ch-scene - Re: mmmmmm, Durham

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Monkey Boy" <monkeyboythom AT gmail.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: mmmmmm, Durham
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 12:39:49 -0500

I had dinner there Wednesday night and had a wonderful meal. Two things
really stood out as part of the dinner.

The pate was great. Culinary students need to watch the Piedmont team
prepare this dish. Learn from them because this is what it supposed to look
like and taste. The addition of pickled vegetables added just the right
accent.

The minestrone soup. Normally, people would say, "meh," to such an ordinary
dish. But on Fall nights like we've been having and once you've tasted it,
you will kill the customers at the next table for the last bowl of this
awesome soup. Faced with the canned version of the soup or nothing at all,
you will be better served to go hungry than to eat a pale, watery imitation
of the real deal. It is as it should be. Vegetables are firm and plentiful.
The broth consistent and hearty. The potatoes, ahh the potatoes, diced for
the spoon and firm.

And the soup is only $4. Yes, indeed.

Praising another restaurant, I went to Fishmonger's last night. Short on
time, I had 30 minutes to eat something before seeing a play at Manbites Dog
theater, "exactly what t(w)o do" (http://www.manbitesdogtheater.org/171/) [I
recommend seeing the show. I don't think I will spoil the plot by saying the
set should be considered as the third character]. The chowder gets a big
thumbs up from me. I wish I had more time to sample something else from the
menu, but the soup really it the spot with the creamy oyster goodness.

As for local tarts, I may have seen some but I didn't partake.

-monkeyboythom

I ate lunch there yesterday before reading all of this and it was
great! I didn't see any foie gras being served but I saw the Chancellor
of
Duke being served...seriously he walked in as I was walking out. Abby was
very polite in serving me a locally raised tart (that had to have made me
more gay). Most importantly: sanitation grade 100!

Rawls

--
Less talk. More monkey.