ch-scene - Re: Guitar repair question

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Rossi <nospam AT spacelabstudio.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Guitar repair question
  • Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 09:18:22 -0400

Mark Kane is a very accomplished luthier that works out of Fat Sound guitars. He resurrected my old Les Paul studio for me a while back--it is now an amazing guitar.

chris

jim.brantley AT gmail.com wrote:
Can anyone here recommend a guitar repair place in or around Durham?

I have a mongrel Stratocaster which plays fabulously, but on which the
high E string is a little too close to the edge of the fretboard. The
nut is fine (i.e. the strings are properly aligned at the top of the
neck), so I assume that the best way to fix this would be to move the
bridge over a bit (towards the low strings side). However, I imagine
that this would require somehow filling the screw holes(?) since I'll
only need to move the bridge over a little, which I'm not sure how to
do (and/or whether that's a good idea).

If anyone knows anything about how to fix this (either a recommended
repair place or how to fix it myself) I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks,
Jim