ch-scene - Jem Cohen Documentary about the Ex at Full Frame

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Jem Cohen Documentary about the Ex at Full Frame
  • Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 18:12:22 -0400

This lady from Full Frame sent this to me, so I'm forwarding it along to y'all. I will be far far away from Durham this weekend. I thought "Instrument" was at first really good and then, eventually, really unnecessarily long. I see that this one is shorter. Good plan:

*Building a Broken Mousetrap*
***2006. USA. 63 min. Directed by Jem Cohen.*
***Made in collaboration with Matt Boyd.*
**
*Friday, April 13 / 9:00 PM*
**This concert film captures one performance by the Dutch band the Ex,
25-year veterans of the underground avant rock scene. Much like Fugazi, whom
Cohen documented in his celebrated film *Instrument*, the Ex have moved away
from their hardcore roots toward a more understated means of inspiring
resistance. Still, the music is fierce and defiantly grounded in the moment.
In capturing just one passionate performance and intercutting it with city
scenes of street life and political protest, Cohen has created something
extraordinary and unlike any concert film you've seen in a long while.
*Q&A with filmmaker following screening*
**
*Full Frame Documentary Film Festival / Civic Center Theatre One adjacent to
the Carolina Theatre, Durham *
***Directions, Full Frame www.fullframefest.org*

  • Jem Cohen Documentary about the Ex at Full Frame, grady, 04/09/2007