ch-scene - Re: Fancy Ear Plugs follow-up

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Jeremy Blair" <jerblar AT gmail.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Fancy Ear Plugs follow-up
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 14:59:40 -0400

what?

On 3/30/07, koegler AT email.unc.edu <koegler AT email.unc.edu> wrote:

A while back I asked this list about fancy earplugs and then after some
research, I dropped $150+ for a pair of Sensaphonics. I was emailing a
friend about mine and thought I'd copy the info here since it might be
a useful follow-up to the earlier posts.

(Fancy fitted earplugs require ear impressions made by an audiologist)

I went to Carolina ENT for my ear impressions
(www.chapelhillent.com)--942-7278. Their office is up near Timberlyne.
I saw Kristie McCulloch. She was very nice and I think the process
only cost about $20...I'm not sure if my insurance helped bring the
cost down some. Then I mailed the impressions to Sensaphonics
(www.sensaphonics.com) and they made the plugs (w/ clear silicon).
There are other companies you can use like Westone, Sensaphonics are
reputedly softer cause of the silicon. The replaceable filters in the
plugs are Etymotic 15dB.

I've got mixed feelings about my plugs. For one thing, 15dB isn't
enough for me when playing drums or at a loud show (eg, Mastodon) and I
should've gone w/ a higher protection, but the individual filters are
really expensive (like $60/pr). Also the next step up is to 25dB and
not 20dB filters, and I wonder if 25 would be too much.

Sensaphonics will replace the filters in 30 days if you're not happy
w/ the ones you have, but I drew on mine w/ a sharpie by accident so I
didn't try. I haven't worn them much when I play because the 15dB
protection isn't enough. And I don't wear them out much because I
worry about losing them --they cost $150 + $6 shipping + $20 for the
impressions. I also expected more of a sealing effect w/ regards to the
fit.

I'll probably spring for the 25dB filters at some point and start using
them more. Sensaphonics seems to be a pretty straight-up company and
other people who use their stuff seem very happy.

A cheaper way to go and still have Etymotic filter protection (20dB)
are the Etymotic ETY plugs (http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx)
which cost $12/pr, but they stick out of your ears kind of like
Frankenstein. There's a version of them you can get at Guitar Center
too (Dude...Gtr Ctr!). And then there's the foam plugs like Hearos for
$.50 that I wore for about 20 years (not the same pair that whole time).

RK