ch-scene - Stuff to do, week of August 3, 2007

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, week of August 3, 2007
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 16:48:34 -0400

Friday, August 3
The Strange Boys (http://www.myspace.com/thestrangeboys)
The Golden Boys (http://www.hookorcrook.com/Bands-GoldenBoys.htm)
Dan Melchior und das Menace (http://www.myspace.com/dasmenace)
"Irish Pub" Next Door to Federal, Durham

On the one hand, it's a fairly long way from Austin (home of The Golden Boys) to Dallas (home of The Strange Boys), so maybe they really did both pick their names independently of each other. On the other hand, I would've thought that the towering legacy of The Big Boys would've been enough to make any Texan garage band shy away from the "The XXXX Boys" moniker construction.

Anyway: garage-rock from Texas, which my brief internet listening suggests fits squarely in the tradition of The 13th Floor Elevator Boys.

Dan Melchior und das Menace are the garage-blooz-psych outfit of British expat/Durhamite Dan Melchior, who did time with Holly Golightly a while back.

The flyer for this show says 9pm; if we take 'em at their word & show up then, maybe it'll start then. Worth a try, anyway.

Friday, August 3
Black Skies (http://www.myspace.com/losblackskies)
*SONS (http://www.myspace.com/sonsofthesun)
The Rho Band
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Black Skies are a big ol' hardrock band, featuring Cat's Cradle doorman Kevin Clark on guitar and suitably hoarse bellow. *SONS are a psych-rock band who can space out Syd Barrett style one minute, and bring down the 18-guitar wah-wah deluge the next.

This is the debut of the Rho Band, which is what happens when local rockers get dayjobs: suddenly the company pickup band has Chuck Garrison on drums.

Friday, August 3
Future Islands (http://www.myspace.com/futureislands)
Ear Pwr (http://www.myspace.com/earpwr)
The Show is the Rainbow (http://www.myspace.com/theshowistherainbow)
Tron Valdez
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, August 4
Dom Casual (http://www.myspace.com/domcasual)
The Turnpikes (http://theturnpikes.net)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sunday, August 5
Legion of the Fallen (http://www.myspace.com/legionofthefallen)
The Gusto (http://myspace.com/thegusto)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Monday, August 6
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
In the Year of the Pig (http://www.southernloveprod.com/ityotp.htm)
Daitro (http://www.daitro.com/)
Ampere (http://www.myspace.com/amperepunx)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

des_ark are back from a monthlong tour that took them all the way to the west coast & back, and they're freaking *huge* now, sound-wise. I shot video of them at last Monday's BCHQ show, and though it's (typically for BCHQ) nearly totally dark, I think you'll still get the idea: Jesus Loves You But You're Still Coming Home With Me Tonight. [ http://video.groovo.org/oediv/?flvfile=http://video.groovo.org/oediv/desark-bchq-jesus-jul30-2007.flv ]

Monday, August 6
Calla (http://users.vei.net/eacherhundreds/eh101-calla.htm)
Can Joann (http://www.canjoann.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, August 8
Phon
Ray's Vast Basement (http://www.myspace.com/raysvastbasement)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, August 8
North Elementary (http://www.northelementary.com)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to do, week of August 3, 2007, grady, 08/03/2007