ch-scene - Stuff to Do, Week of July 6, 2007

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to Do, Week of July 6, 2007
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 17:57:43 -0400

Friday, July 6
Big Fat Gap (http://www.bigfatgap.com/)
Sweet By and By (http://www.myspace.com/sweetbyby )
Hideaway BBQ, Raleigh

Friday, July 6
The Fiery Furnaces (http://thefieryfurnaces.com/)
Dios
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

Someone will have to explain to me how the Fiery Furnaces, who put on one of the stranger Cradle shows I've seen, have somehow managed to outgrow the Cradle & make the move to Raleigh's home of the Tribute Bands, the Lincoln Theatre.

Friday, July 6
Patty Hurst Shifter (http://www.pattyhurstshifter.com)
Left Outlet (http://www.myspace.com/leftoutlet)
Pour House, Raleigh

Friday, July 6
Erie Choir (http://www.eriechoir.com)
The Never (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/never.html)
Transit Union (http://www.myspace.com/transitunion)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

The Never are a buncha boys making multi-part-harmony artpop. Erie Choir is fronted by Eric Roehrig, who writes brilliant melancholy songs & gets his talented friends from other local bands to play them. I hate this kinda shorthand, but it's hard to avoid an Elliott Smith comparison, in the most complimentary way possible.

Transit Union is 3/4ths of that amazing Durham high school band Strunken White, who wrote dizzying two-guitar mini-symphonies & released a couple of CDs before breaking up to go to college. They're joined by Will Hackney of Trekky Records (they were gonna make a band with Aimee Argote of des_ark, but every time they practiced the results were SO GOOD that they couldn't risk slaying people with their brilliance, so they swore never to appear in public together).

Friday, July 6
Dexter Romweber (http://www.dexterromweber.com)
Andy Mabe (http://www.andymabe.com/)
The Love Language (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
The Werehouse, Winston-Salem

Friday, July 6
Malt Swagger
Polynya (http://www.myspace.com/polynyapolynya)
Fontana (http://www.myspace.com/fontana1)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Three reclusive Durham bands, who rarely even play out in their own hometown (due in part to being grownups with kids & jobs & stuff), make the trek to Chapel Hill. Malt Swagger make pulsating instrumental soundscapes, with vibraphone & guitar taking the lead. Fontana had a great, overlong song about Durham on the Rockin' The Blocks compilation. Polynya used to be a sorta 80s brit/mope-pop-influenced band, but it's been so long since I last saw them that I couldn't really say.

Saturday, July 7
Ian McLagen & the Bump Band (http://www.ianmclagan.com)
The Way-Goners
Hideaway BBQ, Raleigh

Saturday, July 7
The Whole World Laughing (http://www.myspace.com/twwl)
The Curtains of Night
Boy/Girl (http://www.pleasehate.us/)
The Gay Blades (http://www.myspace.com/gayblades)
Ringside, Durham

This is a CD-release party for the NY-based Boy/Girl, who've hooked up with Durham's 307 Knox Records. The Whole World Laughing, is, of course, the basstar/drums duo of Dave Cantwell & Scotty Irving.

Saturday, July 7
DJs Mothersbrothers
Pulsoptional (http://www.pulsoptional.org/)
Pykrete (http://www.bullfightparty.org/cirox/pykrete)
The Trapper Keepers (http://www.myspace.com/thetrapperkeepers)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Chuck Johnson, AKA Pykrete, will be heading to the Bay Area pretty soon for grad school, so grab one of your last near-term chances to see him.

Pulsoptional are a Durham-based composers' collective; their recent self-titled CD is already on my top-10 for 2007. It's "New Music" in a post-minimalist vein, but between the collectivism (they all play each other's pieces) and the rock backgrounds of some of them, there's nothing remotely stuffy about it. It's exuberant; it's great.

Sunday, July 8
Minchia (http://www.myspace.com/minchianc)
Hands and Knees (http://myspace.com/handsandknees)
Impossible Hair (http://www.myspace.com/impossiblehair)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Thursday, July 12
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Pela (http://www.myspace.com/pela)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

HNMTF is a young-ish local indie-rock band whose blend of melodicism and screwy guitar-work harkens back to the 90s heyday of that kinda stuff.

Friday, July 13
Saunter (http://www.sauntermusic.com/)
Bull City (http://www.bullcitytheband.com/)
Dead to Society (http://www.myspace.com/deadtosociety101)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Friday, July 13
Big Lazy (http://www.biglazymusic.com/)
The Moaners (http://www.themoaners.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, July 13
St. Vincent (http://www.ilovestvincent.com)
Scout Niblett (http://www.myspace.com/scoutniblett)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

If I recall correctly, St. Vincent is an old Texas/Polyphonic Spree friend of Daniel Hart's, named Annie, and in fact Daniel's going to be spending a chunk of the summer on the road with her. So here's your chance to wish him bon voyage.

Friday, July 13
Beloved Binge (http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge)
The Gates of Beauty (http://www.myspace.com/gatesofbeauty)
Melancholy Babes (http://www.myspace.com/melancholybabes)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

It's your unlucky day. Melancholy Babes is an improv-ish duo of Dave Cantwell (Cantwell Gomez Jordan, The Whole World Laughing) & Amy Wilkinson (ex-Bringerer, ex-Chew Toy). Beloved Binge you know all about: Eleni & Rob signify the tipping point whereupon it became impossible to argue against moving to Durham for any reason.

The Gates of Beauty are a bass-bass-drums supergroup of Anne Gomez (CGJ, America's Next Top Models, ex-Hotel Motel, ex-HMS Cervix, ex-etc), Wendy Spitzer (Eyes to Space) and Shannon Morrow (Mahasamatman, Scene of the Crime Rovers, ex-Bicentennial Quarters, ex-HMS Cervix). Too much.

Saturday, July 14
*SONS (http://www.myspace.com/sonsofthesun)
Whitebird (http://www.myspace.com/whitebirdrockandroll)
Charlene (http://www.myspace.com/charleneband)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

*SONS are a space-psych-rock band who love Syd Barrett enough to cover him on their debut CD, "Viracochas."

Saturday, July 14
Joe Romeo (http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic)
Hundred Air (http://www.myspace.com/hundredair)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Joe Romeo & his Orange County Volunteers make a sort of easygoing country-rock that'll slip right by you if you're not listening for Joe's witty, well-crafted lyrics. Hundred Air is the new-ish band of Adam Price, who was once in Mayflies USA.

Saturday, July 14
Can Joann (http://www.canjoann.com/)
The Dali Drama (http://www.myspace.com/thedalidrama)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sunday, July 15
The Gourds (http://www.thegourds.com)
Hideaway BBQ, Raleigh

Sunday, July 15
Richard Buckner (http://www.richardbuckner.com/)
Six Parts Seven (http://www.6parts7.com)
David Karsten Daniels (http://www.davidkarstendaniels.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Sunday, July 15
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Parts and Labor (http://www.partsandlabor.net/)
Calabi Yau (http://www.calabiyau.org)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Cantwell Gomez & Jordan play music for music's sake, for the sake of fun, for the sake of confounding each other (and their audiences). It's a purity of purpose that translates, perhaps surprisingly, into music that's remarkably fun & light on its feet.

Calabi Yau are from Charlotte; I'm tempted to say that they're the only great thing about that otherwise misbegotten city. They make fucked-up scribble-scrobble noise/spazz, like Les Claypool after a 15-year 'shroom bender.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to Do, Week of July 6, 2007, grady, 07/06/2007