ch-scene - Revenge of the Owl Monkeys

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: bendy <bendy AT duke.edu>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Revenge of the Owl Monkeys
  • Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 01:00:36 -0400

I make one flip comment about these things over two years ago....

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.music.chapel-hill/browse_frm/thread/30de330af9dd131

...and now I find myself afflicted. They're out right now, howling their "Hoo-Hoo-Hoo-Hoaah-Hwaah-Ahh-Ahh-Ahh" chant, mercilessly. They've been out every night for a week, and for at least half the nights since I moved to the neighborhood in June. The neighbors say they hear the hooting in the distance, and say it's a new thing. For me, they're right in the back yard. A tailfeather was found this morning. I ask myself, "Isn't it bad for hunting to be making such a racket?" If this is a mating call, I hear at least two other owl monkeys Hoo-hwaahing back to get in on the kinky owl monkey action. Probably more. Insatiable brutes! Figures they'd be monitoring Usenet, so outre in their tastes and habits. Their grotesque, non-Euclidian chanting is driving me mad. I warn thee fellow posters, do not speak against these devils.

- bendy