ch-scene - Re: Re: Re: loveless

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "country marxist" <countrymarxist AT gmail.com>
  • To: "RTP-area local music and culture" <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Re: Re: loveless
  • Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 10:39:11 -0500

I thought you might say that Chris, and I am glad you're now showing
some restraint. And, your point is well-taken, but I did actually read
(ok, skimmed) that guy's thesis, for some strange reason, because I
have a million more important things I should have been doing last
night. In fact, getting drunk and throwing darts at my neighbors would
have been a better way to spend my time. But, I guess because I have
been intrigued by the sound of MBV for so long as to know that Kevin
Shields himself has given three separate explanations as to how he
achieved getting certain sounds, to see this poorly researched thesis
accept whatever explanation google comes up with first as the final
word, well that's just crappy research, whatever your sources. And he
doesn't list the Creation Records Story in his bibliography, which is
supposed to be one of the few detailed sources about that time
(although I haven't read it myself, because it went out of print at
least via Amazon), yadda yadda yadda. To which you say, of course it
sucks, it's a guy writing about a pop band..... I guess I read it to
see what these kind of theses were really all about, since you hear
about people writing about pop iconography and shit, and so here was a
subject that on the surface might be interesting enough for me to
read. But nope. It sucks.

On 10/6/06, Chris Calloway <ifoufo AT yahoo.com> wrote:
--- country marxist <countrymarxist AT gmail.com> wrote:
> Using fansites as primary sources? What has academia
> come to?

everything is fa..., uh, nevermind.

i had to do a doubletake. i first read your post as
"using fantasies as primary sources?"

3