panel proposals, DIY workshop
ideas, etc. to daniel AT internationalistbooks.org

In the fall, we're hosting and sponsoring a series of important book
groups and studies at the bookstore. More information will come in
September, but you should email the addresses below for more
information and to RSVP for the discussion. All the book groups are at
the bookstore and all books will be available through bookstore as
well. We hope to expand these book & discussion groups, so please come
and support the pioneering steps!

OCTOBER 4 @ 6:30 & NOVEMBER 1 @ 6:30
Embodied Sexuality Book Group
Amy Stapleford will lead a monthly book group on sexuality and gender.
We have the book for November: Naked on the Internet by Audicia Ray.
Email: amy AT embodiedsexuality.com

OCTOBER 20 @ 6:30
Queer Theory Book Group
Queer theory is for everyone!
Email: kaelin.Alexander AT gmail.com

---

Unsubscribe or update your subscription information here: