ch-scene - [Internationalist Books] a summer full of events...

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist Books] a summer full of events...
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:37:29 -0400

Internationalist Books & Community Center
405 W Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
www.internationalistbooks.org
919.942.1740

Happy Queer Pride Month!

We need your help!
Internationalist Books needs your support to keep our store and community space alive. Throughout June, we’re having plenty of fun events at various locations. Stop by and support Internationalist Books – and have a good time doing it! With your help, we’ve stayed around for 26 years – with your continued help, Internationalist Books will be around for many more years!

NEW SUMMER MAGAZINE SHIPMENTS! New magazines and journals have just arrived this past week. Come check out our new collection!

JESSIE SAYS: From astounding imagery to poetic verses, Beloved boasts it all. This novel will transport the reader into the late 1800’s where one will delve into the minds of ex-slaves. Toni Morrison frees herself from the traditional slave narrative and speaks instead of the psychological effects of slavery. She weaves an intriguing tale full of suspense and profound emotion. Her characters are believable yet unusual enough so that one can understand the full effects of slavery. Her tale includes a mysterious ghost but she introduces it in a convincing manner. Readers will continue turning pages in anticipation of what will unfold next. No one will regret reading this magical and impressionable novel.

WEDNESDAY 27 JUNE @ 7PM
HIJAS AMERICANAS by Rosie Molinary
Young Latinas grow up dealing with two, often conflicting, sets of expectations about how they should look, how they should act and how they should dream, points out Molinary, a poet, teacher and first-generation Latina born to Puerto-Rican parents, in this study. Drawing on the responses of more than 500 women who answered an extensive survey, Molinary lays out the most pressing tensions and obstacles for Latinas around issues like body image, religion and sexuality. In chapters titled Turning Gringa and How Latina Are You? she weaves together her own stories with the anecdotes of her survey respondents.

SATURDAY 30 JUNE @ 6PM
FILM FESTIVAL: THE EDUCATION OF SHELBY KNOX
Join us for our first in a series of films that will continue throughout the summer months. The first film, The Education of Shelby Knox, is about the failures of sex education in the public school system. Join us to have your say in future films!

SATURDAY 14 JULY @ 7PM
COMING OUT COMING ALIVE by Grace Lawson
Grace Lawson will be here to discuss how she, after being in a conservative Christian marriage, came out as a lesbian and has since found a partner, love, and happiness. She now wants to help out as well as hear your successful (and maybe not so successful) coming-out stories. Join us as she discusses ways to maintain positivity in rough times, and help her collect positive stories of queer successes.

SATURDAY 21 JULY @ 7PM
VOYEURISTIC REGIME: Surveillance and Countersurveillance Ethics/Praxis
Join us for a discussion group about the politics of surveillance. We will be discussing how surveillance and countersurveillance works, as well as the various possibilities for the group’s future. This discussion group is open to everyone. If you missed the first meeting, email daniel AT internationalistbooks.org to catch up!

WEDNESDAY 25 JULY @ 7PM
THIS IS MY HOME by Adam Rust
Rust tells the stories of North Carolinians in manufactured, low-cost housing. These low-income families describe the successes of the manufactured housing program in eastern North Carolina, and the author will discuss how this program can help overcome the failures of other housing programs. It will serve as a solution, an asset in combating our nation’s affordable housing crisis.

PROFESSORS & INSTRUCTORS: Please consider selling your Fall Semester textbooks at Internationalist Books. It is a great way (and easy way!) for you to support the bookshop. Email daniel AT internationalistbooks.org for more information and to find out how.
STUDENTS: Tell your awesome professors/instructors to sell their books for the Fall Semester at Internationalist Books. Tell them it is a great and easy way for them to support the bookshop. They can email daniel AT internationalistbooks.org for more information.

And support our friends, too! Here are some other upcoming events that we think you should check out as well:

Athens, Ohio
July 26-31, 2006
2007 CrimethInc. Convergence
RSVP to crimethincbooking AT yahoo.com : download the poster and/or handbill Anarchist Camaraderie o Workshops and Discussions o Direct Action Trainings o Planning for mobilizations through 2008 o Prisoner Support o Gift Economics Subversive Games o Anti-Capitalist Survival Skills o Revolutionary Pleasure o Creating a Culture of Resistance Please join us this summer for the sixth annual CrimethInc. convergence, this time in the countyside outside lovely Athens, Ohio. To attend, show up at 21 Kern Street, Athens, OH 45701 between noon and 10 pm on July 25 or 26.

  • [Internationalist Books] a summer full of events..., internationalistbooks, 06/26/2007