ch-scene - Stuff to do, Week of April 5, 2007

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, Week of April 5, 2007
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 20:18:03 -0400

Thursday, April 5
Pigeon John (http://www.pigeonjohn.com/)
Peeping Tom (http://www.myspace.com/peepingtomispatton)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Thursday, April 5
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
The Men
The Longshoremen (http://www.myspace.com/thelongshoremen)
Alias Smith & Jones (http://www.myspace.com/aliassmithandjonesband)
Kings, Raleigh

The Maple Stave make sinewy mostly-instrumental 3-piece indie mathrock from Durham. Alias Smith & Jones is a new band with Greg Eades, who played bass for the late late great Vanilla Trainwreck, and Danny Kurtz, who was in the late late great Backsliders.

Thursday, April 5
Beloved Binge (http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge)
The Gates of Beauty (http://www.myspace.com/gatesofbeauty)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The Gates of Beauty are Anne Gomez (Cantwell Gomez Jordan) & Wendy Spitzer (Eyes to Space) on bass, and Shannon Morrow (Scene of the Crime Rovers) on drums. They make spacey rubberbandy 2-bass-n-drums rock.

Beloved Binge are from Durham: Rob plays guitar & drums; Eleni plays drums & guitar. They both sing. Not all their songs are about misanthropy, but enough are that I really love 'em.

Thursday, April 5
Phon
Kolyma (http://www.myspace.com/kolyma)
The Hem of His Garment (http://www.myspace.com/thehemofhisgarment)
Volume 11 Tavern, Raleigh

Volume 11 is the new club on the block in Raleigh. Up til now it has largely been booking metal/hardrock shows, but with the impending demise of Kings, will it be willing/able to stomach the thought of booking a wider variety?

This show could be considered a test of sorts, therefore. Kolyma are pretty freaking heavy, in an acid-damaged roll-on-the-floor freak-rock kind of way. But Phon and The Hem of His Garment are both drone central, albeit at wildly varying volumes, with Phon holding down the more ambient end of the spectrum, and The Hem threatening to render your ears obsolete.

Thursday, April 5
Remora (http://www.silbermedia.com/remora/)
Hotel Hotel (http://www.myspace.com/hotelhotel)
Revenge of Shinobi (http://www.myspace.com/revengeofshinobi)
Clod and Pebble (http://www.myspace.com/clodandpebble)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, April 6
Pulsoptional (http://www.pulsoptional.org/)
The Hem of His Garment (http://www.myspace.com/thehemofhisgarment)
Bivins, Davis, and Ghaphery (http://www.umbrellarecordings.com/release.php?id=12)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

This is a CD-release party for the new CD from the Durham-based 21st-century composers' collective Pulsoptional. Also on the bill, local improvisers Bivins, Davis & Ghaphery, and Brown Sound questers The Hem of His Garment, who're wrapping up their whirlwind 3-night tour of the Triangle this evening.

Friday, April 6
Brown Mountain Lights (http://www.brownmountainlights.net/)
Phil Lee (http://www.phillee1.com)
Hege V (http://www.vivanashvegas.com/home.htm)
Hideaway BBQ, Raleigh

Hege V is the country-rock-ish band of George Hamilton V, son of country legend George Hamilton IV. They put out a great twangy proto-alt-country album back in the 80s, and then broke up when George headed to Nashville.

Joining Hege is another Raleigh->Nashville expat, Phil Lee, as well as the not-yet-moved-to-Nashville Brown Mountain Lights.

Friday, April 6
TV Knife (http://www.myspace.com/tvknife)
Hard Lessons (http://www.thehardlessons.com/)
Double Negative (http://www.myspace.com/thedoublenegative)
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
The Vicious
Kings, Raleigh

The final weekend at Kings commences with this mixed bag of kickass oldschool hardcore (Double Negative), uncategorizable Raleigh weirdness (TV Knife) and post-The Weather Badfingeryness (Magic Babies).

Friday, April 6
Chest Pains (http://www.myspace.com/thechestpains)
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The Chest Pains are punk in that cool old-man way, kinda like how Mike Watt is punk. Except Mike Watt is playing bass for the Stooges right now, and even though they're old and kinda suck, that's still pretty fuckin' punk, so don't expect the Chest Pains to live up to that standard.

Also on the bill: Blag'ard, whose guitarist Joe Taylor swears, in 20+ years of playing guitar, that he never even attached a whammy bar to his guitar until he started Blag'ard last year. Now he's writing whole songs using little else but the thing. Like if Steve Vai had taken Eric Johnson's place in the Archers.

Friday, April 6
Nola (http://www.myspace.com/nolaband)
The New Familiars (http://www.myspace.com/fedorandguthrie)
Gambling the Muse (http://www.myspace.com/gamblingthemuse)
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Nola had a CD-release party just the other day, but it was also apparently their last show. That's pretty much a classic Triangle move, right there, so more power to 'em.

Not sure whether frontwoman Christy Smith will be making this gig as a solo artist, or if it's even still going on, since Bickett too has lately announced that it's calling it a day.

Saturday, April 7
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
The Dynamite Brothers (http://www.dynamitebrothers.com/)
The Greatest Hits (http://www.thegreatesthits.org/)
Black Taj (http://www.amishrecords.com/ami021.html)
Birds of Avalon (http://www.myspace.com/birdsofavalon)
Kings, Raleigh

This is the final rockshow at Kings (well, there's actually also an afternoon kiddie show on Sunday, but unless you're an afternoon kiddie, this is it). I've seen a lot of clubs come & go, but in terms of impact on Raleigh music, this is as major as losing the Fallout. Probably moreso than that, even, though the loss of the Fallout sure *felt* awful. Kings is one of those clubs where everything just feels right; they found their rhythm early on, and the friendliness of the owners & staff made it a place where anything could happen, from straight-up Raleigh Rock to some serious high weirdness.

Something will appear to fill the void, whether another Kings, or something else, but yet the void will remain.

p.s. just got an email that Noncanon have been added to this show, at the front end, so arrive early.

Saturday, April 7
Fin Fang Foom (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/finfangfoom.html)
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

This is a benefit for Callum Robbins, son of Jawbox's J. Robbins. Cal is a little over a year old, and has Spinal Muscular Atrophy.

These three bands bring the rockpower, from the ultra-low sludgemetal of Caltrop, to the moody atmospheric postpunk of Fin Fang Foom, and the anthemic working-class east-coast bar-rock of Red Collar.

Saturday, April 7
Evil Wiener (http://www.evilwienerworld.com/)
Joe Romeo (http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is Joe Romeo plus the current lineup of his Orange County Volunteers: smart countryish pop with a literate streak, and a weird one at that.

Got an email from Billy Sugarfix about this show: "Chuck, Groves and I will be opening the late show at the Cave this Saturday. Mister Joe Romeo and his Orange County Volunteers will be following. Although this was supposed to be our one non-holiday show of the year, the proximity to Easter will not be ignored entirely. We shall parallel the resurrection of Christ by resurrecting some old songs that we haven't played in a very long time. I know it isn't exactly a mural of Peter Cottontail eating peeps on the side of a hard boiled egg, but it should rock."

Saturday, April 7
Charles Latham (http://www.myspace.com/sircharleslatham)
The Tourist (http://www.myspace.com/thetouristnc)
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

This is a CD-release party for Cary mope-folker The Tourist. Smartalecky young antifolker Charles Latham opens. I think Charles needs to spend less time skewering consumerism and religion, and more time skewering smartalecky antifolkers, but I like him nevertheless.

Sunday, April 8
Mommie
Kings, Raleigh

The actual last show at Kings is this matinee:

MOMMIE...LIVE! April 8, EASTER SUNDAY, 4pm THE LAST EVER SHOW AT KINGS (REALLY)! BRING THE FAMILY!

The players:
Doug MacMillan - singer
Bo Taylor - guitar
Shepard Lane - pedal steel
Mike Ayers - guitar
Ben Barwick - bass guitar
Ray Duffy - drums
The material: BULLDOZER, MAMA'S PAJAMAS, DUMPTRUCK, AIRPLANE, CHERRY PICKER, ROLLER MAN, TOW TRUCK, SHADOW, BUBBLE, AND MORE!

4PM...KIDS KIDS KIDS! (and the bar will be open)

Monday, April 9
Twilighter (http://twilighter.net/)
Bang! Bang! (http://www.bangbangband.com/)
Dry Heathens (http://www.myspace.com/dryheathens)
Reservoir, Carrboro

Tuesday, April 10
Sweater Weather (http://www.sweater-weather.com)
Carter Gaj (http://www.myspace.com/cartergaj)
Josh Nowlan (http://www.citiesmusic.com/)
Black Swamp Bootleggers (http://www.blackswampbootleggers.net)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a benefit for C.A.A.R.E. Inc. Josh Nowlan usually fronts Cities. Black Swamp Bootleggers are a UNC-attending bluegrass band who've had a regular gig at Milltown recently.

Sweater Weather are a large-ish emo-chamber-pop band with keening vocals, orchestral arrangements, and tousled hair.

Wednesday, April 11
Veronique Diabolique (http://www.veroniquediabolique.com/)
HUMANWINE (http://www.myspace.com/humanwine)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

HUMANWINE are really picky about the typography of their name. They also have a "street team." Not sure how they'd ever be able to come back from a deficit that big, but the melodramatic/cabaret music on their MySpace was actually kind of pleasant, in an overly-arty kind of way. I suppose it'd be less so if I thought they took it completely seriously, which I suspect they actually do.

Veronique Diabolique try to keep a straight face, but it's hard to do that while wearing fishnets & vinyl trousers & putting that much chorus on the guitar.

Thursday, April 12
Double Negative (http://www.myspace.com/thedoublenegative)
Cross Laws (http://www.myspace.com/crosslaws)
Out With a Bang (http://www.myspace.com/owab)
Brutal Knights (http://www.myspace.com/brutalknights)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

It's a transcontinental hardcore duel-to-the-death, featuring Italy's Out With a Bang & Canada's Brutal Knights vs. Carrboro's Cross Laws & Raleigh's Double Negative. I was gonna say "what, no Durham hardcore," but then I thought oh, the Durham HC must be over at Marvell tonight . . . but then I checked & only one of the three bands playing *there*, Doop, is from Durham, and they're not really hardcore, more like fake/funny anti-emo-core. Hmm.

Thursday, April 12
Doop (http://www.myspace.com/shutupanddoopit)
Hazerai (http://www.myspace.com/hazerai)
Sleepwalker (http://www.myspace.com/wearesleepwalker)
Marvell Building, Durham

Thursday, April 12
Trans Am (http://www.transband.com)
The Psychic Paramount (http://www.thepsychicparamount.com/)
Zombi (http://www.zombi.us/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Friday, April 13
Honored Guests (http://www.thehonoredguests.com/)
Nathan Asher & the Infantry (http://www.nathanasher.com/)
Nathan Oliver (http://www.nathan-oliver.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Wait, is there somebody named Nathan in the Honored Guests? I can't remember. Anyway. This is a free show/party being thrown by the good people at Diversions, the weekly [Thursday] arts-and-entertainment pullout section of the Daily Tar Heel. The current crop of Diversions staffers has really gone all-out to make the section relevant, particularly local-music-wise. Plus they have a *really nice* camera and they're way too committed to taking it to multiple shows a week & posting the photos on their blog.

Music-wise, you've got the uber-heartfelt over-the-top Springsteeny anthem-rock of Nathan Asher, the somewhat more-attenuated post-graduate indie-rock of the Honored Guests, and the amusingly frantic (didn't think you could get frantic with a viola in the band, didja?) indie-pop of Nathan Oliver.

Friday, April 13
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Future Kings of Nowhere (http://www.thefuturekings.net/)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

Future Kings of Nowhere are a pop-punk band, but with acoustic guitar. It works pretty well, actually; you realize fairly quickly that the most annoying thing about pop-punk nowadays is the tedious overdriven-but-pristine electric guitar. Take that away, and you're left with catchy nerdy songs about love & hate & murder & stuff.

Hammer No More the Fingers are a new-ish band made up of members of some former Durham highschool bands; their song "Concrete" gets stuck in my head every time I hear it.

Red Collar are the kind of band who inspire people to call up when they hear them on the radio, just to say "this is Red Collar! They're so great!"

Friday, April 13
Tyler Hipnosis
AOK (http://www.myspace.com/aoknc)
Crash (http://www.myspace.com/crashkills)
Places to Live (http://ihatemencia.googlepages.com)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Friday, April 13
Dan Bryk (http://www.bryk.com/)
Snuzz (http://www.snuzz.com/)
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Thus begins the countdown to the end of Bickett Gallery, at least in its Bickett Blvd incarnation. I live close to an hour away from the thing, so I've only been there maybe a dozen times since it opened ~5 years ago. What's your excuse?

It's arch/witty pop night tonight, with longtime/oldschool Greensboro smartass popster Snuzz, and Toronto-via-Raleigh smarty-pants Dan Bryk, who puts that famous Canadian self-deprecation to work in the service of some really classically great screwy popsongs.

Friday, April 13
Kylesa (http://www.kylesa.com/)
Buildings To Dust (http://www.myspace.com/buildingstodust)
Tooth
Volume 11 Tavern, Raleigh

Friday, April 13
The Tourist (http://www.myspace.com/thetouristnc)
Wes Phillips (http://www.myspace.com/wesleydongeroga)
Andy Abelow (http://www.myspace.com/andyabelow)
The Love Language (http://www.myspace.com/thelovelanguage)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This time around, the Friday-the-13th bad luck comes in the form of Too Many Shows to choose from.

Friday, April 13
The Bleeding Hearts (http://www.thebleedinghearts.net/home.html)
Slim's Downtown, Raleigh

Saturday, April 14
The Whole World Laughing (http://www.myspace.com/twwl)
Opening Flower Happy Bird (http://www.myspace.com/openingflowerhappybird)
Midtown Dickens (http://www.myspace.com/midtowndickens)
Apis Bull (http://www.apisbull.com/)
Beloved Binge (http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Duo-Fest! This is an all-day (OK, well, all afternoon-and-evening) event, featuring the following bands, all DUOs:

Robo Sapien
A New Dawn Fades
Beloved Binge
Midtown Dickens
Phon
Jew(s) & Catholic(s)
The Whole World Laughing
Oh My God I Just Had the Most Amazing Year
Eberhardt
Sequoya
Opening Flower Happy Bird
Apis Bull
It's Reigning Men
Emotional Joystick
Salt

Dinner will be served somewhere in the middle of all that, so bring a covered dish if you want, I guess, and a few bucks, and maybe a lawn chair. No Jarts; the floor is concrete.

Saturday, April 14
Dave Fox Group (http://www.davefoxgroup.com)
Bruce Eisenbeil (http://www.eisenbeil.com)
The Punks (http://www.myspace.com/thepunks)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Jazz, of the longhaired thinking-man's variety. Seriously, I'll betcha notorious longhair Walt Davis would be advising you to attend this show, if he were still around, but he up & moved his ass to New Zealand back in '04 after Bush got re-elected.

Saturday, April 14
The Never (http://www.trekkyrecords.com/never.html)
Emperor X (http://www.emperorx.net/ )
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruits)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Jesus H. Christ, those kids over at WUAG [UNC-Greensboro's college radio station] seem to be deadset on putting out a CD a year, all featuring music recorded at the station or in the greater Greensboro area. This is a CD-release party for the latest one. It's like they own a plastic mine or something.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------