ch-scene - dceo new news

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Woody" <woody AT deadceo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: dceo new news
  • Date: 12 Dec 2006 22:24:15 -0800

Hey folks-

I used to do music stuff in Chapel Hill in the late 90s before moving
to Chicago and now Brooklyn. Not sure who is still on a.m.c-h but
thought I'd drop a line to announce a new cd of my banjo/cello duo.
info below... now, back to trolling...

-Woody

+dead ceo update

**** NEW Release ****

Uncle Woody Sullender & Kevin Davis
"The Tempest is Over" CD (dceo007)
available from deadceo.com

On "The Tempest is Over" (Dead CEO), his new improvised duo record with
cellist Kevin Davis, former Chicagoan Woody Sullender continues to find
unexplored terrain for the banjo, weeding out any reference to
bluegrass or old-timey music. In his hands the instrument sometimes
evokes those of other cultures - the oud on "Strata Collide," the pipa
on "Knocking Dust" - but his MO is singular: wonderfully strangulated
tangles of notes arrive in brief bursts, then recede into gentle
arpeggios or ominous single-note runs. Davis is a wonderful
accompanist cushioning Sullender's brittle sound in mahogany chords and
spectral harmonics.
-Peter Margasak, Chicago Reader

**** NEW MP3s available ****
In order to keep up with Rupert's social network and step into this
century, a number of MP3s have been added to deadceo.com off of
previous releases. More to come in the upcoming year...