ch-scene - Taproot Radio News #124

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Calvin Powers" <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Taproot Radio News #124
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 18:45:36 -0400

Rotation #124 August 20, 2007
read: http://www.taprootradio.com
listen: http://www.live365.com/stations/taprootradio

Howdy,

A heat wave and drought is gripping most of North Carolina, pretty soon I'll
have to be doing dust bowl <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_bowl> tribute
shows and Hooverville <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooverville> shows. It's
not quite that bad yet, but sometimes I wonder...... Speaking of hot, one of
my new favorite picks of 2007 is Brian Setzer's Red Hot and Live CD. If your
only exposure to Brian Setzer is his "Stray Cats"stuff you should a) find it
in your heart to forgive him. It was the 80's. It was MTV's hey day.
Everyone was doing it. and b) you should check out his post Stray Cats work.
Very true, authentic sounding rockabilly.

As always, the full rotation for the week is
online<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/08/taproot-radio-news-124.html>.

Dig Deep,
Calvin
Video "Fishnet
Stockings<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/08/fishnet-stocking-by-brian-setzer-and.html>"
by Brian Setzer

Calendar: Thursday Aug 23
Charlie Louvin @ The Pour House
U-Melt @ The Hideaway

Friday Aug 24
Dale Watson & His Lonestars @ The Hideaway
Last Waltz (The Band Tribute) @ The Pour House

For more upcoming shows, visit the Taproot Music
Calendar<http://calvin.powers.googlepages.com/taprootcalendar>
.
Recent Adds

New Releases
Die Die Die / The Avett Brothers / Emotionalism / 2:50
Shame / The Avett Brothers / Emotionalism / 3:53
The Weight Of Lies / The Avett Brothers / Emotionalism / 4:29
Will You Return / The Avett Brothers / Emotionalism / 2:46
The Ballad Of Love And Hate / The Avett Brothers / Emotionalism / 5:20
Salina / The Avett Brothers / Emotionalism / 4:44
Pretty Girl From Chile / The Avett Brothers / Emotionalism / 5:42
All My Mistakes / The Avett Brothers / Emotionalism / 5:08
Living Of Love / The Avett Brothers / Emotionalism / 4:31
I Would Be Sad / The Avett Brothers / Emotionalism / 3:44
Pretty Girl From San Diego / The Avett Brothers / Emotionalism / 3:50
Go To Sleep / The Avett Brothers / Emotionalism / 4:04

Fishnet Stocking / Brian Setzer And The Nashvillains / Red Hor & Live! /
5:14
Runaway Boys / Brian Setzer And The Nashvillains / Red Hor & Live! / 4:15
Peroxide Blonde In A Hopped Model Ford / Brian Setzer And The Nashvillains /
Red Hor & Live! / 3:16
Put Your Cat Clothes On / Brian Setzer And The Nashvillains / Red Hor &
Live! / 3:19
Slow Down / Brian Setzer And The Nashvillains / Red Hor & Live! / 3:21
Get It Off Your Mind / Brian Setzer And The Nashvillains / Red Hor & Live! /
3:00
This Cat's On A Hot Tin Roof / Brian Setzer And The Nashvillains / Red Hor &
Live! / 2:55
Red Hot / Brian Setzer And The Nashvillains / Red Hor & Live! / 2:46

Backfill:
Slipping Around / The Detroit Cobras / Baby / 2:55
Baby Let Me Hold Your Hand / The Detroit Cobras / Baby / 2:20
Weak Spot / The Detroit Cobras / Baby / 2:38
Now You're Gone / The Detroit Cobras / Baby / 1:50
The Real Thing / The Detroit Cobras / Baby / 1:48
Ya Ya Ya (Looking for My Baby) / The Detroit Cobras / Baby / 2:28
My Baby Loves the Secret Agent / The Detroit Cobras / Baby / 2:00
Heartbeat / The Detroit Cobras / Baby / 2:41
99 and a Half Just Won't Do / The Detroit Cobras / Baby / 2:32
Alone Again Or / Calexico / Convict Pool / 3:24
Si Tu Disais / Calexico / Convict Pool / 3:23
Corona / Calexico / Convict Pool / 3:21
Sirena / Calexico / Convict Pool / 3:40

This Week's Focus Tracks: Red Hot / Brian Setzer And The Nashvillains / Red
Hor & Live! / 2:46
Die Die Die / The Avett Brothers / Emotionalism / 2:50
Leavin' On My Mind / Hacienda Brothers / Music For Ranch & Town / 3:37
Red River Valley / Shelley Miller / Old Town School of Folk Music Songbook
Volume Two & Three (Disc 1) / 4:09
Old Virginia / Crooked Still / Hop High / 4:04
Pretty Saro / Cass Wallin / Dark Holler: Old Love Songs And Ballads / 3:00
I'm Going Away / Elizabeth Cotten / Shake Sugaree / 3:25
Somebody Saved Me / Graham Parker / Don't Tell Columbus / 5:28
Rip Off / Ryan Adams / Easy Tiger / 3:12
The Gyroscopic / The Gourds / Noble Creatures / 3:05
I Discovered America / Graham Parker / Don't Tell Columbus / 5:34
Look Out Dog, Slow Down Train / The Hackensaw Boys / Look Out / 3:16
Pay The Price / The Bourbon Dynasty / The Bourbon Dynasty / 3:20
Trapeze / Patty Griffin / Children Running Through / 4:23
Camo Jacket / Two Cow Garage / Three / 3:14
Circadian Rhythm / Son Volt / The Search / 5:02
I Gotta Have My Baby Back / Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard & Ray Price / Last
Of The Breed [Disc 1] / 3:12
Acadian Driftwood / The Roches / Endless Highway: The Music Of The Band /
6:20
A Woman / Mofro / Country Ghetto / 2:59
Not I / Audrey Auld Mezera / Lost Men And Angry Girls / 3:01

DJ/Promo Tracks: Thirty Miles / Kick In The Eye / Rock and Roll Revisited /
2:54
Bad Moon Rising / Creedence Clearwater Revival / Chronicle, Vol. 1 / 2:20
The Closer / Marah / If You Didn't Laugh You'd Cry / 2:44
I'm A Midnight Mover / Wilson Pickett / Greatest Hits / 2:26
High Head Blues / The Black Crowes / Amorica. / 4:01
Thunder On The Mountain / Bob Dylan / Modern Times / 5:55
Marina Takes Her Aim / Kevin Gordon / Down To The Well / 4:30
What's That Say About Love / Honky Tonk Disciples / Kickin' Up Dust / 2:55
Does My Ring Burn Your Finger / Buddy Miller / No Depression: What It Sounds
Like, Vol. 1 / 3:15
Worried Life / Asie Payton / Worried / 4:05

  • Taproot Radio News #124, Calvin Powers, 08/19/2007