ch-scene - stuff to do, week of March 30, 2007

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: stuff to do, week of March 30, 2007
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 17:16:59 -0400

Friday, March 30
Phon
Opening Flower Happy Bird (http://www.myspace.com/openingflowerhappybird)
OK Bird
305 South, Durham

This is a free show that commences at 8:00 p.m. Opening Flower Happy Bird are half-Carrboro, half-Richmond; their rig consists of a couplea drumkits, a guitar, and a laptop, and with those they make cute rattletrap melancholy dancepop.

Friday, March 30
Ted Leo + Pharmacists (http://www.gernblandsten.com/ted/intro)
Love of Diagrams (http://www.loveofdiagrams.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, March 30
Jeff Hart & The Ruins
The Hanks (http://www.thehanks.com/)
Killer Filler (http://www.myspace.com/killerfiller)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

The Hanks were a Raleigh rockband that included Ron Bartholomew and Jeff Hart; they were around from '87 until I dunno exactly. They were of the generation upon whom Arrogance were a huge influence, and in fact played some gigs backing that band's Robert Kirkland once he went solo. But they could also be a little more "punk" or at least "new wave," especially on the genius "Cigarette," which is now on their MySpace page (and in the player. It may be the best song to come out of Raleigh circa '88.

Friday, March 30
BQs
A Rooster for the Masses (http://www.myspace.com/aroosterforthemasses)
Blag'ard (http://www.blagard.com/)
Kings, Raleigh

Only two more weekends left at the current version of Kings . . .

Friday, March 30
des_ark (http://www.des-ark.org)
Nathan Asher (http://www.nathanasher.com)
Monologue Bombs (http://www.myspace.com/themonologuebombs)
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

This used to be listed for 3/23, but now it's listed for 3/30. Sorry for the confusion. Monologue Bombs is the solo accordion-and-voice side-project of Goner's Scott Phillips. He has duetted once or twice, at the Kings Love Hangover, with des_ark's Aimee Argote (and his other band has been known to toss off the occasional des_ark cover as well). No word yet on when Aimee's gonna work up that Goner cover. I believe this is a CD-release for Monologue Bombs.

Friday, March 30
Regina Hexaphone (http://www.reginahexaphone.com)
Casados (http://myspace.com/casadosmusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Friday, March 30
Eyes to Space (http://www.eyestospace.net/)
Senryu (http://www.senryutheband.com/)
Invasion (http://www.myspace.com/invasionmusic)
Sleepsound (http://www.sleepsound.org/)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for uber-nerd band Eyes to Space.

Saturday, March 31
The Moaners (http://www.themoaners.com/)
Spider Bags (http://www.myspace.com/spiderbags)
Un Deux Trois (http://www.undeuxtroisband.com/)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a CD-release party for the Moaners' brand-new CD _Blackwing Yalobusha_, which is a lot like their first CD, only moreso, albeit perhaps more slowly, which shouldn't necessarily surprise given that it was recorded in Mississippi.

Warning to whomever wants to listen: last time I tried to see the Spider Bags at the Cradle, smack in the middle of a multi-band bill, they took like 40 minutes to set up their shit, and then all adjourned to the bar. I left at the 1-hour mark, so I dunno exactly when they finally managed to get their asses onstage. Bring a book; it'll give you something to throw at them.

Saturday, March 31
Schooner (http://www.schoonermusic.com)
Tennis and the Mennonites (http://www.tennisandthemennonites.com)
Bull City (http://www.bullcitytheband.com/)
The Tiny Meteors (http://www.myspace.com/thetinymeteors)
Sugar in the Dirt (http://www.myspace.com/sugarinthedirt)
Kings, Raleigh

This say this one starts right at 9:30, and with 5 bands, you'd perhaps best hope so. Schooner have signed up with 54-40 or Fight, the label that released the two proper Ticonderoga CDs. Tennis & the Mennonites released a CD last year called _Quilt Noise_, although I'm not sure they ever got around to sending it to press & radio. Insert tree/forest joke here.

Saturday, March 31
The Keep (http://www.purevolume.com/thekeep)
Embarrassing Fruits (http://www.myspace.com/embarrassingfruits)
Hammer No More the Fingers (http://www.hnmtf.com)
I Was Totally Destroying It (http:/www.myspace.com/iwtdi)
305 South, Durham

I Was Totally Destroying It is a new band with John Booker (En Garde, ex-Strunken White), James Hepler (Sorry About Dresden), and a couple of folks from the young Durham band A-OK. This is their first show.

Saturday, March 31
Wigg Report (http://www.synchronizedswim.org)
Chest Pains (http://www.myspace.com/thechestpains)
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

Is this punk rock? Your average 14-year-old Green Day fan would emphatically disagree, but the DIY spirit, the stripped-down sounds, the urgency, the anger, the politics & the sense of humor all point to yes. Shit, Wigg Report may be an acoustic "antifolk" band with a drummer who plays snare standing up, but they totally rock the Agent Orange cover.

Saturday, March 31
Boxbomb
Barbarella (www.myspace.com/barbarellach)
Stone Fox
Slow Motion Crash (http://www.myspace.com/smctheband)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, March 31
DJ Nasty Boots
Crash (http://www.myspace.com/crashkills)
Le Weekend (http://www.myspace.com/mattwkalb)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Le Weekend is a new band featuring ex-members of Hotel Motel & Piedmont Charisma. It's more or less the brainchild of HotMot/Audubon Park guitarist Matt Kalb, so it's kinda proggy, kinda Televisiony, kinda Steely Dan. Plus Bob Wall plays some of the nicest basslines I've ever heard.

Sunday, April 1
Savage Knights (http://www.retroactivedynamics.com)
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Savage Knights are one of the many bands that Crowmeat Bob is in. They have a pretty good description of themselves on their MySpace page, so here you go:

"We make jazz-like music. Mike Isenberg and Crowmeat Bob are our primary composers -- they play drums and reeds/guitar, respectively. Jon "The Hubb" plays tenor sax. Peter Lamb has been playing tenor, too, and hopefully some clarinet. Phil Martelli was our bass man for a good spell, but we've recently signed on Chris Eubank to make an assay . . . The charts vary stylistically from straight chord-change jazz to heavy-metal-jazz to Ornette-like head-improv-head to whatever else we feel like. One number doesn't even have any improvised parts."

5:00 p.m. 88.7 FM or wxdu.org.

Sunday, April 1
Can Joann (http://www.canjoann.com/)
Jaguar Club (http://www.jaguarclubofnyc.net)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Sunday, April 1
Menomena (http://www.menomena.com/)
Megafaun (http://www.myspace.com/megafaun)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monday, April 2
Electric Six (http://www.electricsix.com/index.html)
Test Your Reflex (http://www.myspace.com/testyourreflex)
Night Kills the Day (http://www.nightkillstheday.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Monday, April 2
Xiu Xiu (http://www.epitonic.com/artists/xiuxiu.html)
Shearwater (http://jound.com/shearwater/main.html)
Casiotone for the Painfully Alone (http://www.tomlab.com/front/index.php?action=artist_detail&artist_id=4)
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Monday, April 2
Can Joann (http://www.canjoann.com/)
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Jaguar Club (http://www.jaguarclubofnyc.net)
Kings, Raleigh

Tuesday, April 3
Lucero (http://www.lucerofamily.net/)
American Princes (http://www.americanprinces.com/)
Catfish Haven (http://www.catfishhaven.com)
Jeremy Fisher (http://www.therealjeremyfisher.com)
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, April 3
Honored Guests (http://www.thehonoredguests.com/)
Gray Young (http://www.myspace.com/grayyoung)
Left Outlet (http://www.myspace.com/leftoutlet)
Kings, Raleigh

Gray Young are a relatively young shoegazery indie-rock band from around here somewhere. Honored Guests make moody indie-pop. Dunno Left Outlet, yet.

Tuesday, April 3
Tooth
Giant Squid (http://giantsquidmusic.com)
Grayceon (http://www.grayceon.com)
Reservoir, Carrboro

There's a good entry on Tooth in the Indy's music blog, Scan: http://www.indyweekblogs.com/scan/show-feedback/death-to-pastel-punx/

Wednesday, April 4
Sebadoh (http://www.sebadoh.com/)
The Bent Moustache (http://www.thebentmoustache.com)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Wednesday, April 4
Twilighter (http://twilighter.net/)
Eberhardt (http://www.myspace.com/eberhardtnc)
Guitar Bomb (http://www.guitarbomb.com)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Twilighter is a weird-good band of local music veterans; they've got a Velvet Underground influence, a little bit of Orange County twang, and a nervous energy that makes 'em seem less veteran than they are.

Wednesday, April 4
Jack Rose (http://www.vhfrecords.com/jackrose/)
The Hem of His Garment (http://www.myspace.com/thehemofhisgarment)
Gowns (http://www.myrobobedroom.com)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

The Hem of His Garment make massive overamped drones; when they want to, they can harness a couple of dozen people (and a couple of dozen amps, natch) and build the biggest wall of sound you've ever heard, period. Or they can do something completely different.

Thursday, April 5
Pigeon John (http://www.pigeonjohn.com/)
Peeping Tom (http://www.myspace.com/peepingtomispatton)
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Thursday, April 5
Maple Stave (http://www.maplestave.com)
The Men
The Longshoremen (http://www.myspace.com/thelongshoremen)
Alias Smith & Jones (http://www.myspace.com/aliassmithandjonesband)
Kings, Raleigh

The Maple Stave make sinewy mostly-instrumental 3-piece indie mathrock from Durham. Alias Smith & Jones is a new band with Greg Eades, who played bass for the late late great Vanilla Trainwreck, and Danny Kurtz, who was in the late late great Backsliders.

Thursday, April 5
Beloved Binge (http://www.myspace.com/belovedbinge)
The Gates of Beauty (http://www.myspace.com/gatesofbeauty)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The Gates of Beauty are Anne Gomez (Cantwell Gomez Jordan) & Wendy Spitzer (Eyes to Space) on bass, and Shannon Morrow (Scene of the Crime Rovers) on drums. They make spacey rubberbandy 2-bass-n-drums rock.

Beloved Binge are from Durham: Rob plays guitar & drums; Eleni plays drums & guitar. They both sing. Not all their songs are about misanthropy, but enough are that I really love 'em.

Thursday, April 5
Remora (http://www.silbermedia.com/remora/)
Hotel Hotel (http://www.myspace.com/hotelhotel)
Revenge of Shinobi (http://www.myspace.com/revengeofshinobi)
Clod and Pebble (http://www.myspace.com/clodandpebble)
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Friday, April 6
Pulsoptional (http://www.pulsoptional.org/)
Broad Street Cafe, Durham

This is a CD-release party for the new CD from the Durham-based 21st-century composers' collective Pulsoptional.

Friday, April 6
Brown Mountain Lights (http://www.brownmountainlights.net/)
Phil Lee (http://www.phillee1.com)
Hege V (http://www.vivanashvegas.com/home.htm)
Hideaway BBQ, Raleigh

Hege V is the country-rock-ish band of George Hamilton V, son of country legend George Hamilton IV. They put out a great twangy proto-alt-country album back in the 80s, and then broke up when George headed to Nashville.

Joining Hege is another Raleigh->Nashville expat, Phil Lee, as well as the not-yet-moved-to-Nashville Brown Mountain Lights.

Friday, April 6
TV Knife (http://www.myspace.com/tvknife)
Hard Lessons (http://www.thehardlessons.com/)
Double Negative (http://www.myspace.com/thedoublenegative)
Magic Babies (http://www.myspace.com/themagicbabies)
The Vicious
Kings, Raleigh

The final weekend at Kings commences with this mixed bag of kickass oldschool hardcore (Double Negative), uncategorizable Raleigh weirdness (TV Knife) and post-The Weather Badfingeryness (Magic Babies).

Friday, April 6
Chest Pains (http://www.myspace.com/thechestpains)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

The Chest Pains are punk in that cool old-man way, kinda like how Mike Watt is punk. Except Mike Watt is playing bass for the Stooges right now, and even though they're old and kinda suck, that's still pretty fuckin' punk, so don't expect the Chest Pains to live up to that standard.

Friday, April 6
Nola (http://www.myspace.com/nolaband)
The New Familiars (http://www.myspace.com/fedorandguthrie)
Gambling the Muse (http://www.myspace.com/gamblingthemuse)
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Nola had a CD-release party just the other day, so hopefully they'll have copies to sell at this show. Their debut EP was most excellent, in a Knitters-y country kind of way, so I have high hopes for this followup.

Saturday, April 7
The Loners (http://www.demonbeachrecords.com/loners.html)
The Dynamite Brothers (http://www.dynamitebrothers.com/)
The Greatest Hits (http://www.thegreatesthits.org/)
Black Taj (http://www.amishrecords.com/ami021.html)
Birds of Avalon (http://www.myspace.com/birdsofavalon)
Kings, Raleigh

This is the final rockshow at Kings (well, there's actually also an afternoon kiddie show on Sunday, but unless you're an afternoon kiddie, this is it). I've seen a lot of clubs come & go, but in terms of impact on Raleigh music, this is as major as losing the Fallout. Probably moreso than that, even, though the loss of the Fallout sure *felt* awful. Kings is one of those clubs where everything just feels right; they found their rhythm early on, and the friendliness of the owners & staff made it a place where anything could happen, from straight-up Raleigh Rock to some serious high weirdness.

Something will appear to fill the void, whether another Kings, or something else, but yet the void will remain.

Saturday, April 7
Fin Fang Foom (http://www.lovitt.com/artists/finfangfoom.html)
Caltrop (http://www.myspace.com/caltropband)
Red Collar (http://www.myspace.com/redcollarmusic)
Bull City Headquarters, Durham

This is a benefit for Callum Robbins, son of Jawbox's J. Robbins. Cal is a little over a year old, and has Spinal Muscular Atrophy.

These three bands bring the rockpower, from the ultra-low sludgemetal of Caltrop, to the moody atmospheric postpunk of Fin Fang Foom, and the anthemic working-class east-coast bar-rock of Red Collar.

Saturday, April 7
Joe Romeo (http://www.myspace.com/joeromeomusic)
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, April 7
Charles Latham (http://www.myspace.com/sircharleslatham)
The Tourist (http://www.myspace.com/thetouristnc)
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

This is a CD-release party for Cary mope-folker The Tourist. Smartalecky young antifolker Charles Latham opens. I think Charles needs to spend less time skewering consumerism and religion, and more time skewering smartalecky antifolkers, but I like him nevertheless.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------