ch-scene - Re: portable recorders

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Calvin Powers" <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: portable recorders
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 18:32:13 -0500

On 11/6/06, Koegler, Robert <Koegler AT ncssm.edu> wrote:

Hello All,

So, I want to get a portable recorder to record band rehearsals, shows
(either from the mixing board or via a mic), and interviews. I'd like
them to sound pretty good, so this means recording at a pretty good
sampling rate, bit rate, whatever. What I'd prefer is an iPod that is
set-up for recording but I don't want to try and hack an older one. Re:
minidiscs--the older ones seem to require going Digital-Analog-Digital
to get stuff onto the computer, and the newer fancier ones (Sony MZ100
or MZM200) cost $300 and $400. The Edirol R09 costs $400. I know
there's some other MP3 recorders out there like Archos, but I don't have
enough info about them. It would be nice if I could also use it for
other listening pleasure (like MP3's).

I have an edirol r-9. I like it. I use it to record interviews and shows
for my podcast. I'm not an expert in sound engineering any more than I'm
expert at photography. I'm more of a point-and-record guy. But it's sounded
ok for my modest needs.

You can listen to an example of a show I recorded here.
http://cspowers.livejournal.com/173515.html. It's Junior Brown and Randy
Whit at the Cat's Cradle. I set up my recorder right in front of the sound
booth, adjusted the recording levels once at the beginning and just let it
go. Like I said, I'm no sound engineer, but I'm happy with the sound.

Good sampling/bit rate

44.1kHz or 48.0KHz Sample rate.
Formats:
WAV-24bit
WAV-16bit
MP3-320bps
MP3-224bps
MP3-192bps
MP3-160bps
MP3-128bps
MP3-96bps
MP3-64bps

Line in and Line out

Has Line in and mic-in and a line out

Easy to get stuff off and onto the computer w/out having to go
Digital-Analog-Digital

connects to pc via standard A/B USB cable. Shows up in Wndows XP as a hard
drive. Drag and drop into Windows. I assume it works that way for Mac too.

It also uses standard SD memory cards so you can take the card out and pop
it into an SD card reader.

Good, intuitive interface

not bad. I have some gripes but I had the whole thing figured out in 1/2
hour of playing with it.

Good battery life

hmm, two AA batteries seem to only last about 2-3 hours. I always start
recording a show with a fresh set. Also comes with an A/C adapter.

Maybe an internal mic preamp

Dunno about that. But it lets you adjust the recording levels and also has
an automatic gain control you can turn on (but my experience with that has
been mixed). It also has a "high gain/low gain" switch. Low gain seems to
work for interviews when the subject is very close and high gain is needed
when the subject is far away.

Could use as an MP3 player

You can plug in headphones to line out and play things you've recorded. I
assume you could drag MP3 files to it when it's connected to the PC and then
listen to them. But it doesn't really have a menu system for browsing the
files and picking them and playing them.

$250 or less

Nope. more like 300-400.