ch-scene - portable recorders?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Koegler, Robert" <Koegler AT ncssm.edu>
  • To: <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: portable recorders?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 15:25:21 -0500

Hello All,

So, I want to get a portable recorder to record band rehearsals, shows
(either from the mixing board or via a mic), and interviews. I'd like
them to sound pretty good, so this means recording at a pretty good
sampling rate, bit rate, whatever. What I'd prefer is an iPod that is
set-up for recording but they don't make one, and I don't want to try
and hack an older one. Re: minidiscs--the older ones seem to require
going Digital-Analog-Digital to get stuff onto the computer, and the
newer fancier ones (Sony MZ100 or MZM200) cost $300 and $400. The
Edirol R09 costs $400. I know there's some other MP3 recorders out
there like Archos, but I don't have enough info about them. It would be
nice if I could also use it for other listening pleasure (like MP3's).

So, if some of you have experience w/ any of this, let me know what you
use and like. Thanks.

Recap:

Portable Digital Recorder

Good sampling/bit rate

Line in and Line out

Easy to get stuff off and onto the computer w/out having to go
Digital-Analog-Digital

Good, intuitive interface

Good battery life

Maybe an internal mic preamp

Could use as an MP3 player

$250 or less

-RK (first time caller, long time listener)