ch-scene - only 2 days left to view Georges Rousse installations in Durham

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: only 2 days left to view Georges Rousse installations in Durham
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 11:11:08 -0400

Hopefully you saw the cover story in this week's Indy. If you didn't, you should go read it, but the thumbnail is that Georges Rousse uses paint & armatures & whatnot to create the illusion of abstract geometric shapes superimposed/floating within architectural spaces. If you're at all interested in Minimalism, then the concepts should be familiar to you (c.f. Dan Flavin, James Turrell), though Rousse uses reflected (off painted surfaces) rather than projected light, so Turrell would probably call him a pussy. No matter. Turrell would probably call most of us pussies, as he's spent most of the past 25 years carving out the inside of an extinct volcano out west, whereas we have not. But I digress.

I was on vacation all last week & thus missed the open house at Culture Crawl, but in any case, today & next Tuesday are the first days (and the last, apparently) when all 4 sites can be viewed.

Here's the project website: http://www.rousseprojectdurham.com

Here are some tiny photos of the finished works from the "correct" perspective:

http://www.rousseprojectdurham.com/liberty_Gallery/images/liberty014.jpg
http://www.rousseprojectdurham.com/bargain_Gallery/images/Bargain0013.jpg
http://www.rousseprojectdurham.com/baldwin_Gallery/images/baldwin11.jpg

Here's the article in the Indy: http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A37131

(there are also bigger photos of a couple of sites in the Indy article)

Here are the details of when/where it's open:

"Family and Education Day is Saturday, Sept. 23 from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. A final celebration is planned Tuesday, Sept. 26 from 5-8 p.m. at the Baldwin Building. All four sites will be open then, too.

The sites:

* The Baldwin Building, 107 W. Main St.
* Liberty Warehouse, 500 Foster St.
* Bargain Furniture, 309 E. Chapel Hill St.
* Chesterfield Building, 701 W. Main St. (use Main Street entrance near Duke Street) "

And here's a tagged map of the 4 locations I just made: http://www.tagzania.com/user/rossgrady/durham+rousse

It's a lovely day for walking around Downtown Durham.

xo

Ross

  • only 2 days left to view Georges Rousse installations in Durham, grady, 09/23/2006