ch-scene - Stuff to Do, Week of June 29, 2007

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to Do, Week of June 29, 2007
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 18:03:38 -0400

Friday, June 29
Awesome Color (http://awesomecolor.net)
Radio Birdman (http://www.radio-birdman.com/)
The Ettes (http://www.myspace.com/theettes)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, June 29
The Breaks
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The Breaks are a casual rock-n-roll band that grew out of the retired-rockers enclave that's grown up in downtown Pittsboro. Steve Carr and Brunson Hoole were in the Emperors of Ice Cream back in the late 80s/early 90s, and have played/recorded with that other Pittsboro pop band Stratocruiser. John Ensslin was in Teasing the Korean/What Peggy Wants, and more recently Marat.

Friday, June 29
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
The Trousers
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

The Loners are the great reunited garage-rock duo of Eddie Taylor and Chris Jones. In an effort to use the appropriate idiom, I gotta say they rip.

The Trousers are a sort of acid-rock band; I saw them play in Raleigh a couple of weeks ago but I can't remember much in the way of details.

Saturday, June 30
Polynya (http://www.myspace.com/polynyapolynya)
What's Her Face
The Curtains of Night
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

This is an afternoon (3:00) benefit for the Rock'n'Roll Camp for Girls, which is exactly what it sounds like: awesome.

Saturday, June 30
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Bowerbirds (http://www.bowerbirds.org)
Bull City (http://www.bullcitytheband.com/)
Wes Phillips (http://www.myspace.com/wesleydongeroga)
Blend, Chapel Hill

A reunion of sorts: Wes Phillips used to be in Ticonderoga with Phil Moore & Mark Paulson of Bowerbirds. They expired well before their time.

Bull City recently released one of the better albums of the year thus far, "Guns & Butter." Schooner are about to do much the same, though their leap to 54-40 or Fight records has made them subject to that label's release schedule, so we have to wait a bit.

Saturday, June 30
Le Weekend (http://www.myspace.com/leweekendleband)
Mahasamatman (http://www.cirrusoxide.com/journal/?p=48)
Minchia (http://www.myspace.com/minchianc)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

This is a regular-evening show. Le Weekend are Matt Kalb's (Audubon Park, ex-Hotel Motel) band wherein he indulges his pop-meets-prog-meets-Steely Dan tendencies, aided & abetted by a cast of locals including members of The Nein, Erie Choir, Audubon Park & Piedmont Charisma.

Mahasamatman is Shannon Morrow, Chuck Johnson, and Chris Eubank, making them collectively 2/3rds of 2 of the greatest NC bands of all time, Spatula and the Bicentennial Quarters.

Saturday, June 30
Fin Fang Foom (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/finfangfoom.html)
Ben Davis + The Jetts (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/bendavis.html)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Ben Davis's solo albums have been collaborative affairs, and so too the bands he's assembled to play his music live. The current iteration is my favorite of the bunch, I think; they've got the longhair rock power of Eric Wallen, while still preserving the delicate finesse of Ben's melodies.

Saturday, June 30
The Hem of His Garment (http://www.myspace.com/thehemofhisgarment)
BY (http://www.myspace.com/beelzebubyouth)
Tree Creature (http://www.myspace.com/treecreature)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

The Hem of His Garment are a large, ever-morphing ensemble of local musicians dedicated to interstellar communications via massive drone.

Saturday, June 30
ANTiSEEN (http://www.antiseen.com)
Concrete Bombers (http://www.myspace.com/concretebombers)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

ANTiSEEN have been cranking out the gnarly southern scumpunk for the past 20+ years, and there's still nothing quite like 'em. If you haven't seen Jeff Clayton grind a broken bottle into his forehead, then you really don't know a thing about punkrock in the south.

Sunday, July 1
The Whole World Laughing (http://www.myspace.com/twwl)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

The Whole World Laughing are Dave Cantwell (Cantwell Gomez & Jordan, ex-Razzle, ex-Analogue) on basstar, and Scotty Irving (Clang Quartet, ex-Geezer Lake) on drums. They're kinda like if Razzle & Analogue were compressed together & then stripped down to a bare-bones two-piece: repetitive, mostly-instrumental space-rock with a metallic edge.

5:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, July 1
Two Cow Garage (http://www.twocowgarage.com/)
Hideaway BBQ, Raleigh

Monday, July 2
Opening Flower Happy Bird (http://www.myspace.com/openingflowerhappybird)
Antique Curtains (http://www.myspace.com/antiquecurtains)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Opening Flower Happy Bird are apparently shortly going to trade in their split-existence (half Carrboro, half Richmond) for some sort of all-NC setup, which is good news. Their 2-man gtr/drums/ laptop/keys /drums setup has been getting increasingly sophisticated-sounding on CD, but live they still seem forever on the verge of collapse, in a good way.

Monday, July 2
Palomar (http://www.palomarnyc.com/)
Americans in France
Missy Thangs
Milo Jones
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, July 3
Tres Chicas (http://www.treschicas.org/)
Stoll Vaughan
Hideaway BBQ, Raleigh

Tuesday, July 3
Pretty Boy Thorson (http://www.myspace.com/prettyboythorson)
Eberhardt (http://www.myspace.com/eberhardtnc)
God Damn Doo Wop Band
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Eberhardt are Yet Another Gtr/Drums Duo, but they mix it up in true Durham fashion with a little trombone, some banjo, that sorta thing.

Tuesday, July 3
Snatches of Pink (http://www.snatchesofpink.com/)
Chris Smith
The Ts
Pour House, Raleigh

Tuesday, July 3
Man Will Destroy Himself
Rabia
Animale
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

The only connection between this Man Will Destroy Himself and the Raleigh punk/metal band from a few years back is the bass player and perhaps a couple of the songs.

Wednesday, July 4
Evil Wiener (http://www.evilwienerworld.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

It wouldn't be July 4th without the annual Evil Wiener Roast; you've never heard The Stars and Stripes Forever until you've heard it on theremin. More generally, few things make me prouder to be an American than seeing Billy Sugarfix, Groves Willer & Chuck Garrison paying tribute to our great nation, hopefully while wearing big powdered wigs.

Wednesday, July 4
Craig Hilton
Crowmeat Bob
In the Year of the Pig (http://www.southernloveprod.com/ityotp.htm)
Inspector 22 & The Bramble Ramblers
Black History Moth (http://www.myspace.com/blackhistorymoth)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Speaking of being proud to be an American, there may be other countries where this kind of semi-sane noisy foolishness might be permitted, but there are precious few where you'd get to see *this much* noisy foolishness smack in the middle of the Sacred National Anniversary Holiday.

Thursday, July 5
Promute (http://www.promute.com/)
Tone Ghosting (http://www.toneghosting.com/)
Matt Weston (http://www.mattweston.com)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, July 6
Big Fat Gap (http://www.bigfatgap.com/)
Sweet By and By (http://www.myspace.com/sweetbyby )
Hideaway BBQ, Raleigh

Friday, July 6
The Fiery Furnaces (http://thefieryfurnaces.com/)
Dios
Lincoln Theater, Raleigh

Someone will have to explain to me how the Fiery Furnaces, who put on one of the stranger Cradle shows I've seen, have somehow managed to outgrow the Cradle & make the move to Raleigh's home of the Tribute Bands, the Lincoln Theatre.

Friday, July 6
Patty Hurst Shifter (http://www.pattyhurstshifter.com)
Left Outlet (http://www.myspace.com/leftoutlet)
Pour House, Raleigh

Friday, July 6
Erie Choir (http://www.eriechoir.com)
The Never (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/never.html)
Transit Union (http://www.myspace.com/transitunion)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

The Never are a buncha boys making multi-part-harmony artpop. Erie Choir is fronted by Eric Roehrig, who writes brilliant melancholy songs & gets his talented friends from other local bands to play them. I hate this kinda shorthand, but it's hard to avoid an Elliott Smith comparison, in the most complimentary way possible.

Friday, July 6
Dexter Romweber (http://www.dexterromweber.com)
Andy Mabe (http://www.andymabe.com/)
The Love Language (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
The Werehouse, Winston-Salem

Friday, July 6
Malt Swagger
Polynya (http://www.myspace.com/polynyapolynya)
Fontana (http://www.myspace.com/fontana1)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Three reclusive Durham bands, who rarely even play out in their own hometown (due in part to being grownups with kids & jobs & stuff), make the trek to Chapel Hill. Malt Swagger make pulsating instrumental soundscapes, with vibraphone & guitar taking the lead. Fontana had a great, overlong song about Durham on the Rockin' The Blocks compilation. Polynya used to be a sorta 80s brit/mope-pop-influenced band, but it's been so long since I last saw them that I couldn't really say.

Saturday, July 7
Ian McLagen & the Bump Band (http://www.ianmclagan.com)
The Way-Goners
Hideaway BBQ, Raleigh

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to Do, Week of June 29, 2007, grady, 06/29/2007