ch-scene - stuff to do, week of June 15, 2007

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of June 15, 2007
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 17:37:59 -0400

Friday, June 15
Wolverines (http://www.wolverinesrock.com/)
Steeples
Damezumari
Tarantuloco
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Friday, June 15
Tennis and the Mennonites (http://www.tennisandthemennonites.com)
Sleepsound (http://www.sleepsound.org/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, June 15
Jimmy & The Teasers (http://www.geocities.com/booze1031/teasers.html)
Adult Film Makers (http://www.myspace.com/adultfilmmakers)
The Moaners (http://www.themoaners.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Three different takes on bluesy garage-swamp stomp. The Moaners recorded their 2nd album in Mississippi, and it's flooded with Deep South swamp stank. Adult Film Makers are a Bad Checks offshoot, with Checks drummer Rock Forbes stepping out front to sing.

Saturday, June 16
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
Barghest (http://www.myspace.com/jesseainslie)
Wil Donegan and the Apologies
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Megafaun emerged from the ashes of DeYarmond Edison. They make trad/oldtime style music that's separated/fused via bursts of drone/ambient noise.

Will Hackney from Trekky Records sent this along:

Barghest is the work of Jesse Ainslie. Jesse used to be in a band with Josh Kimbrough (Butterflies) and Joe Norkus (Embarrassing Fruits) back in the day called Straight No Chaser. He moved to New York for a couple years and joined Castanets and toured the world. Now he's back and playing as Barghest. Its sort of psych-ambient barnfolk music. He's the newest official artist on Trekky Records (although he's not new, we've known him for 7 years). This will be sort of the release show for his EP "Thanateros" (if we can get enough assembled in time). Wil Donegan and the Apologies is led by Wil Donegan who's been a Schoolkids Chapel Hill clerk for a couple years and just starting writing these charming self-aware folk songs. The Apologies are me on bass and Jon Mackey and Casey Trela (Sweater Weather) on guitar and drums.

Saturday, June 16
Asylum Street Spankers (http://www.asylumstreetspankers.com/)
The Mad Tea Party (http://www.themadteaparty.com/)
Pour House, Raleigh

Saturday, June 16
Dexter Romweber (http://www.dexterromweber.com)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sunday, June 17
Adam Thorn & the Top Buttons (http://www.myspace.com/thetopbuttons)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Adam Thorn used to sing for the Greensboro postpunk band Kudzu Wish. His new band, The Top Buttons, is a mod-inspired 3-piece who set out aiming in the direction of the Who & the Jam, but get kinda sidetracked by their southern sloppy Greensboro rockness (bassist Tim LaFollette was in Kudzu Wish, and drummer Jonathan Moore is in Health & TigerBearWolf). It's fun and catchy and sloppy and kinda filthy (OK, well, not on the radio, but you can use yr imagination). 5:00 88.7FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, June 17
The Butchies (http://www.thebutchies.com/)
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

The listing says "Butchies Acoustic" but I think that maybe means "Kaia solo" or something along those lines. I dunno. Aimee will be doing the solo acoustic des_ark thing, as far as I know. Midtown Dickens is always more or less acoustic, but always duo (plus).

Monday, June 18
The Nothing Noise (http://www.myspace.com/thenothingnoise)
The Winter Sounds (http://www.thewintersounds.com)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Monday, June 18
Thunderlip (http://www.thunderlip.com/)
Colossus (http://www.myspace.com/thecolossuswillcrushyou)
Tooth
Reservoir, Carrboro

Heavy! Thunderlip are from Wilmington & everything they take onstage goes to eleven, including their crazed frontman (OK, more like 111). Colossus and Tooth have excellent [heavy] reps, but I haven't seen 'em.

Tuesday, June 19
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
The Ex-Members (http://www.myspace.com/theexmembers)
Team Dresch (http://www.myspace.com/teamdresch)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Team Dresch were a brilliant and hugely influential queer punk/rockband from the Pacific Northwest, back in the 90s. When they broke up, singer/guitarist Kaia Wilson and (2nd) drummer Melissa York wound up in Durham, where they eventually formed the Butchies. Kaia moved back to the other corner a couple of years ago, and now, lo and behold, Team Dresch are back together. Not just for a couple of reunion shows, but as a fully-functioning touring/recording outfit. Such great good fortune.

Melissa York stayed around Durham after the Butchies split; she plays drums for the Ex-Members.

Tuesday, June 19
Eyes to Space (http://www.eyestospace.net/)
Peelander-Z (http://www.peelander-z.com/p-z_e/home_e.html)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Peelander-Z are cartoon-costume-wearing rockers from Japan. Very primary-colors. Eyes to Space write songs--whole albums, in fact--about robots & outer space & the future and stuff like that.

Tuesday, June 19
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
The Goodnight Loving (http://www.myspace.com/thegoodnightloving)
Vancougar (http://www.myspace.com/vancougar)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Wednesday, June 20
Stratocruiser (http://www.stratocruisermusic.com/)
Lez Zeppelin (http://www.lezzeppelin.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Why couldn't Lez Zeppelin, the all-woman Zep tribute band, have been around back when I maybe had the patience for this kind of stuff? Back in those days, all we had was Dread Zeppelin, and yeah, no wonder I lost interest.

Stratocruiser are a damnfine powerpop/rock band from the Greater Pittsboro Metro Area.

Wednesday, June 20
The Whole World Laughing (http://www.myspace.com/twwl)
Relay for Death (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thisreallyhappenedok/476680815/in/set-72157600155578944/)
Fat Worm of Error (http://yeay.suchfun.net/artists/fwoerawdata.html)
Rotten Milk (http://www.diabolical.org/rm/rottenmilk.html)
Opposites Attack (http://www.myspace.com/oppositesattackarcata)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

It's Scotty Irving's (Whole World Laughing, Clang Quartet) 40th Birthday!

Wednesday, June 20
Great Northern (http://www.myspace.com/greatnorthern)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, June 21
Fan-Tan (http://www.myspace.com/fantanrock)
Go Motion (http://www.myspace.com/gomotion)
Blend, Chapel Hill

Fan-Tan is a North Elementary offshoot/side project/whatever.

Thursday, June 21
Dr. Powerful (http://drpowerful.googlepages.com)
Tooth
Gun Metal Black
Marvell Building, Durham

Dr. Powerful are a big overdriven outer-spacey indierock band from Sanford.

Thursday, June 21
snmnmnm (http://www.snmnmnm.com/)
Sweater Weather (http://www.sweater-weather.com)
Gertie Fox (http://www.myspace.com/gertiefox)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sweater Weather are a big sweeping emotive band, so big that I'm trying to imagine them crammed into the Cave. Don't stand too close to the cellos, lest you get a bow (or an endpin! yow!) in yr privates.

Thursday, June 21
Haale (http://www.myspace.com/haale)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, June 21
Opening Flower Happy Bird (http://www.myspace.com/openingflowerhappybird)
When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (http://www.myspace.com/lildinos)
Toxic Lobster (http://www.myspace.com/toxiclobster)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Opening Flower Happy Bird are a sweet weird two-man gtr/drums/ drums/laptop/ whatever wistful dance-pop band.

Friday, June 22
Double Negative (http://www.myspace.com/thedoublenegative)
Cross Laws (http://www.myspace.com/crosslaws)
Acid Reflux
Life Trap
Life Crisis
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Double Negative's new LP, "The Wonderful and Frightening World of Double Negative," is the best hardcore album to come out of NC in years; some would say decades. Why did it take 4 40-year-old Raleighites to show all the snot-nosed punkers how it's done? Maybe because they lived through (and were in punk bands during) the Reagan Era; certainly Kevin Collins's voice seems loaded with a kind of weariness that might spring from seeing history repeat itself, only worse the second time. Absolutely crucial.

Friday, June 22
The Never (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/never.html)
The Physics of Meaning (http://www.thephysicsofmeaning.com/)
Cary Ann Hearst (http://www.caryannhearst.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, June 22
Steve Howell
Hideaway BBQ, Raleigh

Steve Howell wrote songs & played twangy Telecaster in the Backsliders. His new band contains a bunch of vets: Allyn Love on pedal steel, Pee Wee Watson on bass, ex-Six String Dragger Scott Miller on guitar and ex-Backslider JD Maness on drums.

Friday, June 22
Billy Sugarfix (http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/billysugarfix.htm)
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Charles Latham (http://www.myspace.com/sircharleslatham)
Bowerbirds (http://www.bowerbirds.org)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Charles Latham is releasing a new CD, and this is the party for it. Then he's moving to Philadelphia, to be closer to Terri Gross.

Bowerbirds are about to be huge celebrities, so see 'em now.

Midtown Dickens & Billy Sugarfix are both genius at capturing the tiny minutiae of daily life into songs that are anything but mundane.

Friday, June 22
Dan Melchior (http://danmelchior.com/)
Sugar in the Dirt (http://www.myspace.com/sugarinthedirt)
Early Morning Swim (http://www.myspace.com/earlymorningswimm)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Friday, June 22
The Spinns (http://www.thespinns.freeservers.com/)
Joe Swank and the Zen Pirates (http://www.myspace.com/joeswankandthezenpirates)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The Spinns broke up last year; this is listed as a "reunion farewell." They are/were a great stompy spirit-of-'66 garage-rock band.

Saturday, June 23
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
Black Skies (http://www.myspace.com/losblackskies)
Hazerai (http://www.myspace.com/hazerai)
Big Business (http://www.bigbigbusiness.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Caltrop are ultra-heavy, ultra-sludgy, ultra-huge stoner-rockers. Hazerai are more in the neighborhood of post-Fugazi punkrock. Black Skies are fronted by Cat's Cradle doorman Kevin Clark, who was born to stick a microphone down his pants.

Saturday, June 23
Accelerators
Hank Sinatra (http://www.hank-sinatra.com/)
Hideaway BBQ, Raleigh

Accelerators were a great sweet-sounding southern bar-rock band back in the 80s; they grabbed for the brass ring a half-dozen times, and are only the better for having never quite caught it.

Saturday, June 23
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Eberhardt (http://www.myspace.com/eberhardtnc)
Dan Melchior (http://danmelchior.com/)
Titus Andronicus (http://www.myspace.com/titusandronicus)
Ringside, Durham

This is a CD-release party for the long-awaited Future Kings of Nowhere CD. They're a big rawboned pop-punk band who just happen not to have any electric guitars. Singer Shayne O'Neill's loud, just-nasal-enough voice more than makes up for that, though.

Saturday, June 23
Kenny Roby (http://www.kennyroby.com)
The Houstons
The Cave, Chapel Hill