ch-scene - Re: Taproot Radio News #116

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Calvin Powers" <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Taproot Radio News #116
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:30:25 -0400

d'oh! thanks for the correction and the pointer to Cantwell, Gomez, and
Jordan.

On 6/24/07, grady <grady AT ibiblio.org> wrote:

The Marah show is July 26th, not the day after tomorrow. There's
apparently nothing at the 506 on Tuesday, in fact, so you'd be standing
in front of a shuttered bar, and eventually you'd decide to go around
the corner to Nightlight to see Cantwell Gomez & Jordan, and then your
life would be changed, for the better, in an entirely unexpected way.

xo

Ross

Calvin Powers wrote:
> Rotation #116 - June 25, 2007
> read: http://www.taprootradio.com
> listen: http://www.live365.com/stations/taprootradio
>
> Howdy,
>
> It's shaping up to be a great music week in our neck of the woods with
> Marah, The Blue Dogs, and Two Cow Garage all coming to town. If you're
local
> to the Carrboro/Chapel Hill area be sure to book mark the Taproot Music
> Calendar and check back often for music show updates.
>
> We've hit that perfect time of year in the Carolina's where it's warm
but
> not oppressively hot so it's the time of year for happy, sunny, high
energy
> music. The two CDs that are fitting the bill for me right now are Joe
Ely's

http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/06/diamonds-to-dust-by-gurf-morlix_18.html

http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/06/rate-three-by-two-cow-garage.html>by
> Two Cow Garage.
>

> Last Week's poll rating your favorit Stax records artists revealed all
te
> Usual Favorites plus a few surprises. Here's the full tally where each
> artists is ranked from 1 to 5 stars.
> Albert King - 3
> Annette Thomas - 4
> Barbara and The Browns - 3
> Barbara Stephens - 3
> Bobby Marchan - 3
> Booker T and the M.G.s - 4
> Calvin Scott - 3
> Carla Thomas - 4
> Rufus Thiomas - 3
> The Cobras - 3
> Derek Martin - 3
> Dorothy Williams - 3
> The Drapels - 3
> Eddie Floyd - 3
> Eddie Kirk - 3
> Four Shells - 3
> Freddie Waters - 3
> Inex Fox - 3
> Isacc Hayes - 4
> Ivory Joe Hunter - 3
> Jean Knight - 4
> Jimmy Hughes - 3
> Johnnie Taylor - 3
> Johnny Daye - 3
> Judy Clay - 3
> Linda Lyndell - 4
> Little Milton - 3
> Little Sonny - 3
> Mabe John - 5
> Mad Lads - 3
> Mar-Keys - 3
> Marchwind - 3
> Margie Joseph - 3
> Oscar Mack - 3
> Otis Redding - 5
> Prince Conley - 3
> Ruby Johnson - 5
> Sam and Dave - 5
> The Staple Singers - 5
> William Bell - 4
>
> This Week's Focus Tracks: Food, Water, Shelter & Love / Gurf Morlix /
> Diamonds To Dust / 5:11
> Sue Me Sue / Joe Ely / Happy Songs From Rattlesnake Gulch (P) 2007 /
3:14
> Sweet Petunia / The Hackensaw Boys / Look Out / 2:35
> Things You Put Me Through / The Bourbon Dynasty / The Bourbon Dynasty /
2:31

> Trapeze / Patty Griffin / Children Running Through / 4:23
> Promenade / The Gourds / Noble Bonus Tracks / 5:20
> Shake It Off / Wilco / Sky Blue Sky / 5:42
> Freight Train Ramblin' / Gravy Boys / Working The Angels For Handouts /
3:49

> Song For JoJo / Jon Shain / Army Jacket Winter / 3:11
> Te Ni Nee Ni Nu / Southern Culture On The Skids / Countrypolitan
Favorites /
> 3:19
> 99 And 1/2 / Mavis Staples / We'll Never Turn Back / 4:46
> Only Everything / Scott Miller & The Commonwealth / Reconstruction /
3:13
> Now I Know / Two Cow Garage / Three / 2:34
> Satellite / Son Volt / The Search / 2:14
> I Love You A Thousand Ways / Willie Nelson & Merle Haggard / Last Of The
> Breed [Disc 1] / 2:57
> Harder Than The Fall / Ruthie Foster / The Phenomenal Ruthie Foster /
3:30
> Ain't No Train Outta Nashville / Pete Berwick / Ain't No Train Outta
> Nashville / 3:11
> Goodbye / Mofro / Country Ghetto / 2:57
> Square One / Tom Petty / Highway Companion / 3:25
> Mellow Down Easy / The Black Crowes / Freak 'N' Roll... Into The Fog:
The