ch-scene - :-)=> Our Weekend Shows This Weekend are the F****nG Best

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "charlie st.clair" <nightlightbooking AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: :-)=> Our Weekend Shows This Weekend are the F****nG Best
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:59:46 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nightlight Regalia <nightlight AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Date: Jul 12, 2007 7:27 PM
To: nightlightbooking AT gmail.com

CONCEPTUAL META-e-mail

Not to brag or nothing, but it is a wham-doodle this weekend. Rather
than bore you with my e-mail scribble or pixel nonsense, I will take
the lazy way and reprint the words from our local rag The Independent,
and then compare with the words written by yours truly on the
Nightlight Schedule page (http://www.nightlightclub.com/schedule.html)

The short of it is-
Fri 7/13 - The Gates of Beauty / Beloved Binge / Melancholy Babes - 10 PM $5
Sat 7/14 - *SONS / Charlene / Whitebird - 10 PM $5

On to the review charting.

From the Indy
The Gates of Beauty, Beloved Binge, Melancholy Babes, Nightlight

GoB is Anne Gomez, Shannon Morrow and Wendy Spitzer, and they sound
like what their collective experience might lead one to suspect: terse
bass-and-drum interplay that skitters and splashes like a lady rattler
in a creek bed. Shouted vocals amp the agitation. $5/ 10 p.m. —CT
(Chris Toenes)

My Version

I have been looking forward to this one for months, and it is a Durham
invasion! I swear to you, with hundreds of hundreds of millions of
dollars of investment going into the revitalization of Downtown
Durham, it seems only natural that there would arrive on our doorstep
a veritable 3-ton composite robot of bands who, in various ways,
create a gigantic megalithic monster of anti-rock power. For example,
Gates of Beauty is a female super-group of epic proportions, featuring
Wendy of Eyes to Space, Anne of Cantwell, Gomez & Jordan/Hotel
Motel/SOC Rovers, and Shannon of SOCRovers, ex-Bride of No-No, and
Mahasamatman (one of my new favorites). Beloved Binge, recently
relocated from Seattle, have literally stormed Durham, quickly
developing a reputation that precedes themselves and showing up all
over the place, much to my surprise/delight. And of course, in a
similar fashion, Dave and Amy have turned Melancholy Babes from an ad
hoc improvisation work-out to a fully fleshed improv workshop, replete
with alt-use instrumentation depleting your familiarity with your
surroundings. Quite simply, this show is a keeper.

From the Indy

Charlene, Whitebird, *SONS, Nightlight

A nice, three rock-band bill offering a continuum: The Virginians of
Whitebird do it heaviest, long, winding and scabrous solos cutting
between driving verses built on plenty of humid Southern snarl.
They're the most ROCK outfit here, with our own *SONS a distant
psychedelic second. When their three guitars are firing, though,
they're capable of becoming a great, carved sheet of sound.
Massachusetts' Charlene is the most dazed here, their hazy Galaxie 500
pop dreamstates lifted and quickened by an active rhythm section and
long synthesizer lines that make the guitars push forward with melody
without getting lost in the (slight shoe-) gaze. $5/ 10 p.m. —GC
(Grayson Currin)

My Version

Fresh off of two dates on the road, *SONS will be returning. Landing
in the dog ears of a well-worn copy of a fantasy novel which
undoubtedly features a guitar made of gold, plus two shred factor. I
hope I don't overplay the RPG references on this page, but I get the
sincere impression everytime *SONS plays that some mythical horse like
Pegasus, or some similar winged flying creature, will be descending
through a Skylight (our little sis), wipping up some frenetically
over-stimulated young rock chick, or perhaps her disaffected older
brother, wisking them away to some land where drums, guitars, and
kung-fu moves converge i a veritable overthrow of the local indie rock
scene in favor of the new heavy psyche rock scene. It's those tweaked
parts of the bridge that get me. Joining them are two out-of-town
bands, most likely to the confusion of the insane local rock devotees,
but to the delight of those of us who need that exogenous variable in
order to reinform our knowledge of universal rock dis-norms.

--
NIGHTLIGHT BAR & CLUB
405 1/2 Rosemary St

--