ch-scene - Re: The Handsome Family: September 14 Chapel Hill NC

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: ansmithers AT yahoo.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: The Handsome Family: September 14 Chapel Hill NC
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:23:00 -0700

probably something like 3:00 PM, or maybe, and I mean maybe, 5:00-7 PM
or something like that. Don't worry, I am sure the information will
become available. It is more likely it will be during the day, sucks
for working folks, as Wilson Library has hardcore security due to all
the special collections, also, although open and inviting to the
general public, as a part of UNC as an academic institution, I would
imagine that funding for such events consider it important that
University community have access. On the other hand, events like this
are designed specifically for community outreach and enrichment
outside the university, and to promote interest in and knowledge about
the archives. The building locks up at 6, like don't get caught in
the stairwell or you have to call the cops locks up. They do have
some speaker based events that start at 6 though on occasion.

There is probably no info on the website because no one told the
person who handles such things to do so, and while it is a special
event, the focus of the library is research and preservation.

There never have been tickets issued before so I doubt there will be
this time, that is way too much bureaucracy, plus, while they will be
on a stage (a quite lovely miniature stage that I think will frame and
suit the music Mr. and Mrs. Sparks nicely), the Pleasants Room is a
lecture room essentially. I imagine it will be packed though, and
people will be turned away. Marcus could probably draw 180 from
campus alone, and the Handsome Family as well for that matter.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, although I do work at the SFC on
specific projects and have nothing to do with this kind of stuff and,
as seems to be common in deep and dark archives that I have worked in,
I don't see other people too often. I can say, information will be
forthcoming I have no doubt, newspaper stories and the like. The last
few music conferences have had articles in the Indy and the N and O so
I don't think this will be any different.