ch-scene - Taproot Radio News #117 - Gourds, Ryan Adams, Graham Parker and more....

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Calvin Powers" <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Taproot Radio News #117 - Gourds, Ryan Adams, Graham Parker and more....
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 07:24:56 -0400

Howdy,

The Gourds latest CD, Noble Creature, came out this week! Life is good, way
good. Honestly, I don't think there's a weak track on the whole CD. Mark
your calendars for their CD release party on July 15th at The Hideaway BBQ!
I didn't get the CD in my hands in time to work the tracks into rotation,
but it'll be on the air next week.

Oh yeah, and some kid named Ryan Adams put out a CD this week too. :-) I
liked his latest, Easy Tiger, but at the same time, it kinda made me
appreciate Cold Roses all the more. Help me figure out which tracks to
include in rotation by filling out the listener poll. See below for the
link.

The full rotation for this week can be found online
<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/06/taproot-radio-news-117.html>at the
Taproot Radio web site.

Dig Deep,
Calvin
Recent Reviews:
Noble
Creatures<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/06/noble-creatures-by-gourds.html>by
The Gourds
Easy
Tiger<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/06/easy-tiger-by-ryan-adams.html>by
Ryan Adams
Don't Tell
Columbus<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/06/dont-tell-columbus-by-graham-parker.html>by
Graham Parker
Let The Madness
Begin<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/06/let-madness-begin-by-kris-kondrashoff.html>by
Kim Kondrashoff
Video: The Gourds coverng the Rolling Stones' "Miss
You<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/06/miss-you-covered-by-gourds.html>
"
Calendar: July 3rd, Tres Chicas at The Hideaway
July 6, Brothers Grim at Sadlacks
July 7 Hacienda Brothers at The Hideaway

See The Taproot
Calendar<http://calvin.powers.googlepages.com/taprootcalendar>for more
upcoming shows.
Listener Polls: This week's listener poll is to rate the songs on Ryan
Adams' latest CD, Easy Tiger
<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/06/easy-tiger-by-ryan-adams.html>.

Last week's listener poll rated the songs on Two Cow Garage's latest CD,
Three. I wasn't surprised to see that "Come Back To Shelby" and "Cammo
Jacket" came out on top. But I was surprised to see that "Now I Know" didn't
do better. Here's the full results. Songs are rated from 1 stars to 5
stars:

1. Come Back To Shelby : 4.25
2. Epitaph : 3
3. No Shame : 3.33
4. The Great Gravitron Massacre : 2
5. Now I Know : 2
6. Should've California : 2
7. Cammo Jacket : 4
8. Mediocre : 2
9. Camaro : 3
10. Gape and Shudder : 2.5
11. Blanket Gray : 2
12. Arson : 2.5
13. Postcards and Apologies : 2.5

This Week's Focus Tracks: Madalyn's Bones / Gurf Morlix / Diamonds To Dust
/ 3:32
Baby Needs A New Pair Of Shoes / Joe Ely / Happy Songs From Rattlesnake
Gulch (P) 2007 / 3:36
Oh, Girl / The Hackensaw Boys / Look Out / 3:04
The Best That I Can Do / The Bourbon Dynasty / The Bourbon Dynasty / 3:03
Stay On The Ride / Patty Griffin / Children Running Through / 5:17
Flavor on the Tongue / The Gourds / Noble Bonus Tracks / 4:21
Sky Blue Sky / Wilco / Sky Blue Sky / 3:23
Ramblin' Heart / Gravy Boys / Working The Angels For Handouts / 3:26
Pictures From The Past / Jon Shain / Army Jacket Winter / 3:31
Have You Seen Her Face / Southern Culture On The Skids / Countrypolitan
Favorites / 2:21
This Little Light / Mavis Staples / We'll Never Turn Back / 3:22
It Didn't Take Too Long / Scott Miller & The Commonwealth / Reconstruction /
2:34
Camo Jacket / Two Cow Garage / Three / 3:14
Action / Son Volt / The Search / 2:48
Heal Yourself / Ruthie Foster / The Phenomenal Ruthie Foster / 4:32
When I Paint My Masterpiece / Josh Turner / Endless Highway: The Music Of
The Band / 5:03
I Ain't Him / Pete Berwick / Ain't No Train Outta Nashville / 3:27
Not Coming Back / The Brass Uncle Band / Three Mobtown Gallons / 3:19
Circles / Mofro / Country Ghetto / 4:04
Everybody Swings Around Here / Chris Berardo & The DesBerardos / Ignoring
All The Warning Signs / 3:32

  • Taproot Radio News #117 - Gourds, Ryan Adams, Graham Parker and more...., Calvin Powers, 06/30/2007