ch-scene - Re: portable recorders?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: portable recorders?
  • Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 15:52:55 -0500

I've recorded into my (now discontinued) hard disk-based MP3 player, and I have to say, the inputs are pretty mediocre. I think you're going to find that the same is true of most MP3-player type systems that aren't really dedicated to recording. If you get something with a line-in, then you can use an outboard mic pre or whatever, but that just added another couple of hundred bucks to the thing, and at that point you're better off just getting the Edirol.

Plus most portable MP3 players won't give you level controls, nor any level indicators, nor any way to disengage the automatic level control on the inputs. Perhaps there are some that *will* do all that stuff, and I'd be curious to hear people's experiences in that area.

This Sony Hi-MD is only around $200: http://www.minidisco.com/Sony-MZ-NH700S_2

I'm pretty sure that all the current Hi-MD models will record uncompressed WAV, and the page implies as such, but you might want to dig deeper to be sure. I dunno what their mic pres are like, though.

I myself like the idea of inexpensive removable media more than the idea of a hard drive. I spend a lot of time at work replacing crashed laptop hard drives, and that's for customers who treat their laptops fairly well.

Ross

Koegler, Robert wrote:
Hello All,

So, I want to get a portable recorder to record band rehearsals, shows
(either from the mixing board or via a mic), and interviews. I'd like
them to sound pretty good, so this means recording at a pretty good
sampling rate, bit rate, whatever. What I'd prefer is an iPod that is
set-up for recording but they don't make one, and I don't want to try
and hack an older one. Re: minidiscs--the older ones seem to require
going Digital-Analog-Digital to get stuff onto the computer, and the
newer fancier ones (Sony MZ100 or MZM200) cost $300 and $400. The
Edirol R09 costs $400. I know there's some other MP3 recorders out
there like Archos, but I don't have enough info about them. It would be
nice if I could also use it for other listening pleasure (like MP3's).

So, if some of you have experience w/ any of this, let me know what you
use and like. Thanks.

Recap:

Portable Digital Recorder

Good sampling/bit rate

Line in and Line out

Easy to get stuff off and onto the computer w/out having to go
Digital-Analog-Digital

Good, intuitive interface

Good battery life

Maybe an internal mic preamp
Could use as an MP3 player

$250 or less

-RK (first time caller, long time listener)