ch-scene - Re: Slint

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: thegav AT hotmail.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Slint
  • Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:37:00 -0700

On Jul 27, 4:13 pm, elegantch... AT gmail.com (Christina C) wrote:
> I wrote about the show in my blog, spookstina.blogspot.com. I posted a
> picture of the set list, along with 2 videos I took. It was amazing!
>
> Christina
>
> On 7/24/07, Bryk <chsc... AT bryk.com> wrote:
>

> > Peter Searcy made a Y2K record for Time Bomb that is one killer slice
> > of the power pop. I can't believe he'd slum it to play those kinda-
> > songs.
>
> > Then again, what's so funny 'bout sweet nostalgia for kids who
> > weren't there?
>
> > Can I get an Ex-Lion Tamers ?
>
> > dB
>
> > On Jul 24, 2007, at 10:53 AM, Chris Rossi wrote:
>
> > > Acck! It cuts off right as you're getting towards the climax. I have
> > > some very blue balls now, thanks to you Mr. Davis.
>
> > > chris

> > > -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors alt.music.chapel-hill --
> > >http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/ch-scene
>
> > -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors alt.music.chapel-hill --
> >http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/ch-scene
>
> -- ch-scene: the list that mirrors alt.music.chapel-hill
> --http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/ch-scene- Hide quoted text -

(Just back from vacation. It was hot there.)

Meant to say thanks for all the Slint feedback. The Searcy comment was
interesting to me. Most (all?) of his post-Squirrel Bait output,
including his one-time Mammoth Records band Big Wheel, was
uncomfortably in the "power-pop" vein. Like, awkwardly so. And that's
not a knock on power pop--I liked him as a sort of counterpoint to
what went on musically in Squirrel Bait but without those people he
just seemed kinda normal, I guess. Kinda like he was still looking for
the right skin to wear after his early-years punk screaming.

--GAVIN

  • Re: Slint, thegav, 08/03/2007