ch-scene - Re: Kings chat

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Kings chat
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:45:45 -0400

Have you been to BCHQ yet? Also, 305 South is ramping back up . . .

James Hepler wrote:
This might sound like an exceptionally stupid
question, but does it have to be Raleigh? It sure
would be nice to have one more good venue in Durham.

--- Todd Morman <tmorman AT nc.rr.com> wrote:

A couple of things Steve Popson mentioned on the
show that may not have been
mentioned before:

1. Kings had been assured as recently as
December/January that their space
was secure.

2. It wasn't until the county did a survey of the
property that it was
discovered that plans interfered with Kings'
building. Steve said it was "a
matter of inches," but it was enough for the county
to have to talk with the
owner, who was happy to take advantage of the
situation to get the building
demolished on the county's dime.

3. Kings is looking at a number of places, including
the space next to
Slim's, and is talking to a local landlord who's
usually a little "under the
radar" but wants to help. Steve said nothing's
definite and he didn't want
to jinx anything, but there are some options. Martin
Street Music Hall
seemed off the table for unknown reasons (I've heard
rumors elsewhere it's
already been leased to somone else, but who knows
what the Bender family is
up to).

4. They won't be able to open up with their own
money this time, and will
have to talk to banks to help with remodeling, etc.

5. Assuming the space thing works out, they're
seriously considering the
addition of a restaurant to help the place make
money aside from a couple of
hours on Friday and Saturday nights.

todd there was more but I think that's the stuff
you'd most be interested in
morman

-- ch-scene: the list that mirrors
alt.music.chapel-hill --