ch-scene - Re: Eh, Whatever

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "5er (martin)" <mdhall005 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: gcurrin AT gmail.com
  • Subject: Re: Eh, Whatever
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 22:16:38 -0700 (PDT)

--- gcurrin AT gmail.com wrote:

> One last thing: Martin, if you'd like to write an
> "Eh, Whatever" about
> either of the bands on Burly Time Records, tell me
> the best way to get
> promo copies to you. Your office is on the way to my
> office, so I'd be
> happy to drop them off.

Eh, no thanks. That whole last little zinger was just
my piss poor attempt at humor. Fails me everytime.
Should have bitten my tongue (or fingers) there. I've
got plenty to do at Merge over here on my side of the
fence. I made my futile efforts at local music
writing years ago. That pen has been tucked away for
ages. Was not worth the hassle, to me, of keeping the
two poles separated.

But you really should get the records to WXDU.

> Just keep in mind the loads
> of positive things
> we say about Merge bands (I more or less just called
> Buckner one of
> the best working songwriters in America), and that
> The Ladybug
> Transistor piece was written out of nothing but the
> belief that
> they're just not that great. No spite intended.

Dude this was never, ever about Merge coverage, good
or bad. I hope I made that clear. If I did not I
apologize for my lack of clarity.

I did not take serious offense to what you wrote about
Ladybug Transistor. And if I appeared to take you to
task for it, I assure you it was in jest. You are
entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else.
I would hope that whatever coverage Merge artists get
in the Independent or elsewhere, is based what you or
any other writer/critic thinks of the merits of the
invdividual work. I don't expect you or anyone else
to like everything.

My objection was to the Eh, Whatever section as a
whole.
Not that a Merge band was included. That might seem
hard to believe based of where I happen to work but
it's true. I think it's a silly idea, reaking of
low-brow, seemingly tossed off and weak "criticism" at
best. Hell its not criticism at all. It's nothing
more than 50 word exercise in snark. I think that
this week just as much as I did last week, as I assume
I will be thinking next week as well (and so on). You
guys can have your fun, but that doesn't mean I as a
reader have to enjoy it all the time. And when I saw
that the issue was being debated herein, I thought I
would chime in with my opinion.

But, when it comes right down to it, as Todd and Ross
mentioned earlier, I guess I'm not your audience. I'm
40 years old and I enjoy listening to music with my
Sunday NY Times (and yes I do have to be at work in
the morning). ;-)

As far the whole integration of print with online
content goes...well, I have no idea. Again I am
obviously not your demographic. I never read the Indy
online. So you lose me (and I would assume a lot of
other readers, but I have no idea really) when you
start talking print content being intergrated and
fleshed out online. I pick up the print version of the
Independent to read (or skim) the print version of the
Independent. It never occurs to me to "go deeper"
online. That would be a waste of my time. I've got
other things to read online. But you may well gain as
many readers as you lose with all this syncronicity. I
hear it is the next big thing, and these kids today
are all about the internets, so best of luck with it.

I still think "Eh, Whatever" is a bad idea. But it's
nothing personal.

-5er

"A boy wants a car from his dad.
Dad says, first you got to cut that hair.
Boys says, hey dad Jesus had long hair.
Dad says, That's right son, and Jesus walked everywhere."
- David Berman/The Silver Jews

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/