ch-scene - Taproot Radio News #116

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Calvin Powers" <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Taproot Radio News #116
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 06:56:12 -0400

Rotation #116 - June 25, 2007
read: http://www.taprootradio.com
listen: http://www.live365.com/stations/taprootradio

Howdy,

It's shaping up to be a great music week in our neck of the woods with
Marah, The Blue Dogs, and Two Cow Garage all coming to town. If you're local
to the Carrboro/Chapel Hill area be sure to book mark the Taproot Music
Calendar and check back often for music show updates.

We've hit that perfect time of year in the Carolina's where it's warm but
not oppressively hot so it's the time of year for happy, sunny, high energy
music. The two CDs that are fitting the bill for me right now are Joe Ely's
Happy Songs from Rattlesnake Gulch and the Hackensaw Boys cd Look Out!

Last week's poll to rate your favorite artists from Stax records mostly
revealed all the usual favorites:
Mable John
Otis Redding
Ruby Johnson
Sam and Dave
The Staple Singers

The complete rotation for this week can be found
online<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/06/taproot-radio-news-116.html>
.

Dig Deep,
Calvin
Video: "Diamonds To
Dust<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/06/diamonds-to-dust-by-gurf-morlix_18.html>"
by Gurf Morlix
Calendar: Shows to put on your calendar this week:
June 26th: Marah at Local 506
June 29th, Blue Dogs at The Pour House
July 1st: Two Cow Garage at The Hideaway BBQ

See The Taproot
Calendar<http://calvin.powers.googlepages.com/taprootcalendar>for more
upcoming shows.
Listener Polls: This weeks poll, rate the songs on
Three<http://www.taprootradio.com/2007/06/rate-three-by-two-cow-garage.html>by
Two Cow Garage.

Last Week's poll rating your favorit Stax records artists revealed all te
Usual Favorites plus a few surprises. Here's the full tally where each
artists is ranked from 1 to 5 stars.
Albert King - 3
Annette Thomas - 4
Barbara and The Browns - 3
Barbara Stephens - 3
Bobby Marchan - 3
Booker T and the M.G.s - 4
Calvin Scott - 3
Carla Thomas - 4
Rufus Thiomas - 3
The Cobras - 3
Derek Martin - 3
Dorothy Williams - 3
The Drapels - 3
Eddie Floyd - 3
Eddie Kirk - 3
Four Shells - 3
Freddie Waters - 3
Inex Fox - 3
Isacc Hayes - 4
Ivory Joe Hunter - 3
Jean Knight - 4
Jimmy Hughes - 3
Johnnie Taylor - 3
Johnny Daye - 3
Judy Clay - 3
Linda Lyndell - 4
Little Milton - 3
Little Sonny - 3
Mabe John - 5
Mad Lads - 3
Mar-Keys - 3
Marchwind - 3
Margie Joseph - 3
Oscar Mack - 3
Otis Redding - 5
Prince Conley - 3
Ruby Johnson - 5
Sam and Dave - 5
The Staple Singers - 5
William Bell - 4

This Week's Focus Tracks: Food, Water, Shelter & Love / Gurf Morlix /
Diamonds To Dust / 5:11
Sue Me Sue / Joe Ely / Happy Songs From Rattlesnake Gulch (P) 2007 / 3:14
Sweet Petunia / The Hackensaw Boys / Look Out / 2:35
Things You Put Me Through / The Bourbon Dynasty / The Bourbon Dynasty / 2:31

Trapeze / Patty Griffin / Children Running Through / 4:23
Promenade / The Gourds / Noble Bonus Tracks / 5:20
Shake It Off / Wilco / Sky Blue Sky / 5:42
Freight Train Ramblin' / Gravy Boys / Working The Angels For Handouts / 3:49

Song For JoJo / Jon Shain / Army Jacket Winter / 3:11
Te Ni Nee Ni Nu / Southern Culture On The Skids / Countrypolitan Favorites /
3:19
99 And 1/2 / Mavis Staples / We'll Never Turn Back / 4:46
Only Everything / Scott Miller & The Commonwealth / Reconstruction / 3:13
Now I Know / Two Cow Garage / Three / 2:34
Satellite / Son Volt / The Search / 2:14
I Love You A Thousand Ways / Willie Nelson & Merle Haggard / Last Of The
Breed [Disc 1] / 2:57
Harder Than The Fall / Ruthie Foster / The Phenomenal Ruthie Foster / 3:30
Ain't No Train Outta Nashville / Pete Berwick / Ain't No Train Outta
Nashville / 3:11
Goodbye / Mofro / Country Ghetto / 2:57
Square One / Tom Petty / Highway Companion / 3:25
Mellow Down Easy / The Black Crowes / Freak 'N' Roll... Into The Fog: The
Black Crowes All Join Hands The Fillmore, San Francisco [Live] [Disc 2] /
4:35