ch-scene - stuff to do, week of May 4, 2007

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of May 4, 2007
  • Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 18:55:39 -0400

House show/skillshare thing this weekend in Carrboro: http://orangepolitics.org/2007/05/skill-share-the-hillsborough-road-co-op/

Otherwise:

Friday, May 4
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
Pykrete (http://www.bullfightparty.org/cirox/pykrete)
Bowerbirds (http://www.bowerbirds.org)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
Horseback (http://www.myspace.com/horsebacknoise)
305 South, Durham

If I'm reading these tea leaves correctly, this is a CD-release party for the new Burly Time label, operated in part by Independent Weekly staffer Grayson Currin. Their first two releases are CDs from Bowerbirds (brilliant gorgeous nervy pastoral art-folk from former Ticonderoga member Phil Moore & his lady Beth Tacular) and Horseback (quiet bedroom drone-folk from Jenks Miller (In The Year of the Pig, The Hem of His Garment, Mount Moriah, Un Deux Trois, etc)).

Friday, May 4
Thad Cockrell (http://www.thadcockrell.com/)
The Old Ceremony (http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Thad Cockrell is an exceptional honky-tonk (and gospel) singer-songwriter from NC, though he's been duking it out in Nashville for a year or two now.

The Old Ceremony are a big baroque piano-art-pop band with a heavy debt (for more than just the bandname) to Leonard Cohen.

Friday, May 4
Twilighter (http://twilighter.net/)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Salt With Bitters
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Twilighter have been around for a few years, but their earlier recordings were more country-pastoral than their latest release, which acquired a welcome jolt of Feelies/VU nervous tension from someplace-or-other. Plus the album-closing "Pick Up," featuring Sonar Strange on lead vox, is one of the best things I've heard in years.

Hammer No More The Fingers are a new indie-rock band touching all the classic old touchstones, most notably the screwy guitars of our misspent youth.

Friday, May 4
Man Will Destroy Himself
The Ts
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, May 5
Annuals (http://www.myspace.com/annuals)
Blonde Redhead (http://www.blonde-redhead.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

I haven't seen or heard Blonde Redhead since they went all sugary a couple of records ago (isn't that what I read? Everything I know about music I get from The Internets). Annuals, of course, are stuck in that 21st-century limbo between Pitchfork hyping your debut and then whatever's supposed to happen *after* Pitchfork hypes your debut.

Saturday, May 5
The Mountain Goats (http://www.themountaingoats.net/)
The Public Good
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is an anniversary party for Local 506. Dunno which anniversary it is specifically, but there's no harm in celebrating. The Public Good features former members of the Popes, which might only be meaningful to you if you lived here in the late 80s.

p.s. Glenn says it's sold out.

Sunday, May 6
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Midtown Dickens have an album coming out (finally!) next week sometime, so I suppose that means they're long overdue for an XDU appearance. On the surface it's naive streetcorner folkmuzik, but it doesn't take much to get below that surface, where vast eddies of ambivalence lurk. 5:00 p.m. 88.7FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, May 6
Jello Biafra (http://www.alternativetentacles.com/bandinfo.php?band=jello)
Blend, Chapel Hill

This is a spoken-word performance, but then aren't they all.

Sunday, May 6
The Gourds (http://www.thegourds.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Sunday, May 6
Invasion (http://www.myspace.com/invasionmusic)
*SONS (http://www.myspace.com/sonsofthesun)
Charlene (http://www.myspace.com/charleneband)
Reservoir, Carrboro

*SONS are a new-ish Floyd-y acid/psych band from Chapel Hill; lots of echo & wah. Charlene are, I'm told, from Boston. Invasion got a good writeup last year in the Indy, but I haven't managed to see them yet.

Monday, May 7
MC Frontalot (http://www.frontalot.com/)
Pink Motor Monsters (http://www.myspace.com/pinkmotormonsters)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, May 8
Shakermaker (http://shakermaker.org/)
Rat Jackson (http://www.myspace.com/ratjacksonmusic)
Teapot Dome (http://myspace.com/teapotdomer)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, May 8
Eyes to Space (http://www.eyestospace.net/)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Eyes to Space make nerdy UFO-rock of the highest order (OK, make that 2nd-highest order, E.T. Rock being the permanent holder of the top spot. Dammit, why is E.T. Rock ungooglable? I must rectify that).

Wednesday, May 9
Lud (http://www.smithlevelrecords.com)
Fuse, Chapel Hill

Kirk characterized this run of shows (every Wednesday in May) like so:

We may even try to play quietly on the patio sometimes. Other times would be a wild dance party except nobody dances much. Shows will start around 10 or so and last until we decide to pack up and go home. We tend to play long sets these days -- just kinda wandering around through the catalog or making something up. Plum blossoms herald spring. Lud songs herald summer. This is your chance. The town will be emptier with more oxygen and less exhaust. The nights will be cool but not cold. We will bring flowers and used paperbacks and your drink will taste better than you thought it ever could. The wind will kick up from time to time. You'll see someone across the bar. Years later, driving down Rosemary Street, something comes back to you.

Wednesday, May 9
Violet Vector and the Lovely Lovelies (http://www.myspace.com/violetvectorandthelovelylovelies)
Josh Abbott (http://www.myspace.com/joshuadavidabbott)
Old Haunts (http://www.oldhaunts.com/)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Old Haunts are on KRS, and are currently touring with the mighty Tobi Vail on the drum throne. Violet Vector bring the girl-group sound on their demo, but I'll betcha it's rawer in person.

Wednesday, May 9
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
The Delta Drift (http://deltadrift.com)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Wednesday, May 9
Dr. Dog (http://www.drdogmusic.com/)
Sean Hoots & Hellmouth (http://www.myspace.com/seanhoots)
The Teeth (http://www.myspace.com/teeth)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, May 10
The Clientele (http://www.mergerecords.com)
Bowerbirds (http://www.bowerbirds.org)
The Ladybug Transistor (http://www.theladybugtransistor.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

If the Bowerbirds ever find themselves in front of the right audience--basically, music lovers who're willing to Shut The Fuck Up and listen to a quiet opening band--they'll be freaking huge, because they are utterly brilliant & emotionally devastating, albeit at low volumes. Is tonight the night, or will the Clientele kids stand around yakking through the openers?

Thursday, May 10
Pacific Before Tiger
Darsombra (http://darsombra.com/)
Destructo Swarmbots (http://www.destructoswarmbots.com/)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, May 10
Shannon O'Connor (http://shannonoconnor.com/)
Joe Hundtermark Trio
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Thursday, May 10
The Old Ceremony (http://www.theoldceremony.com/)
Carter Gaj (http://www.myspace.com/cartergaj)
Pour House, Raleigh

Friday, May 11
Cowboy Junkies (http://www.cowboyjunkies.com/)
Teddy Thompson (http://www.teddythompson.com)
Carolina Theatre, Durham

Friday, May 11
David Bazan (http://www.davidbazan.com/)
Johnathan Rice (http://johnathanrice.com/)
Ben Gibbard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Gibbard)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, May 11
8 Eyes (http://www.eight-eyes.com)
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

8 Eyes is the twisted pop band of Brad Newell, who has been teaching music & playing around NC since the 80s (he released the first 8 Eyes CD in 1989). Wry, witty, like a less classic-rocky Warren Zevon, maybe. Excellent Ricky Martin cover, too.

Killer Filler is southern twangy surfrumental spy-soundtrack fun.

Friday, May 11
Concrete Bombers (http://www.myspace.com/concretebombers)
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
Tooth
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Dry Heathens are snotty indie-rockers, Concrete Bombers are skate-punks, and Tooth are heavy, or so I'm told. Perfect for a warm Friday night in the city.

Friday, May 11
Pit er Pat (http://www.piterpat.com/)
Priestbird (http://www.priestbird.com/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, May 11
The Men
Dogme95 (http://www.myspace.com/dogme95)
Yellow Fever (http://www.myspace.com/yellerfever)
Alexis Gideon (http://www.alexisgideon.com/)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, May 11
Snatches of Pink (http://www.snatchesofpink.com/)
Chris Smith
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Another CD-release party for the new Snatches CD, their first on Michael Rank & John Howie's new label, 8th House.

Saturday, May 12
Cantwell, Gomez, Jordan (http://www.cantwellgomezandjordan.com)
Kimya Dawson (http://www.kimyadawson.com/)
Wigg Report (http://www.synchronizedswim.org)
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
The Tourist (http://www.myspace.com/thetouristnc)
305 South, Durham

Good lord, this is a huge show. Midtown Dickens are supposed to be celebrating the release of their debut CD, but instead they decided to throw a huge party to celebrate all their talented friends & their bands. I pretty much have to quote this all verbatim:

2pm -- door ( i hear its fantastic)
3pm -- the tourist (hunter has a band and a new album and its sooooooooo good). i expect it to be drizzling outside but warm and a little sunny at the northern most corner of the sky.
3:30-- Vroom (vroom is my best friend in CA (she's comin all the way to d-town--ooot!) and she's so crazy awesome and Vroom is her real last name and she has a dirty little falda).
4-- midtown dickens kinder hour set (we wanted to have an early set-ya know-for tha kids)
4:30--kimya dawson kinder hour set (ah!)
5--the wigg report--the birth of a new baby! i mean ben and his wife are having a baby at any moment. but hey, i guess the wigg also sounds like the birth of a new baby.
5:30-- bicycats--straight from the sidewalk cafe, our antifolk buddy zach is the coolest
6-- megafaun--bluegrass experimental awesomism to the max. burly time records. also awesome.
6:30-- eberhardt--swampy run-away-from-home rock. distortion, drums, trombone, banjo and a little bit of hoo-ha... soooo good.
7-- The Future Kings of Nowhere (and the naughty palates) -- cut off all your hair acousticore punk and they have a new album coming out june 23rd on 307 knox! ooT!
7:30-- cantwell gomez & jordan--i wish there was a way to type in an alternate time signature. or to make all loud music so refreshing.
8-- beloved binge-the perfect example of why gender-balanced bands are so important: theyre totally rockin and well balanced with style and intelligence. oh yeah but all girls are totally rockin and well balanced with style and intelligence. but rob is totally rockin and well balanced with style and intelligence, too. hmm. theyre so good.
8:30-- charles latham--music writing used to seem like greek to me and then i saw charles play and was like "oh. so this is how its suppost to be." AFSE YEAH!
9-- The bowerbirds--nostalgic heart breaking (you can get your heart broken in good ways, too, like with going to the fair when you're 7) gypsy folk.( i hope you guys don't mind the word folk) and the coolest couple around. you guys should check out some of beth's art; it's incredible.
9:30-- malcolm rollick--gut exposing amazingness. she makes shit up onthe spot and yells the truth with nothing to hide behind but a guitar and to me that takes more than open mics when you're 14.
10:15-- Midtown dickens-- theyre ok.
11-- KIMYA DAWSON! (ah! ah! seriously, if you haven't yet been blessed go do so immediately!)
11:45-- the ex-members--poppy electronic/guitar/bass/goodness with the best lookin folks in town! yah! dance! dance!
12:15-- DJs Fancy Pants & Sneakers (awww shit.)

Saturday, May 12
Joe Romeo (http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic)
Bull City (http://www.bullcitytheband.com/)
Juan Huevos (http://www.myspace.com/juanhuevos)
Blend, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for the excellent new Bull City CD, "Guns and Butter." They've changed-up a little since their earlier demos; practice, woodshedding, just hanging out have increased the southern drawl in their pop-rock. The CD walks a crooked line between Alex Chilton/Big Star and Crazy Horse.

Saturday, May 12
Twilighter (http://twilighter.net/)
Hwyl (http://www.myspace.com/hwylmusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, May 12
Mono (http://www.canal.ne.jp/~sound/mono/e_bio.html)
World's End Girlfriend (http://www.noble-label.net/artist/?en&weg)
Grails (http://www.myspace.com/grailsongs)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, May 12
Vibrant Green (http://vibrantgreen.iuma.com)
snmnmnm (http://www.snmnmnm.com/)
The Busy World (http://www.myspace.com/thebusyworld)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sunday, May 13
The Polyphonic Spree (http://www.thepolyphonicspree.com)
The Pierces (http://www.thepiercesmusic.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

I will freely admit, I had a huge emotional upwelling when I saw the Polyphonic Spree. This was before the 2nd, less-excellent album came out, and I kinda stopped paying attention at that point. But I can only assume that if they're still traveling with a fukkin assload of people, all of whom sing and play french horns and flail around like happy cultists on E, it'll still be amazing to see.

Sunday, May 13
La Fraction (http://www.lafraction.org/)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Mothers' Day French Punk Rock!